Droopy tail feathers

• 6 Replies

simbleby

Droopy tail feathers
« on: August 07, 2011, 22:45 »
My 20 week old speckledy hen has a droopy tail and tends to rest a bit more that the rest of the small flock... she eats and drinks okay, is not laying yet and is active... should I be concerned? I have checked her crop and it is fine... her vent is clean and I cant feel an egg... any suggestions?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Droopy tail feathers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39 »
Has she been wormed and deloused recently? 

She could have a soft shelled egg in her system and have difficulty in laying it.  Try a warm water bath which you can hold her in for about 20 minutes.  Make sure she is dried well when you take her out, you can use a towel then hairdryer on a cool setting for this.  Then put her in a box with shavings somewhere quiet and dark.  This should help her if it is a soft shelled egg.  Once she has passed it she will perk up quickly.  If she doesn't there may be a second egg which one of ours does.  Double yolker gone wrong, two soft shelled eggs. 

Let us know how you get on and good luck.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

simbleby

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:47 »
She was wormed 10 weeks ago and I have checked for lice... I will try the bath and let you know...

simbleby

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 13:21 »
Gave her a bath, but no egg... although she enjoyed the bath... her tail has not been as low yesterday when she was out in the garden, but lowered again today as the 3 hens are staying in their run today.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 16:16 »
They can lay a soft shelled egg and you not know as it gets eaten with no traces left.  I have watched Bossy Boots lay one in their enclosure and within minutes there is nothing left.  Even the soft shell is gone.

Try the bath again as it may have helped her pass one egg and now she has another.  Once she gets  in the swing of things her egg shells should improve.

I am presuming they are fed on layers pellets, not too many treats and have grit and oyster shell available at all times.  If so you are on the right tracks and it should just be because she is young.

kensington chicks

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 09:56 »
Hi Simbleby,

Just wondering how your girl got on?  I have two girls not laying yet and this morning one of them Ruby is not right.

Her tail is down, and she looks as though she is asleep on her feet.   She was absolutely fine yesterday.  There was a yolk in the coop this morning.

I have given her a bath and she is currently in a quiet spare nest box.  Not sure if there is anything else I can do for now.

A worried KC...

kensington chicks

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 14:56 »
Well,   Ruby has just laid the biggest egg I have ever seen, and it was her first !

She must be thinking OMG what is this all about.

But one happy mummy!  :D

KC x

xx
droopy tail?

Started by Ben_H on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 14:20
by scarymary
xx
Droopy tail and lethargic

Started by susiesmith on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 12:41
by ANHBUC
xx
Tail feathers

Started by jonesblack on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 26, 2010, 15:07
by Beano
xx
Another thread about tail feathers!

Started by 300AJC on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 14:03
by kegs

Page created in 0.361 seconds with 38 queries.