Cockerell developed a neck problem in accident.

• 7 Replies

Michele956

« on: November 25, 2008, 13:21 »
I have a black silkie cockerell and 4 hens in a chicken arc.  There was a slight accident whereby my dog ran up to the arc and frightened the birds.  A few seconds later i noticed my cockerel lying motionless in the corner of the arc.  I picked him up and put him down in the pen and he could not get up and was moving his neck in an odd manner and rolling about unable to get up.   I warmed him up by the aga and held him for about 10-15 minutes then decided to take him to the Vet.  By the time i got him to the vet he was able to stand and starting pecking me which was a good sign, although still having the neck problem.  He is eating and pecking the ground and I am hoping that it is only a muscular problem that will rectify.

I am fairly certain that the bird did not have the problem prior to the accident and wondered if anyone had had a similar incident and whether the bird got back to normal.

agapanthus

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 13:25 »
It sounds to me like a muscular strain too! He should be fine  :D

Jellyhead

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 16:47 »
I have seen this more than once now at my house and a friends...it seems to be shock and then once they get warm and calm down they get back to normal :roll:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

Michele956

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 14:47 »
Thankyou everyone... cockerel is much better today although he still has a very slight neck symptoms, almost back to normal.   in a few days i think he will be over it.   :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 19:19 »
Glad he is getting better. :lol:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Michele956

Re: Cockerell developed a neck problem in accident.
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 15:51 »
I have a black silkie cockerell and 4 hens in a chicken arc.  There was a slight accident whereby my dog ran up to the arc and frightened the birds.  A few seconds later i noticed my cockerel lying motionless in the corner of the arc.  I picked him up and put him down in the pen and he could not get up and was moving his neck in an odd manner and rolling about unable to get up.   I warmed him up by the aga and held him for about 10-15 minutes then decided to take him to the Vet.  By the time i got him to the vet he was able to stand and starting pecking me which was a good sign, although still having the neck problem.  He is eating and pecking the ground and I am hoping that it is only a muscular problem that will rectify.

I am fairly certain that the bird did not have the problem prior to the accident and wondered if anyone had had a similar incident and whether the bird got back to normal.

Sadly this bird went weird on me again... I thought it was getting better, but it stopped eating, wouldnt walk, wouldnt peck, or respond.  Its eyes were bright, looked normal from the head up, but just sat and wouldnt move.  In the end we had to despatch it, because it was literally starving itself to death, like it was paralysed from the neck down.

The story goes on, today, I have found a hen in a similar incident.  I thought it was sunbathing, but on closer inspection it was almost dead.  I had checked it in the morning and moved the arc over some grass which they were all enjoying... but a few hours later, she appears sick.  Presently i have placed her on some straw inside the hen house..if its shock we will see shortly, but she has her eyes closed which doesnt look good.  There hasnt been any outside stimulus that would have caused this and they have plenty of food and water.  My only conclusion is perhaps the cockerell tried to mount her and she panicked and ran into the wire.  At this rate I wont have any eggs this year.

woodburner

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 00:15 »
Any mention of the word paralysis in connection with chickens makes me think of Marek's. :? Silkies are apparently more vulnerable to it than other breeds, too :(
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2009, 12:06 »
Mareks is a possibility especially with silkies, where it is prevalent. However in this case given the breed and the circumstances after which the condition developed I am more inclined to believe that it is brain injury which is a danger in the crested breeds. Rather than try to explain it. Here is a description with a video from a very good poultry site in Canada. I'm sure Diana does it better than I could.  :blush:

http://dlhunicorn.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=emergencies&action=display&num=1160928615

HTH

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

xx
injured silkie (twisted neck/wry neck)

Started by injured silkie on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 27, 2011, 17:24
by ShoeGirl
xx
My hen has developed an egg sized lump near her vent.

Started by KayZy on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2018, 22:48
by New shoot
xx
Pictures of partially developed chick (not for the squeamish)

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2012, 16:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Our Drake has developed a bald patch on his Chest

Started by si.hyde on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2014, 20:05
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 39 queries.