Vegetables

• 2 Replies

thechicken

Vegetables
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:03 »
Is it trial and error to find out what the girls will eat. Mine seem extremely fussy! I have had them a week and they still have a nother week kept in till they can have the run of the garden and then I dont think I will worry as much!

Started feeding them layer pellets which they refused to eat and after advice from yoursleves managed to get them to eat it mashed. 1st day a success, 2nd day slightly firmer mix, left it all and subsequent days very picky - normally most left!! Even corn and dehulled sunflower seeds a bit of an effort for them.

So I tried them on vegetables/fruit - so far grapes, carrot peelings, broccoli all left - they do love me cutting them up grass!!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Is it just a case of persevering till I find the right combination? 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Vegetables
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04 »
the fruit and veg count as treats really so should only make up 10% of their feed. Persevere with their proper feed whether that is pellets or mash (which can be fed wet or dry). I have some hens that prefer mash dry and others prefer layers so I feed both.
Have a word with whoever sold you the hens to find out what they were fed on before you got them  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

grinling

Re: Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 18:03 »
be careful of cut grass as they can get an impacted crop. Mine like pellets, BIL likes mash. They get a handful of cornmix in the evening and garden all day, though that will stop with school hols.

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.