Allotment offered, where do I start???

• 9 Replies

Pickles29

Allotment offered, where do I start???
« on: February 09, 2012, 16:43 »
Hi,
    I have never had an allotment & my gardening knowledge is basic however for 2 years I have wanted to produce my own veg but never been brave enough to take the leap.
    This week several allotment spaces have become available in our village so I'm now even closer to leaping,I need some advice on whether to jump or not? They are extremely overgrown & I would be starting from scratch, I've googled allotment care & am more confused than ever as one site says one thing & another site says something completely different!!! Do I strim weed height & then tiller or not?
     Any tips on where to start would be appreciated or shall I just run in the opposite direction & continue to buy my veg from tesco? Thanks x

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Allotment offered, where do I start???
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 16:52 »
Welcome to the forums.

If you put your rough location into your profile, allowances can be made for variations in climate when giving out advice.

This is a good place to start:

http://www.allotment-garden.org/garden_month.php
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 17:54 »
Hi Pickles - welcome.. .YES YES YES you must - you have to jump in and get one.. Then slow down and just do what it takes to get the plot into growing condition.   Forget all the internet advice and stick with us on her. There is loads of help on the "growing help" tab on the top of the page. Take time to read about preparing your allotment and all about growing etc.. Take loads of photos so you can reflect on your hard work and upload some for us to see.

Most of all enjoy it and have fun.. I am. My plot was allocated in October and I'm getting all the big work done before the digging can continue once the wet and frozen ground warms up.. see my progress at my weblink below my profile pic.. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 18:14 »
Welcome to the site  :D

The main website has a list of allotment articles, including how to clear a plot.

Strim and then dig - don't rotavate as you'll just chop all the weeds into little bits ...  :ohmy:

Take lots of photos, keep off the soil when it sticks to your boots, and enjoy a little at a time.  So long as you make steady progress and keep on top of the weeds so they don't affect neighbours, you should be fine  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Pickles29

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 18:21 »
Thanks for all the pointers everyone! I will take the leap & see how I get on, will definitely be back with questions again :@) WISH ME LUCK!!

emotion-2003

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 21:38 »
yes get the allotment and enjoy grow your own veg ;)
it is really fun and healthy   :D
good luck

RobertSongs

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 23:22 »
yep strim then dig i found the quickest way to get growing, prepare a realistic amount each visit and take time to remove the perrenial weeds properly doc`s brambles and couch grass etc..Its hard work at the start...but its so so worth it, not just for the amazing variety of things you can grow, especially the ones you cant buy in Tesco's..but its an all round fantastic hobby for body and mind..when i walk into our allotments and lock the gate behind me, I get a little bit happier with every footstep upto my plot..it really does have that effect and i know im far from alone on that one...good luck with it.. :D
The Quest For Curry Leaf Continues

Katejs

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 18:56 »
Definitely.  We've only had ours since the new year, and have spent so much on it (new shed, polytunnel) that it will be ages before it 'costs in' on what we might save in veg costs.  And we had to get up at 06:30 this morning & go out in the snow to take delivery of the shed.  But it's so much fun - I think I'm actually in love with my plot!!   :blush:

rachelsco

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 20:33 »
just do it, you'll not regret it.  i got mine sept 2010, and it was in a very bad way with waist high weeds.  we strimmed it and then covered it, and dug a managable bit at a time, by march it was nearly half done, i dug in loads of manure and filled it with loads of my favourite potatoes in the spring, and i must say they were the best spuds i ever ate, lol, . i carried on digging and people gave me stuff they had in excess, so in the end it proved very productive due to the kindness of others really.
Dont be daunted, give it a try :)

Kim50

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 16:06 »
I would also agree with what has been suggested so far.  I got mine after 2.5 yrs of waiting and dug like mad in the first yr and grew pots, toms and runner beans with great sucess.  Covered half of the plot with black permable plastic and had a really good 2nd yr with corgettes, onions, garlic, broad beans, sweet corn and squashes added to the mix.  This yr will be slightly different as to what i grow as time constraints will dictate, however, will be down lottie as much as I can

xx
I've been offered an allotment at last BUT....

Started by JaK on Grow Your Own

45 Replies
Last post November 14, 2011, 06:20
by Growster...
xx
offered a full allotment

Started by Christian on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 20, 2007, 20:09
by fluffypebble
xx
Newbie - just been offered allotment

Started by Squeako on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post January 18, 2011, 16:33
by madcat
xx
Overgrown allotment offered, but no water on tap!

Started by Gareth W-D on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 29, 2008, 18:15
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 39 queries.