Small Tractors - what make?

• 53 Replies

ACatCalledElvis

Re: Small Tractors - what make?
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 18:37 »
If I get my tractor though - what is the best way of securing it against theft? We recently moved here and the neighbours have been warning us about equipment theft
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 18:51 »
I was listening to something on the radio in the last week or so.  A policeman from (if I recall correctly) the rural crime task force said that one reason farm machinery is being targeted so often, is that there is a universal key - so not a different key for each item. 

Might be worth googling this rural crime policing group, and asking the NFU for any advice they have too.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 18:54 »
they did an item about this on countryfile at the w/e...........most still be for viewing on net.
I think they were marking them with the tractor equivalent of smartwater.

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 19:05 »
yes - thinking of contacting the NFU tomorrow - I think they do a marker system of some sorts - I was thinking of what could I do of a physical nature to stop my tractor (when I get it) wandering?

Are there wheel clamps? or a way of immobolising it?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 19:23 »
you could fit a tracker device, many lorries and items of plant have these fitted now.
Staffies are softer than you think.

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 19:25 »
Any ideas where/what I would find out about these?

joyfull

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 19:28 »

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 19:32 »
cheers - thank you

joyfull

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 19:52 »
having a tracker allows you to check on your computer where your lorry/roller/tractor etc is  :)

tedsdad

« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 06:37 »
If I get my tractor though - what is the best way of securing it against theft? We recently moved here and the neighbours have been warning us about equipment theft

Farm security is something to be looked at as a whole .Obviously insure the expensive stuff,cos if someone's determined,you're going to lose it.It's strange,but some people get a reputation for being a bit slapdash,whereas others are known for the opposite.As a rule theives wont cruise round the countryside with a lowloader,they have a good idea of a likely target,and they're going to get that from local word of mouth.Personally,you won't get to see our place until you get past  1) The geese       2) The dogs        3)  The wife.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 19:43 by Yorkie »

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 12:33 »
will chickens, the cats and then the wife do?

:nowink:

rowlandwells

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 17:48 »
i started collecting vintage tractors about 20years ago both my wife and my mother gave me the money to buy our first tractor it was a grey Ferguson T20 the it needed an engine rebuild but lucky for me a friend of ours is a tractor Gerrie he rebuilt the engine and its still going strong  today [i registered it in my wife's name] creep creep ;)

we then had a bit of a windfall so i bought another 3 T20's and a David brown 950  our last acquisition was a Ferguson 35f with the gold engine i then ran out of spare cash  the T20 and 35f are used regularly on the lottie mainly in the summer [no cabs] the David Brown is used for ploughing only [no cab]i wouldn't be without my fergie's they save me a lot of work on the lottie i have a number of implements all old stock nothing modern :happy: 

i think there a copy of the 35 made by TAF tractors don't know what price they are probably need to re-mortgage the house to buy one still have many hours of work to restore the rest of the tractors to there original glory hopefully when i retire from work :D

Junie

« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 19:19 »
We took delivery of our compact tractor last week and had the technical bod over for the morning to check it over and help us with it as it is our first!!
Lookig forward to using it!
BTW it is a Mahindra 254 and we have a front loader, rear link box and a topper.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2010, 00:11 »
rowlandwells - have you not thought about stamp collecting? Takes up less room :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Trillium

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 03:02 »
..and stamps are easier to hide than a tractor   :lol:

I read the tractor theft part with interest as we rarely get tractor thefts around here. If you're talking 4 wheelers - lock yours up tight because they're always the first to go, followed closely by snowmobiles. Next on the list is cattle. Yep, cattle rustling is alive and kicking, unfortunately. My mother almost had her black angus herd stolen many years ago but she heard the truck sneaking up the driveway late at night, woke my dad, who ran out with rifle blasting. they couldn't see a thing but heard the truck roaring out of the driveway. The thieves had even black-taped all the lights.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 36 queries.