How is your plot coping with this summers weather?

• 16 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
How is your plot coping with this summers weather?
« on: August 20, 2017, 09:03 »
I have squashes and beans making huge leaf growth with all this rain.   Both are setting crops but the fenced area where they are growing is starting to look like a jungle.  The main crop spuds, cabbage and leeks are loving it.  Even my swede look good this year  8)

The cukes are not enjoying it so much and tomatoes seem to be taking ages to ripen - even inside the greenhouse.

madcat

Re: How is your plot coping with this summers weather?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05 »
Marrows are doing great, squashes not so much.  A bit chilly to flower and set successfully.  The borlottis are going yellow already, as are the french beans.  Still life in the runners.  Mange touts a fail, went cold at the wrong time for them.  Brassicas and leeks and parsnips romping away ... except for the turnips which were a mega fail.  Yellow globe cucs doing great, long green ones less so.

And I am really jealous that you have sweetcorn already!  Wow.  Mine are huge and have the possibility to set 3 cobs  a plant, but are still only flowering.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

AnneB

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 10:40 »
Lots of crops are way behind on my plot this year.   I had to re-sow and re-plant quite a lot of things due to wind damage and slugs earlier in the year.

Tomatoes in the polytunnel haven't done so well, it was far too hot for them earlier in June, despite having no door and ventilation at the back.  They mostly got blossom end rot which I never normally get. Outside tomatoes are loaded with fruit, but none ripe yet.  Peppers aren't doing too bad though.  Cucumber yield low.

Potatoes have been excellent and so have the brassicas.  Parsnips and carrots now looking fab on second attempt.  Onions have come on of late and leeks OK.

All types of beans, courgettes and squash are behind.  Beetroot very poor for reasons unknown.

Peas did OK but finished quite quickly.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2017, 12:37 »
Early planted cabbages - red & green - are doing ok, I've been using these as the green ones tend to split it left too long. Calabrese looks to be bolting, though the Romanesco seems to be coping better.
Alderman tall peas didn't get tall  ::) so yields were smaller, same with snap peas and mangetout; waist high varieties were okish.
Early potatoes Pentland Javelin were good and clean, as were the slightly later Spunta, some of which were huge.
French beans, not a huge yield but ok, now yellowing - runners beans a disaster, they're just not setting and are now turning yellow as well :(. Luckily I have a generous neighbour who has too many (his are French/runner cross so are setting better).
Squash plants are huge  :ohmy: too many leaves to get a good look at what is happening underneath, but I can see a few, at least  :) First sweetcorn picked yesterday (YUM) but although the Minipop is taller than me there are no cobs to pick, which is strange.
Leeks and swede are making progress since the showery weather started  :) As are the weeds!
Winter cabbage and kale look a bit on the small side, so I may sow some more kale at home in the garden. I'd hate to be without it in the cold months

In the greenhouse the tomatoes grew and flowered early, then took a while to ripen, they are begining to look over, with leaves yellowing There has been a run of nights with 10C or below, only 8C last night, and they don't like it. Though the cukes are setting better with the slightly lower daytime temps though.
So far, the red peppers have done really well this year, loving the heat - but I don't think the ones setting now will come to anything unless we get a late warm spell.

All in all some things coped better than others - if only we knew in advance what the weather was going to be, we could plant accordingly. As it stands growing a little of everything seems to be the best bet, so at least we get something that succeeds!
British weather pfft  ::)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 12:38 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2017, 13:39 »
Sweetcorn mostly appear to have two cobs per plant, but it was often wet and/or windy during the short period when the tassels were shedding and the ladies had finished powdering their noses, so I shall have to wait and see how well filled they are (probably another week before the first one is ready.)

Outdoor and indoor cucumbers have produced an embarrassment of fruits - Marketmore usually sulk in cooler, wet weather and they look a bit miserable now, but I've already had more off them than for many years.

Red Alert tomatoes in the open cold frame never really recovered from the hot June weather (leaves wilted, probably partly due to the roots still establishing themselves.) They're struggling on gamely, but not the 'banker' crop I usually get from them.

Toms in GH OK although a bit slow to ripen - the Roma plum toms I've mentioned elsewhere are still lush, flowering, but still only about half a dozen unripe tomatoes between the two of them...

Runner beans (White Lady) are having a good year so far - didn't quite sow enough in paper pots so sowed some direct after planting them out - didn't expect them to survive the slugs but they did, so it should prolong the production period as long as it doesn't get too cold and windy for them.

Courgettes - Green Bush and Black Beauty - like the cukes, but beyond embarrassing (my new neighbours are veggies so have been happy to take excesses off me sor far, but there surely have to be limits! :ohmy:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 13:52 »
Courgettes and rolet squash v poor due to a combination of coolness, mosaic virus and now mildew, whereas the marrow has been great! Toms v slow to ripen, cucs just getting into their stride and lots of flowers on the aubergines but no fruit (despite standing next to the entrance to a bumble bee hive). Cabbages and calabrese have done well, but only small caulis. Potato yield seems slightly down, but little slug damage. Chillies and peppers in pots in the garden greenhouse have been fantastic, the ones in the ground in the allotment greenhouse less so. Runner beans have been producing as normal but only one pod off the French beans so far.

victoria park

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2017, 13:59 »
The general opinion up on the site is it's been a great growing year. The last 6 weeks downpours have been advantageous to most crops after the earlier sunshine.
I personally have had record breaking crops of carrots, potatoes, peas, beans of all kinds, caulis, beetroot, tomatoes, cucumbers, you name it, with parsnips, leeks and brussels looking odds on to follow suit. In fact the parsnips are giants.
Only onions, squash and slugged heart cabbages have been a disappointment. Some of the success might be down to the second plot I've taken over that has been mainly unused for several years and has also benefited from a year's planned heavy composting.
Huge early blackberries, but the Autumn raspberries, while looking promising, are well behind.

Christine

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2017, 16:38 »
Good year for blueberries, raspberries, plums and cooking apples. Strawberries are on a first year so quiet as to be expected.

Courgettes and pattypan have grown enormous leaves but the cropping has been poor (wet, cold, wet, hot, dry, very windy) and the pumpkins are only a little better.

Spuds look to be good. Brassicas (calabrese, kale, broccoli, sprouts) are a disaster area as planted on the newer allotment which turns out to have club root on the main bed. Yet the swedes on a side bed and summer turnips seem OK as do the radishes on same plot. Cauliflowers on the old plot were a roaring success. Beetroot have turned out better than expected. Onions were hit by an early hot spell and mostly went to seed - the local area has been badly affected not just me.

Plenty of lettuce. Millions of dwarf French beans. Broad beans satisfactory. Peas turned out better than expected but not as good as last year. The dwarf borlotti look to be going over early. Runner beans went in late but look as if there will be enough to slightly better than that. I've even managed tubs of Paris Market carrots - am not a good carrot grower Had a cucumber failure but the tomatoes are now ripening great guns.

Freezer is full; leeks may only be large spring onions at this rate but we shall see as they went in late.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2017, 20:21 »
Some good spuds for a change! Annabelle poor, but PJs pretty good!

Runners going mad now, and 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' beans are just turning, as we weren't sure how to take them...

Toms are disappointing really. Some doing well, others struggling, but as we grew eighty plants everywhere, we're not that bothered! Cucumbers eventually found their feet and have flourished at long last, much to the annoyance of neighbours etc.

Just found three 18" lurkers on the courgette plants today, so they're binned, and we chuck out every 'hard' runner bean as well, as there are too many, even to give the nice ones away to chums!

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2017, 20:24 »
Marrows are doing great, squashes not so much.  A bit chilly to flower and set successfully.  The borlottis are going yellow already, as are the french beans.  Still life in the runners.  Mange touts a fail, went cold at the wrong time for them.  Brassicas and leeks and parsnips romping away ... except for the turnips which were a mega fail.  Yellow globe cucs doing great, long green ones less so.

And I am really jealous that you have sweetcorn already!  Wow.  Mine are huge and have the possibility to set 3 cobs  a plant, but are still only flowering.

Madcat, just seen this - how on earth did you get such a huge result?

Our sweet corn was just OK, a dozen or so good cobs (which for old f***s is quite enough) but you seem to have cornered the market!

Agree about leeks though, as I'll fight DD any time as he is the Pea God, and he always wins, but my leeks are the best this side of the Applachians...

(Mind you a few pints of his local brew might mellow the pair of us after a time)!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 20:28 by Growster... »

grinling

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 20:41 »
taken out 1 cuke from the polytunnel, still have 2 but cukes everywhere. Loads of toms, fed up with skin peeling so they are going to the neighbours. leaving courgettes to fully ripen for seeds. Brassicas are feeding the chooks and beans blew over so leaving them for seed.
Thinking ahead for next year now.

Mum2mj

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2017, 08:09 »
Well the weeds are doing amazingly well, blackberries
, Raspberries & blueberries best year yet. No fruit on the pumpkins yet - will it be too late for halloween now?
To be fair I was a little late with most things so courgettes are only just really getting going.  Garlic + onions good this year. Potatoes okay.  Mange tout + sugar snap poor, dwarf beans beans poor, runners tba!  Chillies amazing but they were overwintered and on my windowsill 😀

Enfield Glen

• Experienced Member
  • Borough champion 12 times
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 08:52 »
Squashes & courgettes think its autumn and have started to die back, still have a decent crop but a bit smaller than usual.

Tomatoes have been seriously hit with blight, even the yellow ones which are usually a bit hardier.

Sweet corn been excellent as have the beans (French and Runners) and potatoes.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 10:02 »
Better than it might have been!

Potatoes - good crop despite having to dig mains early to avoid further rat damage
Brassicas- excellent. Best Summer cabbages ever, calabrese heading up, PSB, spouts and red cabbages growing well, cauliflowers "folding in" now. growing under enviromesh helping
Beans: Runners a little late but prolific. French beans average (not as good as last year). No drying beans as still have loads from last year. Broad beans very good, and growing two varieties gave a succession too
Peas:Really good. Grew tall varieties (Champion of England was the overall winner), had to put guy ropes on the frame because of stormy winds. Early mangetout good, but main crop leaves went mildewy..lack of water
Carrots: Under mesh. Excellent crops from successive sowings. Mice eating the tops of roots an issue but trapped lots and problem reduced
Parsnips: Shocking. Usually have no problem with germination, but three packets of seed over two months and I have 21 plants only. Growing slower too
Beetroot: Fantastic roots from Boltardy, Chioggia and Burpee's Golden, all ruined through rodent attention. Early sowings under cloches worked well. Late sowing germinated quickly and growing well
Turnips: Early sowing under cloche excellent. Late sowing to follow early carrots under mesh, beginning to develop roots
Swede: Bought in small plants in April. Watered them regularly and swelling to look like swedes now (!!)
Radishes: Summer varieties cropped well up until the hot weather, end of May/June, including early Cherry Belle under cloches. Winter mooli sown to follow early carrots under mesh in mid July.. kept off fleabeetles.. and now beginning to develop thicker roots
Onions: Autumn sets mainly bolted; Summer sets badly affected by allium leaf miner which put them back but medium sized useable bulbs. Seed sown went in a bit late, so medium sized bulbs, grown under cover so clean,. Spring onions grown early under cloches were very good. Later ones grew slowly, probably due to lack of water
Shallots: Much smaller than usual.. should have watered them more
Garlic & Elephant Garlic: outstanding crops from Autumn planting
Leeks: Planted out to follow First E potatoes. Good sized plants growing quickly. Under mesh to avoid leek moth damage this year
Courgettes: Poor crop as overshadowed by sunflowers and cosmos, but single plant on other side doing well
Squashes: Reasonable set, sufficient squashes for our needs. New one .. North Georgia Candy Roaster... has massive squashes on it
Cucumber: Divas in polytunnel non-stop for weeks; Chinese Slangan outside, and Crystal Lemon heavy crops too
Tomatoes: Outdoors had heavy crops, hit by blight.. CC still standing so far. Polytunnel crop went in very late but ripening well. Blight has affected them too so taken off all leaves
Peppers Chillies: Best year ever as under cover
Aubergines: Dreadful. Not fruit set as too hot earlier. A few developing now
Lettuce: had this available every week since January, so a great success
Spinach: overwintered plants under cover were amazing. Late sowing germinated quickly and ready to thin now
Pak Choi: very successful grown in deep tray in shade; well watered
Sweetcorn : gave up growing this four years ago as rats ate the crop before we could. This year grown a few plants in the polytunnel and each set two massive cobs, which were amazingly sweet and delicious. Way Hay!!
Soft Fruit: got the nets on the fruit cage early so didn't lose any to birds: redcurrants, black currants, gooseberries and josta berries excellent crops. Blueberries good. Uncovered, the tayberries were reduced by black birds, logan berries good, blackberries still picking massive amounts
Top fruit: Cherry "sleeves" gave us the chance to eat our own fruit for once, apple and pear trees and fruiting well ... thinned fruit heavily early on so good size too. Plum tree actually has some fruit this year (7 years old) damson had a few (4 years old) and two greengages ( 3 years old) Figs hit hard by late frost so just 12 enormous figs this year
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

madcat

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 10:03 »

Madcat, just seen this - how on earth did you get such a huge result?

Our sweet corn was just OK, a dozen or so good cobs (which for old f***s is quite enough) but you seem to have cornered the market!

I can only put it down to home made compost and a good feed every 2 weeks (wilco's multipurpose).  They were late in but are over 6'6" tall.  I'm worried tho' that unless we get an indian summer, they wont actually deliver on their promise because they haven't set anything properly yet.  A lovely September is in order!

xx
How's your plot coping with the weather

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 19:59
by New shoot
xx
How are your crops coping with this year's weather?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post August 08, 2020, 16:22
by Flowertot
xx
Is this one of the worst summers we have had???

Started by kizza on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post July 08, 2007, 20:09
by mum of 3
xx
Coping with clubroot

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 20:21
by Christine

Page created in 0.353 seconds with 37 queries.