White fly on cabbages

• 7 Replies

Hitwoman

White fly on cabbages
« on: October 15, 2017, 15:33 »
Hi I had a big problem with cabbage white butterflies previously, so now cover my cabbages in a micro mesh tunnel using blue water pipe.  This has worked well this year - no caterpillar damage at all, but each tunnel is full of white fly which now appears to be damaging the red curly kale. Does anyone have any good organic suggestions,Nas I needt I keep the mesh on the cabbage, but I am conscious that I am trapping them in to breed further.

Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: White fly on cabbages
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 16:49 »
I had the same thing happen this year, under debris netting - and wondered whether I should change to the more open mesh of butterfly netting, to allow the insects in that eat whitely.

Hitwoman

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 21:17 »
Ok thank you.

Does there seem to have been more insects around generally this year?  I had an infestation if greenfly in the greenhouse on peppers and aubergines earlier in the year, just wondered if it was just a bad year?

Thanks.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 22:23 »
I might be on my own here but I never use any micro mesh for my brassicas - just strawberry netting.

I have the same difficulty with whitefly but my solution is to deal with them when I get to the kitchen: I fill the sink with  bubbly washing up liquid and warm water, as if I was going to wash the dishes, but I wash the kale instead.  The soap bubbles immediately stop the bugs from flying and I rub each leaf all over to dislodge any that haven't come off and anything else that might be on there, rinse each stem under lukewarm water and let them drip on the dish drainer before chopping and using them.  Works every time for me, just get them into the soapy water as soon as you get in to stop the little darlings from flying around your kitchen!

Mr Dog

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2017, 14:08 »
I use butterfly netting and many of my neighbours leave their brassicas uncovered, but we all get plenty of whitefly!

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 18:30 »
I have read that spraying them with a solution of water and garlic deters them, never tried it though.

jaydig

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2017, 19:50 »
I have read that spraying them with a solution of water and garlic deters them, never tried it though.

Tried it - it doesn't work, unfortunately.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2017, 09:02 »
a fellow gardener told me to mix a solution of washing up liquid and cooking oil I must say I thought that was a bit risky but I tried a weak mix and found it did work had no aphids or white fly

but I must admit I have gone for environmental extra fine mesh  ;)

xx
White fly on kales and cabbages

Started by Hitwoman on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 15, 2018, 09:49
by upert
xx
White patches on cabbages-is it Cabbage whitefly?

Started by wendycas on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 21, 2012, 22:06
by DD.
xx
Spring cabbages & white butterflys, oh and a potatoe question!

Started by Lulu on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 29, 2009, 10:28
by Lulu
xx
Cauliflowers & Cabbages leaves turning white and whithering in raised bed

Started by yandoo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2009, 13:25
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.309 seconds with 37 queries.