what's growing in that raised bed

• 6 Replies

rowlandwells

what's growing in that raised bed
« on: November 30, 2017, 17:50 »
 went down the allotments yesterday with my O/H she said what's growing in that raised bed I said some Brussel sprouts no not that one that one it looked like  large swedes  but swede it wasn't they were mangels

I was sked what made you grow those >:( can you eat them no "there for wine making or feeding livestock which we don't have O/H I cant understand why they grew better than OUR  swedes as there  both root crops :unsure:

I just grew them to see if they would grow and they did farmers used to lift them and slice them up for stock I think one would be very lucky to find a mangel chopper these days as most of them where scraped although I did see one at Malvern show working on an vintage stand  ;)

don't know what to do with our mangels as we don't make wine   :D

Christine

Re: what's growing in that raised bed
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 18:00 »
Sell them to wine makers. Compost heap if all else fails man. You shouldn't have taken the O/H down the plot.  :lol:

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 18:55 »
can't help taking my O/H down the allotment she takes me  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: what's growing in that razed bed
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 08:39 »
Do you have a local farm shop or market?  It might be worth offering your crop to them, as livestock are supposed to adore mangels and they are good for them as well.

You might get a pack of sausages or something else nice for your trouble  ;)

rowlandwells

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 17:37 »
 never thought of that new shoot I did offer them to my farmer friends but they didn't seem to interested may be a bit of work involved "A"

there's one thing I've learned the ground grows good mangel  so probably grow more next year there's only a couple of seed suppliers as I know sell mangel seed Kings  and tuckers are the only ones I know of and I think you rite they are supposed to be a good feed I can remember a lot of mangel being grew for cattle and horses being shredded for cattle feed

but there's a lot of manual work involved in mangel feed better for the farmers to pick a bale of hay or tip the feed involving tractors and machinery how times have changed  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 18:39 »
never thought of that new shoot I did offer them to my farmer friends but they didn't seem to interested may be a bit of work involved "A"

there's one thing I've learned the ground grows good mangel  so probably grow more next year there's only a couple of seed suppliers as I know sell mangel seed Kings  and tuckers are the only ones I know of and I think you rite they are supposed to be a good feed I can remember a lot of mangel being grew for cattle and horses being shredded for cattle feed

but there's a lot of manual work involved in mangel feed better for the farmers to pick a bale of hay or tip the feed involving tractors and machinery how times have changed  :(

Why would you grow more if you have no use for them? 😕 puzzled
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 19:05 »
good question well I mite go along with that suggestion to offer them to a farmers market you never know there mite be someone out there looking for some good mangel feed for there horses or livestock  :D

xx
Growing in raised beds

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 11:29
by sandygreen
xx
Growing in raised beds

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2013, 09:54
by compostqueen
xx
New Field- New to Veg Growing - Raised Bed Help Please

Started by VelveteenAshes on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2021, 16:13
by VelveteenAshes
xx
raised bed growing spacings!!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 08:54
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.314 seconds with 33 queries.