New raised beds

• 4 Replies

Brian Green fingers

New raised beds
« on: February 11, 2010, 00:52 »
Hi guys, i've left i t very late but i've just constructed 5 raised beds in my back garden, 4x  8x4ft and 1x 4x4ft. I'm planning to grow spuds, carrots and brassicas as well as leeks and garlic. My concern is that the soil seems quite heavy, I'm planning to double dig and add straw but was after some advice as to what to add & how best to prepare the beds as Spring is on the doorstep and it's a mad rush to get things done, feeling slightly anxious as it's my first year growing. I'll try and get some photos up.

bigben

Re: New raised beds
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 10:37 »
Any organic material you can add will help lighten it and even a bit of sharp sand/ grit might help if drainage is a problem. The spuds will appreciate some manure if you can source any of that and carrots like soil that is free of stones with perhaps a bit of sand added but no manure or they fork. If you have a compost bin throw the contents of that in or the contents of old pots/grow bags.

Good luck enjoy your growing.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:29 »
Straw will take some time to rot down so I wouldn't bother, also it will use valuable nitrogen in the process, well rotted manured would be the best bet for the beds, apart from the one you are growing carrots etc in.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 09:25 »
I built my first 3 raised beds in 2008 and another one in 2009. I filled them with all the useable stuff from my large compost heaps. I also added any useable soil from the paths between the beds that I paved.

It's surprising how much you need to put in them, the soil level in mine is still a good 6" lower than the wooden frame. I did a bed at a time, but i didn't put much in the bed I used for potatoes as they break the ground up for you.

I have put used grow bags from tomatoes in ( I put that in the bed that had just had potatoes in as they are the same family and wanted to keep to the rotation rules).

I think filling the beds will be a gradual process for me. it depends on how quickly you want to use all 5 beds and how much stuff you are prepared to buy in. I try to use whatever i can from my own garden.  But we all have different ways of doing things.

Good luck with the raised beds though, my 4 are simliar width to yours and are 13" long. It's been great growing veg in them and I'm looking forward to another rewarding year.

Brian Green fingers

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 14:54 »
Cheers guys, good luck for this year andtigertoo! ;)

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised beds

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 20:56
by Trillium
xx
Raised Beds

Started by ij rowley on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2010, 17:21
by fletcherbaker
xx
Raised beds

Started by Jasper1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 02, 2014, 21:23
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 38 queries.