Hedge problem!!

• 9 Replies

arh

Hedge problem!!
« on: June 07, 2017, 13:23 »
Hi all, I have a problem with part of my hedge, I am uploading 4 photos to show the problem. I am going up to the garden centre with a twig to show them, but, to be honest, I want an unbiased opinion. I think that the problem is pollution. But it may not be. The bit of hedge that is only affected is the bit on the corner, which is a junction of a minor road and the main road, and some patches close to the corner. The main road, which is one-way, has 80,000 vehicles a week travelling along it. That's official.
I believe that it's the traffic from the minor road, "a", waiting to exit onto the main road, "b" accelerating away from a standstill, "c", changing gears as they speed up, because this seems to be the pattern of damaged/dying hedge, a bit or two, one cars length away from the corner on the minor road, a length of approx 4m starting just after the junction, and some small, (1-11/2m) patches down the main road. But pollution aside, can anyone identify the problem from the leaf photos of what it might be. I have more photos!!. Thank you for looking. arh.
SS850929.JPG
SS850936.JPG
SS850937.JPG
SS850928.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Hedge problem!!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 13:32 »
Most experts say that hedges cope well with pollution, so not sure if it could be the traffic fumes causing the dieback.

Could be a virus or insect problem?

arh

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 15:53 »
Thank you Mum for that swift reply. I went up to the garden centre, but they were not very helpful. "It could be pollution, it  could be mites or green fly, it could be salt". Why green fly and/or mites will attack the same bushes 2 years in a row and not the ones next to them beats me ::). Failing better advice, I'll spray the hedge with Pyrethrum, it cannot do any harm, any blow off will sort out any flies/mites on the plot.(when the wind dies down  :ohmy:)

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 16:27 »
Apparently privet sometimes gets attacked by fungal diseases, maybe its that? If you do a search for privet wilt there's some info about it - not sure what to do about it though.

arh

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 16:40 »
Thank you for that Robinahood, I'll look that up. arh.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2017, 16:46 »
I know I've lost a great deal of my conifer hedge over the last 2 years.  I thought it could be because of some kind of root rot?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/Profile?pid=542

arh

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 07:38 »
Thank you both for the replies. I looked up, (and am still looking up), Priyet Wilt. I am beginning to think that this is what it might be, but I haven't seen a photo of the leaves of a hedge with this problem yet, plus the solution seems to be a bit hit and miss, quote, "high potassium, low nitrogen fertilizer may help with the problem", I will get in touch with the RHS today, and find out whether, (and what), I can send them for an opinion. Whilst that is ongoing, I'll spray the hedge with Pyrethrum to eradicate any mites/flies etc. Thank you both again. arh.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 08:42 »
I know I've lost a great deal of my conifer hedge over the last 2 years.  I thought it could be because of some kind of root rot?

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/Profile?pid=542

There was an insect I think a couple of years ago back causing problems with conifer die back☹️
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

arh

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 16:01 »
I have sent some samples and photos to the RHS at Wisley today.Here's hoping that its an insect problem, (I have a 20L backpack sprayer,  :D ). But I've a suspicion that Robinahood hit the nail on the head with Wilt. Time and the RHS will tell. I'll update this thread when they come back to me. Thanks again all. arh.

arh

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2017, 09:27 »
UPDATE, Believe it or not, I posted my samples to the RHS on Thursday and I have heard back from them this morning, how's that for service  :ohmy: :ohmy:, and the good news isssssssss. "It's insects"
I quote "the leaf curling and distortion on your Privet has been caused by a rather severe infestation of the privet aphid Myzus Ligustri".
First thing Monday, out comes the sprayer, (filled with a Pyrethrum solution).

xx
Beech hedge problem

Started by soaplady on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:50
by soaplady
xx
Anyone know what my hedge is?

Started by Ice on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 14:34
by Ice
xx
New box hedge not doing well ..

Started by rookie1 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 18:11
by sion01
xx
a new hedge !!!!!

Started by wiskerman on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post November 11, 2008, 16:20
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 35 queries.