A new greenhouse - any recommendations?

• 12 Replies

Sweetpea C

A new greenhouse - any recommendations?
« on: March 24, 2013, 09:18 »
After 6 years of repairing the greenhouse, the door fell off (again) and smashed another 2 glass panels. I think the time has come to rehome this one to the plot and buy a new one for the house. I really like the wooden framed ones (despite the cost - I spend a lot of time in there so I might as well have what I want!).

Has anyone got a wooden framed one, would you recommend them and any suggestions for a supplier please?
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

ryetek

Re: A new greenhouse - any recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 12:44 »
We have a wooden framed greenhouse which we bought towards the end of last year. Our garden does not have much shelter against the wind (as we back on to open farm land) and we wanted something fairly strong. There are probably aluminium framed GH's that are just as strong but we decided to spend the cash on a wooden framed one in the end. Subsequently we have had one or two comments from people saying that they would not have spent the money that we did as cheaper alternatives are available but at the end of the day it's not their money is it (so why should they worry)?

We spent a fair amount of time looking before purchase. It's amazing how much the quality varies with wooden GHs. It's also amazing how much the price varies too but I guess that's down to the types of wood and glass used to build the GH. Some of them we looked at leaked pretty badly in my opinion even more so than most aluminium framed GHs. Our greenhouse does not leak at all. The glass panels are factory sealed and siliconed. We also went for toughened glass in the end because each panel is then just a single sheet of glass. The GH also sits on a plastic damp barrier to prevent dampness travelling from the base back up in to the wood which I thought was a good idea. The wood is treated and comes with a 10 year frame and workmanship guarantee. It also had free delivery and erection as part of the price.

I have not yet grown anything in the GH however so I cannot yet comment on this side of things (other than to say my over-wintered Calabrese are doing well). I'm hoping it will be just as suitable as any aluminium framed GH. Although our GH was expensive I can throughly recommend it and the supplier. Just search for Swallow Greenhouses. Our model is the Kingfisher. I'm not sure if Swallow sell direct. We bought ours via our local garden centre. If you speak to them nicely they may also reduce the price for you  ;)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 22:04 »
We have a wooden framed greenhouse which we bought towards the end of last year. Our garden does not have much shelter against the wind (as we back on to open farm land) and we wanted something fairly strong. There are probably aluminium framed GH's that are just as strong but we decided to spend the cash on a wooden framed one in the end. Subsequently we have had one or two comments from people saying that they would not have spent the money that we did as cheaper alternatives are available but at the end of the day it's not their money is it (so why should they worry)?

We spent a fair amount of time looking before purchase. It's amazing how much the quality varies with wooden GHs. It's also amazing how much the price varies too but I guess that's down to the types of wood and glass used to build the GH. Some of them we looked at leaked pretty badly in my opinion even more so than most aluminium framed GHs. Our greenhouse does not leak at all. The glass panels are factory sealed and siliconed. We also went for toughened glass in the end because each panel is then just a single sheet of glass. The GH also sits on a plastic damp barrier to prevent dampness travelling from the base back up in to the wood which I thought was a good idea. The wood is treated and comes with a 10 year frame and workmanship guarantee. It also had free delivery and erection as part of the price.

I have not yet grown anything in the GH however so I cannot yet comment on this side of things (other than to say my over-wintered Calabrese are doing well). I'm hoping it will be just as suitable as any aluminium framed GH. Although our GH was expensive I can throughly recommend it and the supplier. Just search for Swallow Greenhouses. Our model is the Kingfisher. I'm not sure if Swallow sell direct. We bought ours via our local garden centre. If you speak to them nicely they may also reduce the price for you  ;)

Thank you, I will look :)

ryetek

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 22:09 »
Thank you, I will look :)

No problem. Good luck  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 22:18 »
John negotiated a discount from Greenhouse stores, which might be useful. I quote:

[size=78%]Exclusive Offer[/size] As you may know from my diary, I've a rather nice greenhouse which I got a good deal on from my pals at Greenhouse Stores They run a lean operation and supply quality greenhouses at the lowest prices they can. However, I've twisted arms and they're offering an extra £10.00 off any greenhouse to us. Just pop the code allot10 in at the checkout.
Incidentally, if you need advice on which greenhouse is best for you they've information on their web site and will help you on the phone as well (for free! 0800 098 8877) - just mention the code allot10 when ordering.
Anne

Sweetpea C

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 22:43 »
John negotiated a discount from Greenhouse stores, which might be useful. I quote:

[size=78%]Exclusive Offer[/size] As you may know from my diary, I've a rather nice greenhouse which I got a good deal on from my pals at Greenhouse Stores They run a lean operation and supply quality greenhouses at the lowest prices they can. However, I've twisted arms and they're offering an extra £10.00 off any greenhouse to us. Just pop the code allot10 in at the checkout.
Incidentally, if you need advice on which greenhouse is best for you they've information on their web site and will help you on the phone as well (for free! 0800 098 8877) - just mention the code allot10 when ordering.

Thanks, I will have a look and talk oh round!

Sweetpea C

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 07:37 »
Oh my, I didn't think it was possible to actually fall in love with a greenhouse. I need one of those. Thank you so much for the recommendation, it takes the fear out of buying things when they are already tried and tested!

ryetek

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 08:27 »
If you look on the website suggested by Annen you will see the Swallow GHs are listed. This means you could get at least £10 off. If you try your local garden centre you may also be able to strike a deal with them. It's always worth asking if you know what I mean ;)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 00:01 »
I've spoken with them and mentioned this thread - if you ring up regarding a swallow and mention the forum they'll see what they can do for you on price.

http://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Swallow-Greenhouses/

0800 098 8877

Don't say I don't try for you  :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Sweetpea C

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 08:18 »
I've spoken with them and mentioned this thread - if you ring up regarding a swallow and mention the forum they'll see what they can do for you on price.

http://www.greenhousestores.co.uk/Swallow-Greenhouses/

0800 098 8877

Wow that's great, thank you very much! I'll call today :)

ryetek

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 08:25 »

Thank you John. That's great.
Caroline1972 I hope you get what you are looking for.

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2013, 22:27 »
I have a western red cedar one from Woodpecker Joinery, prices include delivery and building. They will bespoke for you too.

Now in my 3rd season very pleased with it

Brian

wil4025

• Experienced Member
    • Williams Allotment & Garden Blog
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 17:04 »
Ive just bought a 6x8 greenhouse from http://www.greenhousepeople.co.uk/ and I love it
Kind Regards
Bill

xx
Greenhouse recommendations

Started by thecakebaker on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post March 21, 2020, 00:34
by John
xx
Greenhouse recommendations

Started by blue_cortina on Equipment Shed

14 Replies
Last post June 17, 2008, 21:34
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Need a strimmer - any recommendations?

Started by Cheryl B on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 19:49
by disasterdave
xx
Rootrainer recommendations please.

Started by JayG on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post July 30, 2020, 15:45
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 37 queries.