Pets with feathers?

• 51 Replies

Paul Plots

Pets with feathers?
« on: August 16, 2013, 12:25 »
I'm not sure anyone will be interested but, as I can only rarely get to my plot at present, I have been persuaded to take up a hobby nearer to home while the plot is kept ticking over.

Many years ago I kept foreign birds of all sorts so when we couldn't decide what to do with an old potting shed someone suggested I keep birds again.

The shed had been neglected, the roof leaked, the floor was rotten and it was in deep, dark shade most of every day.

Decisions were made and the fun began..
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Goosegirl

Re: Pets with feathers?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 12:37 »
Sorry you can't get to your plot as much as you would like, but that looks interesting. Many years ago, my OH used to keep and show budgies. Hope you get the joy from them and you will be able to get back to your plot soon.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

splash101

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 13:01 »
I have pets with feathers too so I'd be interested in your progress  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 13:18 »
The weather forecast looks good from Sunday onwards so you will be able to get cracking Paul.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 22:14 »
Looking forward to the next installment Paul  :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 02:09 »
Part 2:

The potty-shed (as it came to be known) had to be moved away from the tangle of next-door's abandoned wild-life garden and into the sun. Surprisingly the foxes hadn't been living under this shed - they seemed to prefer the larger one that stood next to it.

We agreed upon what we hope will prove to be a good spot but the hydranga had to go.

I wanted an aviary that wouldn't have " furry things" making their home under it so the paved area seemed ideal. It was smack bang opposite my parents conservatory too so they would have a good view even in chillier weather.

I wanted it up above ground level so cats could sneak underneath and deter smaller furry things so the new floor was built on blocks.

We had started what proved to be an interesting project and one I could have a go at in spare moments.

ANHBUC

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:44 »
You are so lucky having a fairly flat garden Paul.  Our garden is on a slope which makes any project twice as difficult.

It is looking really good.  How will the cats get under the block work, are you having cat flaps put in?!!   :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 11:54 »
Looks like he will need a few - perhaps he can buy them :lol: ::) en-bloc!

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 14:29 »
You are so lucky having a fairly flat garden Paul.  Our garden is on a slope which makes any project twice as difficult.

It is looking really good.  How will the cats get under the block work, are you having cat flaps put in?!!   :lol:

The section nearest the front of the photo is the outside flight/s. The part with timber joists holds the shed floor and it's this that I wanted raised. There's the depth of a concrete block between the underside of the shed and the ground.

Does this show the idea more clearly?

I'm hoping this open space below the floor will discourage vermin.  ;)  It will also help prevent any possible flooding if this particular end of the garden is swamped by another year of "heavier than average" / a month's-worth-in-one-day type rainfall.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 14:35 by Paul Plots »

ANHBUC

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 14:43 »
It makes perfect sense now.   ;)

shoozie

• Winner - Best Sunflower photo, 2014
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 22:13 »
Looking good Paul, pity about the hydrangea though as it looks a beautiful bush (hope you salvaged a cutting  :unsure:).  Hope your folks are keeping well.  Great project  :D

spottymint

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 10:07 »
Looking good, would love another aviary, but not going to happen here.

What birds are you planning on keeping ?

I like all the finches, Java Sparrows, Zebras, Bengalese, Diamond Doves as well as the Australian finches like Diamonds, Bichenos, Parsons etc.

Would love a pair of red headed Gouldiens (not Aviary birds though).

You are right to be concerned with rodents, mice can squeeze through  5mm x 1" mesh & disturb breeding birds.

Goosegirl

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 11:12 »
Paul - just asked my OH what he did with my shed to prevent rodents getting under and up inside. We live amongst farmland and there are dykes here as well so rodents of all types are here and, even having four cats, still can be a problem. What he did was to staple the top of some half-inch welded mesh to the base of the shed, then fixed the bottom of the mesh with strips of carpet grippers screwed to the concrete base using rawl plugs. It's worked so far.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 15:24 »
Paul - just asked my OH what he did with my shed to prevent rodents getting under and up inside. We live amongst farmland and there are dykes here as well so rodents of all types are here and, even having four cats, still can be a problem. What he did was to staple the top of some half-inch welded mesh to the base of the shed, then fixed the bottom of the mesh with strips of carpet grippers screwed to the concrete base using rawl plugs. It's worked so far.

That sounds a good solution.

I dithered about insulating the walls of my potty-shed. When I was a teenager I insulated a 12' x 8' double shed with hardboard and cork granular pieces in between. The mice loved it!

This time I've used blocks of material similar to new build home insulation and hefty plywood lining.

The floor is new sheet material - tongue & grove boards. Hard as nails providing it isn't contantly wet.

The roof has been insulated too.

I'm aware that rodents could enter via the door as well as up along the shed walls if they take time to chew their way in. I'm wondering whether a sonic rodent repelling device might be worthwhile. I tried one in my parents bugalow before they moved and it appeared to do the trick.

I've bought a small hoover for the aviary to minimise the amount of waste seed left about and all food storage should be secure.

I really hate mice.  >:(

spottymint I'd love to keep a range of hardy finches as I did way back when.... (I won't go on for a change). This time round I've started with a few budgies with the option of adding another flight on the front of the shed later for finches.

shoozie The hydgranga was a goner... roots firmly fixed below the paved area so I bought three replacements for elsewhere and they seem to be doing ok so far.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 15:29 by Paul Plots »

ANHBUC

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 15:30 »
You could have a couple of quail in there to help keep the floor clear of seed but they will of course make mess of their own.

xx
Pets with Feathers?

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2012, 21:42
by shoozie
xx
New Pet, No Feathers, But Scales !! Avoid if you don't like pets with NO LEGS !!

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

11 Replies
Last post March 18, 2015, 16:50
by LotuSeed
xx
our pets

Started by yaxley on Pets without Feathers

16 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 12:59
by Agatha
xx
Your Pets

Started by mrs bouquet on Pets without Feathers

1 Replies
Last post July 05, 2020, 14:16
by sunnywillow

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 35 queries.