what are the chances of the dreaded blight

• 6 Replies

philskin

« on: May 28, 2008, 08:41 »
Hello last yr i was given the website off a blight watch sceme but its only for farmers. My question is when should i spray my tatties, with all this rain about just thought it could come again or does it need a lot off sun ie heat to activate it or whatever. By the way eat some off our 1st earlies on sunday really nice these were the ones that we grew in pots. The main ones in the garden have been earthed up twice and are about 2 ft high ,so getting a little worried about the dreaded blight. I presume that you cant spray them when the foilage is wet so when is the summer coming not to late we hope anyway thats enough off my ranting  thanks for looking phil/anne :?:  :lol:
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 09:13 »
Blight Watch

You don't have to be a farmer to register, (waiting for mine to go through), & you can pick 10 postcodes to receive blight alerts for.

There is a link from there to 'Smith Periods' which tells you about the conditions which will encourage blight.

I also posted this link earlier on another thread, which shows you where the current outbreaks are.

Blight Incidents

Hope that is of use, Phil.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 10:31 »
Smith Period as per the above sites:

At least two consecutive days where min temperature is 10ºC or above and on each day at least 11 hours when the relative humidity is greater than 90%.

Oh dear, out forecast is above 10ºC for the next 5 days. Relative humidity currently running at 95%.

Now where did I put that Diathane?

philskin

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 14:34 »
thank you both i must off misread when i went on the site sorry about that , but a big thank you anyway

gobs

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 19:53 »
Quote from: "philskin"
thank you both

:shock:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

philskin

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 08:25 »
Quote from: "gobs"
Quote from: "philskin"
thank you both

:shock:  :lol:
                                                                                                                      sorry DD im being pestered by the kids as soon has i sit down by this blasted machine the kids suddenly decide they want a go on it, even though its been unused for 4 hours lol

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2008, 08:43 »
Don't worry Phil, noticed the 'both' comment, but let it pass! Thought I'd got a split personality - thanks gobs!

xx
Dreaded blight?

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 23, 2011, 19:35
by Totty
xx
Just got the dreaded 'Full Smith Period Blight Watch email......................

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:22
by Mitsy
xx
Sowing parsnips now increases chances of canker?

Started by Yana on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 17, 2014, 16:44
by Sparkyrog
xx
Have I got the dreaded lurgy

Started by Mr Mole on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:52
by PennyS

Page created in 0.42 seconds with 38 queries.