SOAKAWAY

• 6 Replies

ANNAJ

SOAKAWAY
« on: April 12, 2017, 14:33 »
Hi, we're thinking of buying a house that has to have a soak away from the septic tank put in right where I wanted to keep some chickens. If we plant grass would it still be ok to keep the hens there? Thanks for your time.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: SOAKAWAY
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 20:21 »
Hi and welcome to the forum  :)

If you have a choice, I would pick another spot.  Its probably fine most of the time, but if the tank did overflow you would have to get the birds off that ground to avoid making them ill or contaminating the eggs.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 20:50 »
Why do you need to put in a new soakaway and do you know where the present one goes.

Channel the soakaway downhill and have other channels going off it. What pipe are you planning on using.

A previous owner has the back rooves go into the septic tank!!!, so we had it emptied recently as ground levelwas wet in winter. We have 2 waterbutts for the 1 roof and so ran the hose from them into what use to be a pond and left the taps open.

I think a part of the soakaway was where the chickens are as it was damp when everywhere else was dry..they now have a concrete base.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 20:53 »
The present owners should have the tank emptied, we pay £70, and if it does need a new soakaway then they should do it, cost about £200.
Also ask to see the receipt when it was last emptied just in case there are problems with the tank.

ANNAJ

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 21:01 »
thanks all. It was the health implications I was asking about really (we are getting quotes for the work), and I agree I think the chickens and soak away need to be in separate areas. We will have limited space but think it can be done. Thanks again.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 21:07 »
Soakawys go fairly deep and only clean water goes down soakaways as solids sink to the bottom of the tank.

Mine freerange and never have any problems.

Flowerpower136

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 19:27 »
Tops of our two concrete septic tanks are actually part of the floor area of the chicken run and the soakaway goes under part of the lawn.  Never have any problems with either and it's where we have our sun loungers so think we'd notice!

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 36 queries.