dahlias

• 15 Replies

rowlandwells

dahlias
« on: February 09, 2018, 18:17 »
we decided to have a go at growing more dahlias this year mainly tubers in pots named varieties for those of you that grow dahlia tubers can you give us some advise what's best for achieving a good dahlia in tubs that goes for compost and aftercare

we have grew dahlias  from seed for cutting and the odd tubers but any advise on dahlia growing would be much appreciated

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: dahlias
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 18:39 »
We grow an increasing number of different dahlias, some in tubs, most in the ground.

Ours overwintered in crates in a frost free greenhouse, with the occasional spray of water to make sure they don't shrivel. once shoots start to develop, smaller tubers are potted up but for some of the massive ones this is difficult so they are just kept slightly damp.

Around late March I plant them out, with about four inches of soil above the shoots, and should they appear above ground before frost are over, they are covered by a cloche or a deep pile of dryish compost. Slugs like these new shoots btw!
Dahlias like rich compost and a feed of tomato fertiliser weekly once buds start to develop. Sunshine or part shade, dead heading regularly (or cutting flowers for vases at home of course). Vert tall varieties need staking in windy conditions
Pretty forgiving overall, and the reward of masses of flowers from about the end of June until frosts

Good luck with yours... I warn you, they are addictive!!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 13:50 »
many thanks S/B for your feedback I've noted what you've said and will give that ago and your absolutely rite  on can get hooked on them

we bought some dahlias from a well known growing outlet on there open day last year in pots they where selling them of for charity they where called Dahlietta and the colours were out of this world as I have plants of that supplier I was tempted to buy a tray of Dahlietta this year in my order but they where a little bit over my budget at £57.00 a tray +VAT may be I mite save a few pennies up and get a tray next year  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 09:06 »
We have some new ones coming from Anglia Bulbs, which are modestly priced for a single tuber. They soon bulk up!! Check them out... and no drooling please  :lol: :lol:

Featherstone

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 14:57 »
If you are growing them for cut flowers then the best way to grow them apparently is from cuttings as they are more vigorous. I am yet to find out. My cuttings failed last year  :(

Stewarty

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 17:22 »
I've confessed to my dahlia fixation on another thread. Let me now confess that, as well as all those dahlias that I'm hoping will survive this nasty winter in the ground at my allotments, plus those plants I've ordered just in case some don't survive, I've just discovered seeds for 'Bishop's Children'. These are dark-leaved varieties bred from the lovely Bishop of Llandaff'. As they are single blooms, and very colourful,  they are said to be good at attracting pollinators  -  so that's my excuse. I have 24 seeds in a seed tray in my conservatory, (which is getting a bit crowded already), and plenty in reserve for later if necessary.....

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 17:24 »
we bought some tubers from Homebase and wilkinsons looked decent tubers and all named varieties have looked in the seed tin and have quite a few packets of dahlia seed  so I'm going to sow those to see how we get on with growing from seed for cut flowers

I looked on Anglia bulbs site they seem to be the same price as Sarah raven's although I think Sarah raven's mite be now P&P free now ?  all named varieties mite be worth having a look at

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 17:33 »
I bought mine from here, they are a bit cheaper than S Raven's
https://www.peternyssen.com/our-shop/spring-planting/dahlias.html

But yes, I also have a packet of pompom dahlia seed in the stash :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 18:43 »
Yes I looked at that site... some very nice ones at a good price

We shall have to start a dahlia swap-shop at this rate  :lol: :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 08:17 »
I've just discovered seeds for 'Bishop's Children'.

I grew those one year.  They are very easy and flower for ages.  They are lovely bright clear colours and the bees do love them.

Mine didn't make it through the winter in the ground, but they only make small tubers in the first year.  It might be worth lifting them and storing them somewhere.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 18:02 »
rite guys if you grow Dahlias from seed you end up with small tubers at the end of the season so when you lift you tubers and store overwinter then re plant in the spring do you end up with bigger  tubers that produce larger flowers say on the third season

or am I only dreaming this mite happen  :unsure:  :D :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 08:04 »
so when you lift you tubers and store overwinter then re plant in the spring do you end up with bigger  tubers that produce larger flowers say on the third season

I don't think the flowers get larger, but the tubers do year on year.  That means a bigger plant that produces more flowers.  Bishops Children have smallish, single flowers, so are not big fancy dahlias.  They are just very simple but pretty and the flowers show up well against the dark leaves.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2018, 10:22 »
so when you lift you tubers and store overwinter then re plant in the spring do you end up with bigger  tubers that produce larger flowers say on the third season

I don't think the flowers get larger, but the tubers do year on year.  That means a bigger plant that produces more flowers.  Bishops Children have smallish, single flowers, so are not big fancy dahlias.  They are just very simple but pretty and the flowers show up well against the dark leaves.

Yes, the flowers are the size for the cultivar, and so, to a large extent, are the tubers. What you do get though is an increase to the size of the cluster of tubers year on year and so more growth points and more flowers.

The "Bishop" family does have smallish tubers, whilst many others have huge great beasts, especially the ones with massive flowers

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 12:56 »
rite guys if you grow Dahlias from seed you end up with small tubers at the end of the season so when you lift you tubers and store overwinter then re plant in the spring do you end up with bigger  tubers that produce larger flowers say on the third season

or am I only dreaming this mite happen  :unsure:  :D :D :D :D

Some dahlia seeds that you can buy are bedding dahlias & are annuals, so they won’t store & grow again another year,even if you dig them up & store frost free. Just to add to any confusion! Lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 14:37 »
 i note what your all saying and its been most helpful to put those  comments  in my garden log  by the way the varieties I'm growing are sunny reggae attraction dwarf mix bishops children double decorative dandy and Figaro so we should have a bit of colour both at home and down the allotments ;)

xx
Dahlias.....

Started by jonewer on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:53
by Babstreefern
xx
Dahlias

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 19:32
by sclarke624
xx
dahlias

Started by stan deakin on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2014, 16:22
by stan deakin
xx
Dahlias

Started by Longshanks on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2020, 19:47
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.