Lavender seedling care

• 9 Replies

casper

• Experienced Member
Lavender seedling care
« on: March 04, 2012, 14:44 »
Hi, I have sown some Lavender. I have tiny little shoots with some tiny little leaves. They appear to have taken although they took just over a week to show and I was a bit worried they had failed. Can anybody advise me what watering conditions they like. I have read they prefer sandy and drier conditions. Is it the same for delicate little seedlings? How wlll I know how much water to give them? They are Munstead type  :unsure:

casper

• Experienced Member
Re: Lavender seedling care
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 14:48 »
Sorry think this sohuld have done on Genral gardenning :nowink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 15:01 »
Duly moved  :)

Don't let the compost become too moist, so no sitting in water, but the seedlings won't like it too dry either.  I wouldn't spray them but water from the bottom.

Learn to judge the amount of moisture in the trays by lifting them up and assessing their weight.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 15:08 »
Ah thank you realised soon as I clicked the button. Thank you I will defo water from bottom upwards and keep an eye on the weight :)

mattwragg94

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 19:28 »
ive got some lavender seedlings on the go, i tried last year but only got 3 seedlings out of 20 seeds  - 1 seedling died so now ive got two healthy lavender plants. however this year i sowed 20 seeds and got around 15 seedlings - only time will tell whether they will grow into mature plants!

ive been misting mine when the surface of the soil looks dry!

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29 »
Thanks Matt, Yeah I wonder if watering from the bottom soaks them too much. I started off spraying and it did no harm. As usual I sowed the whole packet of about 150 haha reckon I got about 20 so far but I can see lots of green dots on the surface of my soil so maybe more to come up so fingers crossed. If they all sprout I can always open my own Lavender farm next to the tomato farm :lol:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:05 »
Watering from the bottom reduces the chance of them dying from stem rot (damping off)

The ones I grew last year I kept in a cold frame over the winter so that they wouldn't get too wet: they survived very well (only lost one out of twelve).

Keeping them out of strong sunlight all day until they are established will also help.... I know lavender is a mediterranean plant but you have got to give them a chNCE!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52 »
Thanks I didnt know about stem rot so will be mindful. I dont have a south facing garden but my pation doors allow light in but not intense sunlight. I have a little 4 tier greenhouse against the patio doors. I wonder if this is ok for seedlings. I only put it up at the weekend  :unsure:

Agatha

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 12:08 »
The little greenhouse should be fine for lavender seedlings as long as they don't move straight from a very hot room inside.  I start mine off in the utility room, which is very cool & then move them out to a plastic greenhouse (on south facing patio) once they are fairly sturdy.  I keep a bit of fleece in the house, ready to put over the seedlings if we get any hard late frosts, though I find the greenhouse on its own is enough protection for a light frost.

'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

casper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 12:16 »
Thanks I kept them on the window ledge in the bedroom over the patio doors, so light and conditions exactly the same, but I can get more into the greenhouse than the window ledge  ;)

xx
Nerines care

Started by Frizzle1 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 17:11
by Frizzle1
xx
Lawn Care

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 28, 2018, 20:58
by jezza
xx
Rose Care

Started by Carrotcake on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2010, 22:39
by Trillium
xx
Lavender

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post February 24, 2016, 17:35
by DanielCoffey

Page created in 0.158 seconds with 38 queries.