swollen bantam feet

• 6 Replies

janity u

swollen bantam feet
« on: November 13, 2010, 14:07 »
Hello anyone! i am hoping that someone might be able to give me any suggestions and/or advice about my bantam hen's feet.  She was limping today so we had a look at her feet to find that they seem quite large and swollen and very dry looking.  We have 10 hens all together and none of the others are showing any signs of anything wrong with their feet, including the other bantam.  Poor old delia, she hasn't laid for a while but we had put this down to winter coming.  i would appreciate any suggestions, thank you, janet x

bantam novice

Re: swollen bantam feet
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 16:44 »
I'm sorry to hear about Delia.   :(

It sounds as if it might be bumble foot.  If you type bumble foot into the search box in the top right-hand corner you will find loads of info.

You could try taking her temperature.  You do this by feeling under the wings of one of your other bantam  then under her wing to see if she feels hotter.

Does the foot feel hot?  She could have an injury.

It may also be a good idea to find a local chicken-friendly vet.  Not all of them are.

Is she eating, drinking and poohing OK?

I am relatively inexperienced.  I'm sure someone more experienced will be along add to what I have said.

In the meatime Good Luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 22:00 »
Please please please if you have just an inkling that it may be Bumblefoot, do NOT delay in getting your girlie to the vets. Its not something to be messed with, as I have learnt the hard way.

Good Luck.

Maryx

janity u

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 08:17 »
thank you bantam novice and mary for your replies.

I have looked at the link and then again at delia's feet and they don't seem like the picture and at present there is no scab.  It is hard to compare because delia has feathered feet.  I had browsed through the site yesterday and thought it may be scaly leg and gone to the animal feed shop and picked up some spray treatment for that.  Though i am not sure.  it's like her scales are more raised than in the pic of the bumble foot.

A few weeks ago my husband had trodden on one of delia's feet.  But although she hobbled for a little while by bed time she was fine. there is a possibility of this affecting it, but he had only trodden on one foot.  Her feet did feel slightly warm to the touch this morning. So i was thinking there is an infection there and I have some left over baytril in the cupboard and have enough for about 4 days which i have now started her on and will see me through until i can get in at the vets.  I do have an avian vet locally but he isn't in every day. 

thank you again. janet x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:31 »
feathered legged birds can suffer with mites (all birds can but it isn't so easy to notice them with feathers until they have a severe infestation) so perhaps this could be the problem. Have a good look and also see if her leg scales are raised.
Staffies are softer than you think.

janity u

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 04:23 »
Hello again, well i managed to get her into the vet yesterday (tues) and it turns out it is a severe case of scaly leg. I wish i could put some pics up for anyone else to compare if they have similar problems, as i have found it very useful when looking up chicken problems. But it is something i found impossible to do some time ago. It's not my computer it's me! This information may be helpful to anyone without pics.  I have been told that it is possible for one bird in a flock to be infected and whilst it is contagious it may only be that one bird that gets it. She may actually lose a toe, but this is self healing after.  I only need to go back after 6 weeks if the lotion i got from the animal feed shop isn't working, and the vet will give me another medicine.  So it is a long process.  I had bought NETTEX JUST FOR SCALY LEGS  it is also a preventative so i will use on all the others. Something anyone might want to consider, and something i wish i had known earlier.  But this chicken keeping is forever learning about our lovely little feathered friends.  thanks again for your replies to this post, janet x

bantam novice

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25 »
So glad it's not bumble foot  :).  You seem to be taking great care of your flock and thanks for the useful info.
Keep us posted.  :)

xx
Swollen Feet

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 18:02
by Chuckles
xx
Chicken with swollen feet. Advice needed please.

Started by mtoyne on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2009, 12:52
by raeburg
xx
Chicken with swollen feet. advice needed.

Started by mtoyne on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 15, 2009, 09:42
by Vember
xx
Bantam with swollen eye

Started by chloe on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 07, 2012, 19:36
by YoungChickenLover

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 39 queries.