advice needed for chicken run

• 5 Replies

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
« on: December 14, 2008, 22:50 »
Hi all, I have been gradually getting braver with our chickens. At first I was really worried they would just fly away but after the first escapee turned into two then getting them back to have another escapee and then two more I thought maybe they would just like a good run or a nibble at some different grass! They are lucky ladies when they get out as they have a very big run but it's not secure from predators.

Anyway we have been preparing the site for the chicken run. Waiting for a tree to be removed as its too big. We plan to put the current coop on slabs and they will be able to come and go as they please. We would like to build them a 6m x 3m run around the coop. Not sure if we should devide?

The birds currntly have a 90cm tall boundry they can and do fly over this. We have a lot of cats in our neighbourhood and they are getting braver, obviously I don't want any chickens to be lost this way so I want to build a run with a 'roof'.

We are intending on using 2x2 posts which will be approx 2m high (when built). We will be digging down approx 40cm and thought it would be good to use 13mm galvanised wire mesh around the bottom to keep unwanted guests out. We are not sure how it is best to create our run or what to use for the sides/roof. The tree roots will still be left and the ground is not even. We will try to level out somewhat but we will not be winning any awards for it being flat!

We have thought of netting but if a cat jumps on it will it stretch or would chicken wire be more suitable. Hoping to use wire for supporting the roof from the uprights as they may not be level or alligned.

Can anyone help with their own creations. We have found a site with fruit/poultry cages made out of alluminium seems a bit pricey and still got to dig out for wire and buy the wire (comes with poultry netting).

Thanks Diane

poultrygeist

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2008, 08:40 »
Hi Diane.

It depends of you want it to be fox proof (resistant) or just a daytime run to keep them from escaping.

Ours is about 4.5m x 4m ish. We have 25x13 welded mesh 19g on the lower 2.5ft and most of the top half but 13mm chicken wire on some of the top half. The roof is clear plastic corrugated mostly with plastic fruit netting on about 3sq metres to keep birds out.

I've had to use a load of scrap wood posts and rails to mount it all but with a few uprights, it's pretty rigid.
I can post a few photos later if that would help. :)

Rob 8)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 20:48 »
Hi, Thanks for your reply. It will only be a daytime run, mainly too keep cats and vermin/pests away. Their coop will be pretty secure on the slabs/concrete. A picture would be great. It may give me some confidence in my idea. Diane

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2008, 20:57 »
Might have to wait until wednesday when I can get to it in daylight  :)

Rob 8)

poultrygeist

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 15:39 »
Here's a few photos that hopefully show how it's knocked together. I've used 2x2 posts in metpost sockets. All the main frame is drilled and screwed but the smaller timber is nailed. The mesh and chicken wire is stapled or battened in place. The plastic roofing is over most of it but there's some more waiting to go up. Meantime the green netting keeps the wild birds out.

Sorry about the amount of pics. Took one showing the internal layout with the branches and little shelters, plus a close up showing the mesh battened to the post.

Rob 8)

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2008, 18:12 »
Thanks for that PG, looking pretty good, hope ours ends up as good as that  :?

xx
chicken run advice needed

Started by naturesparadise on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 18:11
by naturesparadise
xx
Hello from Birmingham raised bed advice needed

Started by BryterLayter on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 09:49
by Sweetpea C
xx
Advice Needed - Wooden Posts!

Started by GardenShed on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 13:17
by GardenShed
clip
Sunken Greenhouse - advice needed

Started by basketcase on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post November 25, 2020, 09:19
by John

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.