What I did on the plot today 2017

• 513 Replies

greenjay

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2017
« Reply #420 on: August 08, 2017, 20:37 »
cut off all the potato haulms. hope I have not left it to late as they were quite diseased.

Aled

« Reply #421 on: August 12, 2017, 11:51 »
Done some harvesting and weeding. The plot has been invaded quite badly by a purple leafed plant which produces a blue flower,  that I've got growing in the gaps in the tarmac on the area we park the car. It looks like it may need some serious weedkiller to control it before next spring.
Cheers
Aled

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #422 on: August 12, 2017, 17:37 »
Got some weeds out and sowed a last lot of eskimo carrot seed for winter harvesting.

miggs

« Reply #423 on: August 13, 2017, 11:53 »
Pulled the remaining approx 100 Onions, left them to dry for a few days. Hoed all the beds, strimmed all the paths, tied up some Toms, pinching out side shoots as I went. Brought home the first batch of approx 100 onions, put them on the drying racks at home to keep an eye on them.
Done all the above because I flying to Cork at 5pm until midweek with work.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #424 on: August 13, 2017, 14:10 »
Took my Howard 220 (with a 5hp Honda engine) onto the plot Saturday afternoon. Had a good go at tilling the green manure patch. It was hard work, as all the plants (Buckwheat and Borage) got tangled up and needed to be chopped up more). The soil was claggy as well which didn't help. Managed to get it done to an extent but left it when I got tired of it. Think I'll get some black polythene or weed suppressant fabric to cover it over winter. Put some horse muck down first though.. First I might sow a load of hot mustard to kill off any pests as I got a lot of wireworm damage to my spuds last year (and slugs etc.)

Also decided to give a spent spud row a quick going over as I still had a bit of petrol left in the Howard. I don't like putting it in my van when it's still got petrol in - H&S and all that, plus it stinks if it leaks..

This is where my winter cabbage is going.. Seedlings are on my windowsill at home.

Also went over a patch that hasn't been touched in years. It had brambles, rasps and a lot if weeds on it.

Before..

After..

Gone are the old, knackered blackberry, and gooseberry bushes. For what they were, they were a waste of space and very woody/dead.

Next door neighbour gave me a marrow, some runner beans and some beetroot as well as some small spuds for boiling. Sunday tea is looking good  :tongue2:

And here's a walkaround...
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 14:15 by Rhys »
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Thrutchington

• Experienced Member
  • Now then!
« Reply #425 on: August 16, 2017, 21:15 »
Brown spots on potato haulms so cut them all off!

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #426 on: August 16, 2017, 23:33 »
Today idug a trench ready for next years runner beans, 2ft wide x 2ft deep x the width of the plot 18ft. Then half filled it with manure left over from last year and topped it up to the top with all sorts, spent marrow plants, rhubarb leaves, grass cuttings from the plot paths, summer apple tree prunings , turnips gone to seed, beetroot leaves, and also some tea bags and coffee grounds. Once we have taken down the bean plants they too will go in I may even top off with comfrey and then around mid September backfill and leave nature do its thing.

Fail to prepare = prepare to fail

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #427 on: August 19, 2017, 23:40 »
Tidied up around the plot, harvested loads as per the other thread, meant to sow a row of swedes but forgot to take them with me. Filled  next years bean trench more with plot cuttings then went home cut the lawn and trimmed the shrubs and hedges and took them down and put the grass in the bean trench and the cuttings in the compost bins

frizzy

« Reply #428 on: August 26, 2017, 17:13 »
Spent 5 hours cutting back the massive hedge using manual tools. My hands are now swollen and throbbing. Once I start doing something can't rest until it's done!

chillimummy

« Reply #429 on: August 27, 2017, 20:11 »
Not been to plot for few weeks due to hols so was expecting lots of weeds  ;)
Wasn't too horrendous.
Dug up last of charlotte potatoes. Chopped foliage from my desiree as they were looking bit shriveled. Hopefully ok.
Dug up few more red and white onions.
Lifted net from my brassicas and attempted to weed area. Managed to make it look a bit better. More weeding next visit.
Picked a small cabbage, at least it was small by the time I had pulled all the tatty leaves off  ;)
Rest of brassicas looking better than I have grown them before.
Pulled a few turnips, no damage at all.
Picked some plums, so many on the ground and damaged. Need to go back for more with a bigger container  :)
Picked large courgette.
Need few more visits until I feel like weeds are under control but lovely to see how things have grown.

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

miggs

« Reply #430 on: August 28, 2017, 15:29 »
Just had a shower after a couple of hours at the plot earlier today.
Just a tidy up really, although  I did bring back about half a dozen Toms back. I think I will have to go every other day now to pick the Toms.
I also dug up 1 row of spuds just to see what they are like to be honest and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of spuds I got and at the size of them. I will leave the rest of the spuds for a few weeks now, before digging them up. Looking at the amount I got from 1 row, I should be OK for spuds for a very long time.

chillimummy

« Reply #431 on: August 29, 2017, 22:28 »
Another visit trying to catch up with weeding. ;)
Dug over and weeded where charlotte potatoes had been and carried on digging up creeping buttercup alongside my fruit bushes.
Have another patch where seeds sown had not germinated so weeded there, soil quite easy to dig over as had been rotovated.
Weeded carrots and celeriac.
Still lots to do but feels bit more under control.
Have row of weed ridden strawberries on new plot half with an overgrown path next to them which need digging up and strawbs need moving.     

Lardman

« Reply #432 on: August 30, 2017, 21:40 »
Binned all the rio grande tomatoes  :(

Yesterday I saw a potential blight spot on a leaf, today the lot was mush, talk about no tolerance  :ohmy: I have 2 cat litter trays of green toms and not a red one amongst them, someone remind me not to try them again next year.  ::)

jambop

« Reply #433 on: September 01, 2017, 17:57 »
Well we had a goodly drop of rain on Wednesday evening which wetted the soil perfectly for me to get my sprouts, broccoli and cabbages in. So today they were transplanted 30 cabbages, 20 broccoli and 16 sprouts. We will get at least two more months of quite decent weather and then it will go away to more wet and cooler so it will be interesting to see how things go. I could be eating some in the late winter but I hope they do well anyway we can get weather in the mid to late teens right through Nov and Dec however the light will fall away of course.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #434 on: September 02, 2017, 20:08 »
At home, I did a major tidy of the greenhouse and cut a lot of the foliage off the tomatoes, plus bits without fruit on them.  Spaced things out by putting them on the floor, now there is a lot more light getting through.  That freed up some bench space for autumn sowings  :)

Took all the bags of debris to the plot for the compost bins (no blight here yet) and did lots of picking.  I need to go back tomorrow and tackle the weeds  :ohmy:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 51 queries.