Dismantling a greenhouse

• 21 Replies

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
Dismantling a greenhouse
« on: January 08, 2010, 12:20 »
Hi all, I am new to this so forgive me if I have posted in wrong place.
I have been given a greenhouse by a kind freecycler and I have to go to dismantle it this weekend, my question is how do I get the glass out as I presume this comes out first...
Will this be an easy job?
I am dreading it in this weather but needs must.
TIA
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Ice

• muck spreader
Re: Dismantling a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2010, 12:22 »
If it's like mine the glass will be held in by metal clips.  I would take some pointed nose pliers and thick gloves.
Cheese makes everything better.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2010, 12:24 »
the glass is held in place probably by clips which are a sod to get off, specially in this cold weather.  Wear some gloves and take some pliers as they can be really sharp. The glass is likely to break too so beware and wear good boots and protect your shins.  It could take some while so don't start the job late in the day  :)  take plenty of newspaper to wrap up the pieces of glass

I think it's a dangerous job as the glass seems to break at the slightest provocation

I have two greenhouses to restore and repair but I'm waiting til spring  :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39 »
Thanks to you both, not looking forward to this at all  :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53 »
When transporting glass, stack the panes vertically with one sheet of newspaper in between them. Do not lay them horizontally, one slight bend & they will break.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 12:59 »
the glass is held in place probably by clips which are a * to get off, specially in this cold weather.  Wear some gloves and take some pliers as they can be really sharp. The glass is likely to break too so beware and wear good boots and protect your shins.  It could take some while so don't start the job late in the day  :)  take plenty of newspaper to wrap up the pieces of glass

I think it's a dangerous job as the glass seems to break at the slightest provocation

I have two greenhouses to restore and repair but I'm waiting til spring  :)

I would not attempt to dismantle a frosty greenhouse you will get more broken glass than good and if the ground is slippery carrying glass could be lethal.
When you do have a go take a felt tip pen to number the parts and a few photos of the tricky bits will help.

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 13:58 »
I would not attempt to dismantle a frosty greenhouse you will get more broken glass than good and if the ground is slippery carrying glass could be lethal.
When you do have a go take a felt tip pen to number the parts and a few photos of the tricky bits will help.
[/quote]

I totaly agree, when frost gets into glass and metal it alters the structure and makes it brittle I have seen steel bolt sheared and glass almost explode when working in sub zero temperatures.
If you have to move it,is there any chance that you can place a heater in there over night. ? otherwise the glass will be frozen to the sealing strips
smud6ie

DavidT

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 20:35 »
I agree, apart from the glass being brittle, it is also likely to be frozen in place. Ask if you can leave it until the weather improves.

wighty

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 20:54 »
We cut glass to size in the shops but at the moment are refusing to do so.  Our glass cuting area is not heated and the amount of 'stock'we would loose due to the coldness and brittleness (have I invented a new word?) would be outstanding.  Most people accept this have bought a piece of hardboard to cover gap without any complaints.

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 23:06 »
I had to dismantle an 8' x 8' greenhouse last Feb. I only lost two panes of glass, but sheared about 50% of the aluminium bolts holding it all together. It had been in situ for about 25years so I wasn't entirely surprised TBH.  Fairly easy to replace though.

Wear thick gloves, and goggles just in case the glass does shatter, and try and leave it until the weather is a bit better if you can. Not only will it all be stuck together with ice, the rubber strips will be brittle in the cold too.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

gowing238

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2010, 00:35 »
when metal and glass get cold, they both expand, so working in these extreme temps you may not be able to part them without damage. be extremely careful
Start at the beginning, and finish at the end!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2010, 07:10 »
when metal and glass get cold, they both expand,

Ye canna change the laws of Physics Cap'n.

They always used to contract when I was at school.

Bluedave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:36 »
yep, things contract in the cold and you'd be surprised how much glass changes in size due to the weather. When I was at uni they reglazed one of the buildings in the hottest summer on record (was in 2003) a couple of months later the temp dropped and every single pane cracked as they contracted out of the frame - they reckon the panes had expanded by over 15mm in the 35 oC heat! Made me laugh as it was a new building for the built environment and engineering schools - you would have thought they'd have calculated that (or given it to us students to do as a project!). This was a badly designed curtain wall by the way - your double glazing at home has plenty of room for expansion/contraction around the seals of the outside pane.

I wouldn't attempt to dismantle now - it's far too cold - can they not wait till it warms up a bit (at least til it's over freezing)? As others have said you are likely to shear the bolts and break the glass. If they can't wait and you have to do it then gloves, goggles, boots and a thick jacket to protect yourself from the glass (although in this weather I imagine you will have a thick jacket anyway!!). It's gonna take a while as well - I'd start as early as you can - can you get anyone to help you?

savbo

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 12:45 »
IF you rweaaly have to do it, my tip is to take a junior hacksaw if it's an old greenhouse - to saw through corroded steel bolts or if absolutely necessary through a little bit of frame too...

also - if aluminium bolts won't undo - just tighten them til they shear off, theyre cheap anyway

M

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 13:55 »
IF you rweaaly have to do it, my tip is to take a junior hacksaw if it's an old greenhouse - to saw through corroded steel bolts or if absolutely necessary through a little bit of frame too...

also - if aluminium bolts won't undo - just tighten them til they shear off, theyre cheap anyway

M

Yes and no, expect them to shear off and don`t waste time trying to undo them but as for cheap please tell me where, i`ve always paid a lot for alu nuts and bolts.

question
Advice needed on dismantling a greenhouse

Started by Lee G on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post March 24, 2009, 22:26
by Lee G
question
Dismantling a chicken run

Started by compostqueen on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post June 27, 2013, 10:21
by compostqueen
xx
dismantling old aluminium greenhouses -- nuts all seized up -- any suggestions

Started by RichardA on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 29, 2018, 15:36
by Lardman
xx
Greenhouse help please

Started by nickiit2003 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 20:38
by nickiit2003

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 38 queries.