I got some Pallets!

• 18 Replies

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
I got some Pallets!
« on: February 15, 2009, 09:21 »
Now what shall I do with them!!! Is it weird to be this excited about free wood? I am thinking that I am gonna make a couple of raised beds for the boggy bit of the garden where all the crops failed last year.

I know this sounds lame but I was never really allowed to do stuff with tools when I was with my parents or with my ex hubby and it is only in the last year or so that I have decided to give it a go. I figure at nearly 30 I may not be grown up but I am probably as close as I am gonna get  :D.

That else can I do with em? Ohh yeah and please wish me luck!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: I got some Pallets!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37 »
Good luck!
You can do it...............if i can you can :lol:
I made my beds with pallet wood but you do need to fix the sides to bits of wood hammered into the ground to stop them flexing, like little fence posts, every few feet.  pallet wood is not ideal...its a bit thin really for beds. ...but it's free :lol:
Hardest thing is breaking them apart, got any friendly muscle about? ::)

You can also use them to make your compost bins

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:55 »
I am gonna have the supporting poles left long as well so that I can net/fleece or poly cover at different times in the season.

I just thought tho should I treat them with something? I am not too worried about them lasting too long as I am planning on redesigning next year and improving the boggy area significantly. I read about lining them but I could treat too if that is reccomended.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 10:06 »
I made raised beds with untreated pallet wood three years ago and mine are only now looking the worse for wear.

I'm a laydee too and I love making things.  The best thing I ever did was to invest in some power tools.
Cheese makes everything better.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:21 »
The best thing I ever did was to invest in some power tools

Way to go Ice Woo Hoo :lol:

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 10:48 »
With a good quality hammer drill and a cordless screwdriver the world is your oyster. 8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 10:54 »
I spose for the lottie you have to have cordless but i find them a bit heavy so stick wiv me extension leads :D

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 11:00 »
You can get some VERY long extension leads these days. :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 11:03 »
You can get some VERY long extension leads these days.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 16:50 »
I love using power tools as well. OH is not too thrilled with me using his babies though, but tough cookies. My favourite is the chain saw, which I'll even take up into trees to remove dead or hanging branches. Power knows no fear  ;) :lol:

I was offered a load of free skids, but took the easy route and bought lumber on sale yesterday. Was actually surprised it find it on sale. Good thing I have an estate wagon as it was very crowded inside with 16 pcs of 2x6x8's between the seats. New compost bins and raised beds, here I come!! Now where did I put my Superwoman costume?

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 20:33 »
Go girl you don't need luck just a sunny day and a plan.

Currently I am making a shed extension while my little one is at nursery and OH at work. It is for a straw bale and possibly shavings. I have the base sorted with some free timber the OH was given and then I used the tops of pallets to make a soild base. Had to buy more round nails as I ran out the other day  :( (Wicks are best for these).

I have the uprights ready to cut (again free wood from OH) and will probably use some featherboard (which I got for 6eggs) for the front. I will use more top of pallets for the sides. I will add some wood for support across the top at the front and some on the sides.

I have 4 small hinges in the loft that I can use for the lid. I plan to use a timber frame with struts and some wire for support with felt on the top.

If weather improves I will have to leave this and continue digging the strawberries so I can get the greenhouse in place  :)

I love woodwork and think everyone should give it a go.

Other things to do with pallets: fencing (we did some over 3 years ago and it looks fab still), composter, planters, small crop protections (with netting), work bench, coldframe, staging for greenhouse and I'm sure you can do many more things with them.  :wub:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 21:11 by BestBreast »

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 13:12 »
ok What is the best way to separate the pallets. I don't have much in the way of tools but I would like to make sure I get the right ones as I do not have cash burn.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 20:02 »
Easiest way is to jig saw down the edges if you don't want the full lenght (also depends on the pallet design). Then use the claw of a hammer and with force you should get the strips of wood off. You can wriggle the loose board sis to side.  Or just use the claw hammer.

It is easier if the pallets are wet or so I have been told. I pulled a load apart when they were frozen with snow and ice just becuase I had to do something outside!

Hope this helps.

noshed

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:18 »
I built a second cold frame yesterday - it only neded one pallet and an old sash window. I used a lump hammer and small crow bar on the pallet and nailed it all together with some galvanised nails. I'm going to put a few screws in next weekend for a bit more strength.
I'll do some pics then too.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2009, 21:55 »
Super to hear of the pallet stripping. I used to strip and sell the gear at one time but now I just skip hunt and make stuff with it. Just watch out for the nails if you are sawing them up as they often put them in with nail guns in great abundance.
Try looking out for skips in the area or building projects and just ask for all the scrap wood. Best of luck go, go, go.
 :)
Mad Mark

xx
pallets pallets MORE blooming

Started by muntjac on Design and Construction

16 Replies
Last post November 05, 2007, 08:51
by Selkie
xx
Uses for pallets

Started by fluffypebble on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post July 31, 2007, 01:30
by leeky
xx
Pallets and their uses

Started by SamanthaGodley on Design and Construction

15 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 09:52
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
recycled pallets

Started by gardenermatt on Design and Construction

13 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 23:18
by gardenermatt

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 34 queries.