MOUSE

• 29 Replies

hamstergbert

Re: MOUSE
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 09:47 »
Um.   Badly set or cheaply made traps are indeed not good when they doom a mouse that is mortally wounded rather than snapped outright to a "...lingering death..."   Whereas poison of course mereley dooms every mouse that it reaches to, er, a lingering death!

Probably heartless of me but I am afraid I prefer good quality snap traps, properly set and frequently monitored, as at least I can dispose of the cadaver efficiently instead of setting up poisoned beasties to form nice fragrant virus-reservoir piles in those inaccessible beauty spots....

Oh, OK, I admit it then - in fact I am just too tight to repeatedly buy poison when I can still keep using the shoeboxfull of 'little nippers' inherited from my parents!
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

8doubles

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2012, 11:58 »
Um.   Badly set or cheaply made traps are indeed not good when they doom a mouse that is mortally wounded rather than snapped outright to a "...lingering death..."   Whereas poison of course mereley dooms every mouse that it reaches to, er, a lingering death!

Probably heartless of me but I am afraid I prefer good quality snap traps, properly set and frequently monitored, as at least I can dispose of the cadaver efficiently instead of setting up poisoned beasties to form nice fragrant virus-reservoir piles in those inaccessible beauty spots....

Oh, OK, I admit it then - in fact I am just too tight to repeatedly buy poison when I can still keep using the shoeboxfull of 'little nippers' inherited from my parents!

Got to agree that poison is not a pleasant or fast death but it suits many as out of sight is out of mind !

Like you i will stick with the `Little Nippers' and mainly instant suffering free mousey deaths.

If people had to sit and watch the real time effect on  poisoned rodents from taking the bait until they finally die they would likely do the same .

SG6

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 13:59 »
Agree that peanut butter or chocolate spread works well.
Try the small live traps that are available, find they work well, just let the mouse go some distance away, like some elses garden 3 or 4 doors away. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Mrs Bee

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 19:46 »
Agree that peanut butter or chocolate spread works well.
Try the small live traps that are available, find they work well, just let the mouse go some distance away, like some elses garden 3 or 4 doors away. :ohmy: :ohmy:

Don't the little beggars find their way back again?

dankay123

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2012, 20:50 »
checked them tonight again and still nothing. just opened shed looked and locked it up again. someone in work said they prefer the bait stale so try again tomorrow. the little nipper traps are the best i could find. very light trigger. it only has to breathe near it and its SNAP

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2012, 20:52 »
checked them tonight again and still nothing. just opened shed looked and locked it up again. someone in work said they prefer the bait stale so try again tomorrow. the little nipper traps are the best i could find. very light trigger. it only has to breathe near it and its SNAP

Don't keep looking as they are shy  ;)

and also mainly are active at night anyway if ours have been anyhting to go by
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2012, 20:58 »
one of my neighbours on the lotty throws the dead ones in the field for the red kites to eat
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

8doubles

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2012, 08:34 »

Sometimes even the Nippers need a tweak such as taking the burr off the top of the setting rod with a bit of emery paper.

A few 'free offerings' of the same bait sprinkled near the trap often makes the meeces less cautious. ;)

thedadtony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2012, 10:46 »
I remember using poison when we had mice in the house, it got them in the end but the smell of decomposing mice in the bathroom was not pleasent!!!!

bainsk8

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 17:38 »
Pumpkin Seeds! This mouse has expensive taste, try Almas Caviar and a bottle of Vintage Dom Pérignon.

Failing that get a cat!
If at first you don't succeed, try a different method.

dankay123

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2012, 20:38 »
got the first mouse today. peanut butter. took the trap in the middle of the shed floor and not the traps i had hid against walls etc.he was really fat. shall i leave the traps down to see if there is any more or not?

Mrs Bee

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2012, 20:49 »
Oh yes, leave the traps down. Where there is one mouse there will be more.
Not surprised it was a fat one eating all your pumpkin seeds :lol:

spottymint

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2012, 20:52 »
Yes, leave the traps down.

By the time you see one mouse, he probably has a few sisters/brothers & cousins knocking about.

If a female mouse gets in, it's amazing how quickly they take over.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2012, 16:13 »
Just a comment on the use of poisons. My daughters next door neighbour decided to put poison down when he had a problem with rats and mice under his rabbit hutch. He put the poison bait under his decking. Unfortunately,my daughters cat managed to get to the bait and ate some.I have never seen an animal die in such agony.It was only after 2 days that we realised how ill the cat was and took him to be put to sleep. I will only use live traps and remove the little beggars as far away as possible.

dankay123

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2012, 18:09 »
2 more mice tonight so re baited and see what tomorrow brings

xx
I Saw A Mouse.......

Started by MickyB on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 29, 2013, 15:01
by Trillium
xx
Mouse

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 28, 2012, 14:18
by Trillium
xx
mouse v peas tip

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 09:36
by mumofstig
xx
mouse problem

Started by chelseablue on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 11:06
by Jen

Page created in 0.337 seconds with 39 queries.