BULLIED CHICKEN!

• 15 Replies

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
BULLIED CHICKEN!
« on: July 04, 2010, 20:44 »
HELP! I HAVE 4 LEGHORN CHICKENS.1 IS A ROOSTER THE OTHER 3 ARE HENS.I THINK.....THE BIGGEST HEN IS BULLIED BY THE OTHER 3 THE ROOSTER AND THE SMALL WHITE ONES.THEY NEVER LET HER HAVE FOOD AND I LOOK IN THE NESTING BOX AND INTO THE COOP THEY ARE ALL HUDDLED UP AND SHE IS LEFT OUT'ALSO SHE HASN'T GROWN MUCH SINCE WE HAD THEM 2 MONTHS AGO.PLEASE HELP I LOVE HER JUST AS MUCH AS MY OTHERS AND MAYBE MORE BECAUSE WHEN I GO IN THE RUN TO CLEAN IT OUT SHE ALWAYS STANDS NEAR ME BUT NEVER PECKS AND WHEN THEY PECK ME THEY KEEP BULLYING HER.THE GUY SAID NOT TO SHOUT AT THEM SO I HAVE TO WATCH THEM BULLY HER.PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE!!!
CALLUM LAWTON :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: BULLIED CHICKEN!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 20:48 »
I don't know the answer but please could you remove your caps lock key?

It makes it really really hard to read your post, and is considered to be rude as it is 'shouting' at others.

Thanks
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 16:08 »
Fine but from now on I want answers to my questions not silly remarks and comments about how I write my posts

Beano

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 16:16 »
Try putting more that one feeder out so that she gets a chance to eat when they are at one food source. I would do the same with water, at least 2 to 3 places for each. At least then you can be assured that she is getting enough to eat and drink. I would also offer her some treats when the others arent looking.
It is distressing to see them being bullied and 2 months is a long time to sort out  a pecking order. Perhaps someone will come along who can give you better advice.
El.

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 16:46 »
Thank you whoever gave me that advice I really apreciate it Thanks!If you have any problems with your chickens or ducks I'll be happy to help!!!!

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 18:00 »
Fine but from now on I want answers to my questions not silly remarks and comments about how I write my posts
Yorkie is a well respected and hard working moderator on this forum.  Had any other moderator got there first they too would have asked you to remove the caps lock.  As the new boy I would suggest you take time to get to know how the forum works and show a little more respect when asked in a civil manner to do something.
Cheese makes everything better.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 18:05 »
And I will echo that.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 18:27 »
And all the moderators are backed up by Admin.

Callum very often chickens know what's what.  If the bird is much smaller than the others it could be possible that it has some sort of problem that is restricting it's growth.  Law of the jungle would make it foolish for the rest of the flock to allow a runt to consume food which would be better used feeding the more robust members of the flock - survival of the fittest !

Having said that I too would add more feeding stations to help the little hen get access to food and water.

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 08:50 »
You can shout at them. Of course, if you do it all the time then it won't have any effect, but the occasional change in your voice attracts their attention. Some people use a water pistol. As with all things, our view may not be that of the birds - watching ours go to bed there is much pecking (but with little actual contact) and often the pecked bird settles next to the one doing the pecking. A little hand feeding is good for all and you can cheat so the bullied get a good share, but beware jealousy and appear even handed. HTH

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:16 »
OMG IM LEAVING THIS SITE I THOUGHTS ITS A CHICKEN AND ALLOTMENT SITE NOT A STUPID ARGUEENT SITE SEE YA!

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 11:20 »
Actually I'm Not Leaving Because I have not only 4 chickens but 2 newcomers (another chicken)But my 2nd newcomer is a pigeon he has flown into my garden and not left since so we give him a bit of our chickens food and we've built him a little pigeon shed!!!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 15:20 »
is he/she a racing pigeon or a wild pigeon? Please be aware that wild pigeons can carry a lot of illnesses that can be harmful to your hens Cal.
Sometimes with racing pigeons there can be a reward especially if they are any good  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
3 Hens
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:25 »
Recently I have sold my rooster as he has been attacking my hens and so I had my first egg today!!!!!

Cal_Leghorn

• A white leghorn
Pigeon
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 09:32 »
I have got rid of my pigoen to as thanks to some advice I learned it could give my hens diseases

orchardlady

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 15:14 »
Hi Callum. You could also try some buckets turned on their sides in a corner so your bullied hen has somewhere to hide. Also try to make their run as interesting as possible. Hang green leaved veg up on a piece of wire. They will spend ages pecking at it as it swings around. Fun to watch to. Don't you find that being with your hens is one of the most wonderful ways to waste time?! Put a large log in there so they can hop on and off. Give them some of your lawn clippings occasionaly. Basicly try tho enrich their enviomment as much as possible. I'm quite convinced that feather pecking and bulling more often than not stems from boredom.

Best of luck and be a mellow fellow! ;)

sad
bullied chicken

Started by hillary1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 20:16
by joyfull
xx
Chicken being bullied

Started by RebeccaM on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 29, 2010, 01:55
by joshbuchan
xx
Help-chicken is being bullied

Started by new heather on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:37
by Carla
question
help have one chicken being bullied

Started by amythyst5040 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2010, 18:08
by karlooben

Page created in 0.247 seconds with 39 queries.