Preparing brassica bed for next year!

• 15 Replies

Donnay

• Experienced Member
Preparing brassica bed for next year!
« on: August 18, 2013, 21:26 »
Hello

Next year will be my second year on my lottie. I have been told not to dig over the bed where I'm going to put my brassicas because they like firm ground. Is this correct?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Preparing brassica bed for next year!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2013, 22:06 »
Yes, they do like firm ground.

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 22:06 »
So does that mean don't dig over and leave that bed?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 22:09 »
it does, just gently work in some fertiliser in the spring before planting  ;)

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 22:12 »
I don't dig my plot and I've found that cabbages do well in undug soil.  I grow my brassicas from seed but I don't plant them out til they've made a strong plant and then I make a hole with a bulb planter, or trowel, and then pop the plant in. Firm them in really well. You can press it down with your heel if you wish but be careful. I don't water until I've firmed them all in.

BobE

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2013, 01:20 »
So does that mean don't dig over and leave that bed?

It means that if the plants feel insecure in the ground, due to wind rock, they might panic and bolt, which is posh for going to seed to early.  Prep the ground but walk on it to compress it.  Thats all.

BobE

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2013, 01:24 »
For each plant dig a decent hole say a trowel deep and the width of two trowels widths accross the hilt.  Put in the brassica and fill the hole with water, called puddelling in.  Let the water soak in and pack the soil around.  press down hard to create a secure planting leave a dent around it.  Fit a brassica collar.  Flood with water and your good to go.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:25 by BobE »

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2013, 08:35 »
Brassicas do like the ground firm but not too much like concrete. They do need to be able to develop a decent root system.

If you avoid digging you miss a chance to control weeds and disturb pests, which is probably important in your second year of developing your allotment.

Ground that is not going to be planted until March/April/May next year will have plenty of time to settle if you dig it in the Autumn. Just make sure that when you plant them you put your heel firmly against them to tighten them up.

I may be old fashioned but in my opinion no-dig is only for the experts or the lazy.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2013, 09:00 »
I have planted cabbages and leeks in rock hard soil, with just a core taken out with a bulb planter, and they've done really well.  I wasn't surprised that leeks did well too as they put down really good roots. Cabbages have relatively small roots but were absolutely fine. 

It's not about being lazy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2013, 09:07 »
Now that I've got rid of the hard-pan layer on my plot the only part of my plot that gets dug is the potato bed.
The rest may get a gentle fork-over to remove weeds and break the top open ready for the winter but that's it.

I get sciatica if I do a lot of digging, and think a lot of people have similar problems.

Calling us lazy is not very nice - as we all garden within our own capabilities.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2013, 10:26 »
Compostqueen and Momofstig. I am a disappointed that you do not regard yourselves as experts. Time and again I have read your words of wisdom with admiration.

Monofstig has shown his expertise in this instance by realising that it was important to get rid of the pan before attempting to grow crops which need to get their roots down for nutrients and water. A gentle fork over to remove weeds and break the top open ready for the Winter. Full marks there. Weed control is essential, letting the Winter rain and frost into the surface prepares for a good seedbed and allows the birds to get at pests. How deep he goes is up to his judgement at the time.

I have seen a lot of people who think they can get away with almost no cultivation and end up with poor crops and a bed of couch. Unfortunately they usually give up their plots when, with a bit of advice from those who know, and a bit of hard work, they could succeed.

wrinkly1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2013, 12:53 »
 :)i have dug my brassica bed over every year and dug 1 spade deep.leave till spring and plant. heel them in.never had any bolting.you need air and frost in.get them planted deep and they look after themself. if you find it difficult to dig .hoe the top over. good luck.wrinkly1.

compostqueen

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2013, 13:15 »
This is a Fuego harvested on Saturday, minus its outer leaves.  A really solid heart as you can see. I grew these from seed and planted them out as I usually do.  I use a lot of farmyard manures and homemade composts for soil improvement,  and with brassicas it pays off  :)  They need some oomph!

Fuego.jpg

BobE

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 13:18 »
On GW, Monty is doing a brassica experiment.  He's planted some in a loose raised bed and some in a traditional firm bed, he walked over it before planting.  Watch out for the outcome.

Donnay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 13:28 »
Thank you all for the advice, I'm on a learning curve and it's good to hear different views.

xx
Preparing a Brassica Bed

Started by mrsparkle on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 07, 2011, 15:20
by Goosegirl
xx
Preparing new brassica bed

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 19, 2011, 09:42
by mashbintater
xx
PREPARING BRASSICA BEDS

Started by davidevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2006, 22:38
by John
xx
Preparing Plot For Next Year

Started by Jabba2006 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 09, 2007, 00:42
by muntjac

Page created in 0.368 seconds with 40 queries.