White Lady runner bean seed rot.

• 26 Replies

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
Re: White Lady runner bean seed rot.
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 15:52 »
I bought white lady seeds from ebay (premier-seeds-direct), planted them in regular plastic containers, in cheap local compost, and 10 out of 12 from the first batch germinated normally.

Blauhilde did a bit better with 28 out of 30. (same source)

And I also planted a batch of my own scarlet runner seeds, which also gave 16 out of 18.

I actually watered them once after the blauhilde came up, and at that time the other ones weren't showing at all yet. (i all have them in the same tray and I add water to the tray...hence).

I kept them inside.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 18:58 »
I've learnt over the years not to water the pots after the first soak at planting time. Its really hard sometimes when they look so dry but just a whiff of a second watering is the kiss of death.

No, I never water after sowing until the seedlings are up, and only then if it looks quite dry. If the compost is wet as opposed to damp, big seedlings get stem rot and small seedlings get damping off, but it amounts to the same thing really.

fatcat1955

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2012, 19:34 »
Sowed 35 in root trainer's on Sunday, so far i have 32.

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 07:15 »
I bought White Lady runners from Marshalls and had 100% germination.  Planted them out and they are now stunted!   ??? Saw some little black bugs on the plants so sprayed with Karanja which is a Spanish biological spray for bugs.  Fingers crossed that they recover and start climbing.  But to be on the safe side I have direct planted some more seeds at the base of the original ones.
Now what shall I do today?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 14:41 »
Actually, I planted my White Ladys out today, and I seem to have more than 100% germination :)

Maybe this happens every time and I've just never noticed it before, but on a fair number of the seedlings I've actually got 2 or 3 shoots coming out of a single seed rather than just one. Anyone else seen this?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 14:53 »
yes, a few of my St Georges did that ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 15:05 »
Yes, a couple of my White Lady's have done that.

I also discovered yesterday that one of the two chitted seeds which appeared to have failed was starting to grow in its completely dried-out paper pot - its brothers and sisters are up to 18" high now so it's got some catching up to do but I'll do my best for what is obviously a bean with great survival instincts (pity you can't cross them with cucumbers!)    ::)  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 15:17 »
I was already being a bit greedy with my White Ladys, planting 2 per cane, so if I get 2 or 3 plants per seed they're going to be a wee bit overcrowded :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 15:36 »
Several years ago I "accidentally" overwintered my runner beans after cutting them down by covering them over with a load of garden weeds and other stuff which I didn't have compost bin room for at the time.

Each root produced about half a dozen new shoots in spring!  :ohmy:  :ohmy:

JohnB47

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2012, 15:46 »
My white lady attempts have been useless so far. Reading the comments suggests that cold weather was initially the problem and then, with my second batch, overwatering. So far i have one plant just showing - but i'll probably kill that!  ???

Ok, one more try - suggestions for best method in this currently hot weather please?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 16:40 »
Even in this heat, I'd still prefer to start them off in pots so I can more closely control the temperature and moisture level (plus pests like slugs, etc.). I always sow them 2 per 3" pot, quick spritz with a water sprayer, no more than that, put a plastic bag over the top secured with a rubber band and stick them on the worktop next to the boiler where they're nice and warm. I take the plastic bags off as soon as I see a shoot but keep them protected until the shoots are a couple of inches high, and then I start to harden them off. Once I start to harden them off, I'll start to water them, but not before then.

That's what I do every time and it always seems to work for me.

JohnB47

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 18:10 »
Thanks. I think i'll hold back on the water and use your method.

xx
Help me choose a white runner bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2022, 13:29
by JayG
question
Runner bean seed directly in ground and plant root/seed attacks

Started by harwood7pccc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2010, 17:26
by diggerjoe
xx
runner bean seed.

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 06:58
by Brassica Blaz
xx
Saving runner bean seed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 17, 2012, 00:47
by Paul Plots

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 40 queries.