What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #450 on: September 15, 2017, 22:32 »
Cycled to the new pot, glowered at the un-earthed rubble (did`nt help...its still there), cycled home, in the rain, with no coat..baht 'at.Picked a  Melon from the Tunnel...my gardening day.
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

rowlandwells

« Reply #451 on: September 17, 2017, 15:15 »
picked the rest of the marrows and courgettes as its getting more like autumn maybe a frost mite be imminent French and runner beans all over with picked the last of the lettuce looks like some cabbage nearly  ready and the pumpkins are getting quite big

snowdrops

« Reply #452 on: September 17, 2017, 20:02 »
Dug the last of the potatoes, sawed down quite a few sunflowers as they were either leaning or fallen or finished
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

DaveF68

« Reply #453 on: September 19, 2017, 14:58 »
Another row of potatoes up!

Paul Plots

« Reply #454 on: September 19, 2017, 15:54 »
Today - plans scuppered yet again - emailed the solicitor instead :(
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #455 on: September 19, 2017, 19:24 »
Dug up spuds, then dug over the area they came out of as I want to plant overwintering onions and garlic there.

Came home and while I was waiting for the spuds to dry off, I did a load of pruning.

I'm absolutely knackered now  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #456 on: September 19, 2017, 22:21 »
Today - plans scuppered yet again - emailed the solicitor instead :(

Oh dear Paul, I hope you get your time sometime soon🙁

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #457 on: September 20, 2017, 12:42 »
Last of the Lady Christl spuds were starting to get attacked by slugs (hardly surprising after sitting in the ground for the best part of 3 months), so I dug them out this morning, (TWICE - THERE WILL BE NO VOLUNTEER SPUDS ON THAT PATCH NEXT YEAR!)   :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

chillimummy

« Reply #458 on: September 21, 2017, 19:36 »
Pulled up rest of turnips and spinach that had gone to seed and started weeding and digging over patch.
Parts of plot that have been dug over already have stayed weed free  :D
Put a few strawberry runners in pots for next year but need more pots as loads of runners. Crop was quite small this year so will dig it up next year and plant the runners, maybe in a different spot.
Ran out of time to pick lots of raspberries that I could see so back tomorrow and will finish weeding.
Pumpkins starting to grow bigger and also my celeriac which I have never managed to grow at all before.
Carrots too are looking like they are getting to be a decent size and when I have grown them before, they have been tiny so all good late in the season  :) 
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

peter and jean

« Reply #459 on: September 23, 2017, 19:04 »
Another day spent digging and strimming. The more we strim the bigger the plot appears to get. Unearthed loads more rubbish to get rid of. On the plus side I cleared a bed and to my untrained eye the soil looks in pretty good condition. Loads of worms and other creatures. I am tempted to plant something there to spur us on a bit. Any suggestions what could go there? I would say the bed is roughly 10 x 10 foot so it's a fair size. Ta very much.

snowdrops

« Reply #460 on: September 23, 2017, 20:24 »
Another day spent digging and strimming. The more we strim the bigger the plot appears to get. Unearthed loads more rubbish to get rid of. On the plus side I cleared a bed and to my untrained eye the soil looks in pretty good condition. Loads of worms and other creatures. I am tempted to plant something there to spur us on a bit. Any suggestions what could go there? I would say the bed is roughly 10 x 10 foot so it's a fair size. Ta very much.

You plant some overwintering Japanese onions, you might also find some cabbages or lettuces to plant now, garlic from November & sow some broad beans for overwintering

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #461 on: September 23, 2017, 20:34 »
Weeded some of the cabbages.  Cleared dwarf french beans which have finished now and dug that patch over.  Started on some of the fruit cages and got dandelions and buttercups out.  There is some smaller non perennial stuff to weed out, but I ran out of time.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #462 on: September 27, 2017, 22:52 »
Dug up two rows of Sarpo Mira.. (something, rats probably, had helped themselves already..)
Rotavated both ends as my new belt arrived for the Howard 220. Also the weather held up as it's been too wet to do anything (too claggy). Larger end needs lots of muck and love. The soil is pretty heavy and I'm planning on planting my spuds there when the time arrives.. plus other stuff..
Planted some Pak Choi, Red Onion sets that arrived the other day (Autumn planting Comred). Got some winter lettuce as well, but need to clear an area to plant them. Scattered some Hot Mustard where I have wireworm infestations and sprayed some weeds with glyphosate the previous evening. Hopefully that will shunt them back a bit.

Splitting this end up so I can rotate my spuds, and plant beans/peas/etc. Needs manuring, and covering up for winter. At least it's had a good rotavate now.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 22:55 by Rhys »
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #463 on: September 28, 2017, 17:58 »
Hi, haven't been around for ages due to a very busy summer. Anyway all my beds are cleared of the last of the veggies, weeded and manured and all but one are now covered in black plastic. The last one has been delayed because of weather and the need to find more material to hold the plastic down. I also need to research the threads to find out what to do with my rhubarb plant.

peter and jean

« Reply #464 on: October 01, 2017, 17:33 »
Hi everyone. I think we are sowly making progress. Some onions went in last week. We are trying to get the ground elder under control and we tried to finish digging another bed only to be met by thick clay. After some rain the plot is a bit on the "boggy" side so I imagine we are going to have to improve the soil somehow. I appreciate there are no quick fixes but any tips will be thankfully received.
20170930_144418.jpg

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 53 queries.