brussel sprout cage

• 6 Replies

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
brussel sprout cage
« on: April 12, 2010, 13:42 »
im looking to build a cage for the brussels nothing fancy i have some wood to hand i thought i saw some plans on the forums
now i cant find them lol anyone have some idea on what it should look like etc

regards

flitwickone

Rampant_Weasel

• Potato Varieties
Re: brussel sprout cage
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 15:31 »
doesnt matter what it looks like as long as it keeps the pests out, prob about a metre tall for sprouts.

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 16:23 »
Last year I just used bog-standard, cheap posts, about 1 and a half metres or thereabouts, at the corners of the brassica bed PLUS one in the middle of each edge for extra support - and covered with small squared netting (less than 5mm), tent pegged down at the edges at the ground and earth over the bases too - just to stop the blighters getting in.

And I put one post in the centre of the brassica bed, too - to stop the net from sagging onto the plants which would allow the butterflies to rest on it and lay their eggs on the plants etc.

My bed was only about 5m by 3m and it all took just over half an hour to do - with help from a friend with the cumbersome bit ie) putting the netting on.

It worked a treat in terms of pests.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 16:37 »
cheers for the info

jimmytheshed

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 18:07 »
I only have a small plot, the beds are 14ft x 10ft i aquired  a trampolene 10ft across. I have used the two halfs at each end with the extra bits in the middle, scaffhold netting over it, looks good and should do the job this year, aswell as last year

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 20:18 »
I use roofing battens about a metre and a half long knocked into ground at about 2 or 3 metre spacings so about 1 metre protrudes. Put a plant pot on top of post so nets don't rub on post and cover with nets so nets reach ground and anchor with bricks or milk containers full of water or sand. Obviously spacing and then length and width of each enclosure depends on net dimensions.
R

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 21:38 »
I have 2.4 x 1.2 m beds.

I have made some cages to protect strawberries, cabbages, lettuce etc with chicken wire sides, I also have some completely covered in poythene as cloches for the Spring. When the cloches are no longer needed I will strip off the polythene and chicken wire the sides. These will then go under the cabbage cages and make taller cages for the brussels. I only grow about 4 or 5 brussels so do not need to cover a huge area.I've just made one with enviromesh for the carrots.

xx
brussel sprout

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2017, 09:22
by lettice
xx
Brussel sprout question

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 30, 2013, 16:21
by vanessa.xx
xx
Brussel sprout plants

Started by Caretaker on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 19:55
by gobs
xx
Seed from a Brussel Sprout plant?

Started by JohnB47 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2011, 08:50
by Ma and Pa Snip

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 38 queries.