Chicken disposal

• 10 Replies

upert

• Experienced Member
Chicken disposal
« on: July 01, 2018, 22:42 »
What do you do with your dead chickens?

I used to bury them yet I'm not sure this isn't frowned upon nowadays. I might be out of date buy I read somewhere Defra would prefer only pets were buried or cremated and chickens do not count as pets according to them. They ought to be bagged and binned according to the page I read.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Chicken disposal
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2018, 10:59 »
Your local vet will dispose of any dead animals, but it will cost you a fair bit.

I know people do bury them, but obviously you need to dig a deep hole to prevent foxes digging them back up.   DEFRA are going to say no as they are worried about the spread of disease, nuisance to neighbours and so on.  If you had numerous birds and were regularly having to dispose of bodies, you can see their point.

If it is your own land and you only bury the odd bird, the common sense answer is that no-one will know if you do it properly.   If you are going to bag and bin them, make sure you wrap well as they are going to start to smell very quickly as they have the guts still inside them.  Not pleasant for you or the bin men  :(

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 11:39 »
I buried them deep in a wild area on our site. I feel a little sentimental I guess about Mr Fox ravaging them but also felt it better all round if they're out of the way.

Naturally, their carcasses would be appreciated by scavengers etc but I have to think of others.

Whilst searching for firm rules I was somewhat surprised that Defra hadn't caught up with so many people keeping chickens again.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 12:01 »
I bag and bin mine, couple of carrier bags and the a black bin bag.

They smell far less than dead mice do.  :mad:

grinling

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 19:20 »
I bag and bin. A large drink afterwards always goes well

Lutyens1

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 09:56 »
Since there seemed to be a lot of mixed advice about this matter I contacted Animal Health. This is their reply:
A dead chicken is a category 2 animal by product.  As such it must be disposed of:
1.   Your local vet may agree to take (if you take body there in a double bag), and probably may charge?
2.   Your local knacker man, same procedure.
3.   A handling plant that has an incinerator.
You may not bury the carcase(s).

These measure are very important for disease prevention.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:08 »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

Since there seemed to be a lot of mixed advice about this matter I contacted Animal Health. This is their reply:
A dead chicken is a category 2 animal by product.  As such it must be disposed of:
1.   Your local vet may agree to take (if you take body there in a double bag), and probably may charge?
2.   Your local knacker man, same procedure.
3.   A handling plant that has an incinerator.
You may not bury the carcase(s).

These measure are very important for disease prevention.

Thank you for your input, but as I said earlier in this thread.

I know people do bury them, but obviously you need to dig a deep hole to prevent foxes digging them back up.   DEFRA are going to say no as they are worried about the spread of disease, nuisance to neighbours and so on.  If you had numerous birds and were regularly having to dispose of bodies, you can see their point.

So yes, according to the rules burying is not an option, but common sense alternatives were suggested similar to those people would use for small pets that died or animals killed on the road, or dead vermin.   

« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:12 by New shoot »

grinling

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 22:58 »
Our council did object to a dead pheasant in the recycling bin  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 08:26 »
Our council did object to a dead pheasant in the recycling bin  :lol:

Well it is a push to think how it would be recycled :lol: 

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2020, 20:34 »
I was informed bag and bin was the way to go. I read a Govt website:

You can only dispose of category 2 ABPs by:

incinerating or co-incinerating without processing or with prior processing, when resulting material has to be marked with glyceroltriheptanoate (GTH)
sending them to authorised landfill after processing by pressure sterilisation and marking with GTH
making them into organic fertilisers/ soil improvers, after processing and marking with GTH
composting or anaerobic digestion after processing by pressure sterilisation and marking with GTH (milk, milk products, eggs, egg products, digestive tract content, manure do not need processing, providing no risk of spreading serious transmissible disease)
applying them to land, in the case of manure, digestive tract content, milk, milk products and colostrum, this can be done without processing
using them in composting or anaerobic digestion, if they are materials coming from aquatic animals ensiled
using them as fuel for combustion
using them for manufacture of certain cosmetic products, medical devices and safe industrial or technical uses

I'm not sure what GTH is yet I'm pretty sure I haven't any.

When I buried  them I did bury deep and none were dug up. I can understand a few reasons why they wouldn't want us to bury them as there's a lot of domestic chickens these days.

Rsb

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 07:44 »
If you have a fire bin on you allotment you can incinerate your dead birds.

xx
Disposal

Started by tyrone on The Hen House

43 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 21:48
by MontyTom
xx
Poo disposal

Started by chooksbury on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 01, 2010, 23:09
by SUTTY1
xx
Disposal of hen.....

Started by cathangirl on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 17:53
by Aunt Sally
xx
disposal when the time comes

Started by Catsmuvva on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 10:44
by LittleRedHen

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 51 queries.