Flowers for bees?

• 14 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Flowers for bees?
« on: June 16, 2009, 15:05 »
I'm after suggestions...

I have an area of the lotty, approx 3mX3m? which has my bee hive and my pallet compost bin in it. It is the corner, gets shade in the morning but sun in the afternoon.

I would like to plant colourful perenial flowers in the area which would be good for the bees and provide all year cover....is this possible? I'd also like to grow some kind of climber to obscure the pallet bin? Ideally it would be a 'wild flower area' which would just be left, very little maintenance, with a small log pile to attract wildlife, insects etc.

What would people suggest??

sclarke624

Re: Flowers for bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 17:14 »
I can only suggest plants of mine that are full of bees, don't know about others.
Hebes
escallonia an evergreen shrub mine is well established was here when moved in.  I don't water it, but you probably should.  Its drought tolerant,smells nice and good for coastal areas.  It does grow tall though, well mine is.

The bees also seem to like my Calendula, also called pot marigold and the lupins.  Lavender of course bees go nuts for.

Not sure these attract bees much, but, Cornflowers clarkia previous two not perinieal I think, oxeye daisies are nice, margeurites, delphiniums, osteospermums (frost tender), Shasta daisies, carnations.

This may help
http://www.crocus.co.uk/features/_/articles-and-advice/what's-your-style/cottage-garden/articleid.999/

And this for ideas not suggesting you pay out 70 odd squid buying them.
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/wildflowers/wildflowers-for-attracting-bumble-bees/classid.2000006546/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 17:25 by sclarke624 »
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Riala

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 18:02 »
I made a flowers for Bees post ages ago... Let's see...

Here it is!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 21:20 »
Lavender and rosemary gives great tasting honey  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Ruby Red

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 09:26 »

Mick I notice you live in Derbyshire. There is a beautiful place in Nottingham called the Langer wildlife nursery. Its also called Naturescape but if you are looking on the internet its under the former name. I visited a couple of days ago and its well worth a visit. They have seeds, plugs ,plants in pots , shrubs. and trees all with just wildlife in mind. They also have native climbers. Its a wonderful peaceful place to visit. Now is ideal because a whol;e host of flowers are at their best. They have several areas over acres of land depicting different landscapes. Wetland, meadow, hedging ponds it really is gorgeous. They do mail order as well.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 19:46 »
poached egg plant, bees love it, also thyme & oregano & hardy geraniums

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 17:21 »
I have noticed masses of bees (rather scarce this year as has been publicised) on my Astrantia, and I also get loads on my garlic chives later in the year when they flower.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

shirazcat

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 08:43 »
Hi all,
         Nobody has mentioned phaecelia, I grew this originally as a green manure, but it self seeds & has a beautiful purple flower, that is a magnet for bees, When it pops up in the spring, just transplant it where you want it, It grows into a bush about 3 feet high.

Adrian.
life is too short for work

blackisgreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 08:15 »
borage ,comfrey,raspberries,vipers bugloss {biennial}st johns wort ,phacelia is good ,veronica ,ox eye daisy ,knapweed,globe thistle,verbena bonariensis,asters,hyssop,sunflowers and thymes/sages just to name a few and just to reiterate what ruby red said try the wildflower nursery at langar is brilliant i was there probably the same time as r/r cheers steve

BobandJack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 07:55 »
Foxgloves  :)

Debz

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 09:34 »
Gardener's world have a page on their site and there was a bit on breakfast news this morning (bbc) about flowers for bees.

RichardA

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 09:58 »
Marshalls do a bee seed mix some of which is phaecelia, mostly annuals I suspect but I also think they will self seed and spread !!!!!!!!!!! I have several rows in the garden amongst plants that need bees such as runner beans and they love it. My grandadughters patch is also full of bee flowers which she is growing up to understand is important
Apparently different bees have diff tongue lengths so only some flowers suit some sorts of bee, also colour important and lavender for example is favoured by some types of bees
Let us know all you find out please - this is important stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
R

Ruby Red

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 08:25 »

Honey bees have different tongue lengths to bumble bees. Yesterday I saw 5 bumblebees looking like Billy Bunter all crammed onto a thistle. Whereas most flowers will attract them, some are more popular like Buddlea, Monarda, Thistles etc. Everything in my garden is planted with nature in mind.

weathergirl

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 18:17 »
Ive noticed that lavender and foxgloves seem to attract alot of bees.
In a severe lightning storm, grab ya ankles, and stick ya butt in the air.

Roll Roll

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 09:48 »
Cottoneaster. It's evergreen(ish). It flowers all summer long which the bees love, then you have the berry's which the birds love, then it starts to drop it,s leaves very slowly. I find as the last of the leaves are falling the new one's are already starting.
I may take my time.....but i'll get there in the end.

STEVE

xx
Autumn sown flowers for bees

Started by JaK on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 16:29
by Sparkyrog
xx
helping bees

Started by Grubbypaws on General Gardening

31 Replies
Last post October 03, 2013, 01:23
by Taff the Welder
question
Bees- How to attract?

Started by Jim the builder on General Gardening

16 Replies
Last post November 19, 2010, 18:27
by Trillium
xx
Honey bees?

Started by cabbagehead on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 09:29
by mickwood

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 34 queries.