Potato storage times

• 5 Replies

DHM

• Experienced Member
Potato storage times
« on: August 23, 2018, 05:26 »
Hi, next year I'm going the plant the following potatoes, I was just wondering how long these would last in hessian sacks please?

Red Duke of York
Nicola
Kestrel
Pink Fir Apple
King Edward
Maris Piper

Online research so far has drawn a blank, just saying 'will last for months' (what's that then, 2 or 12?!)

Also if anyone knows of a variety that stores for an extremely long time, longer than those above, I could amend my plan!

Cheers dudes. (",)

DHM

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Potato storage times
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 09:04 »
That is a real 'how long is a piece of string' question  :lol:

If you get the storage conditions right, potatoes can hold right through the winter, but spring warmth makes them shoot.  A dry, cool cellar would be perfect but I only have a shed, so I keep a close eye and eat them up early spring.  Hessian is fine if the storage is perfectly dark.  I find paper sacks better in my shed.

Red Duke of York and Nicola are earlies, so are usually eaten as new potatoes.  Kestrel is a 2nd early, but will make an early main crop if left to grow.  They store well.  The others are later croppers and will store  :)

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05 »
Cool. Tbh it was only the last 3 I intended to store as the 1st earlies will go into summer salads and early roasts. The Red Dukes never as long in our house!

So the last 3 could store unti jan or feb then do you reckon?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 11:00 »
Yes you should be OK to January/February.  They need to stay cool, but not freeze, dry and as dark as you can get it.

As I said, I use paper sacks (foraged from work, but ask at the veg section of most shops and they can get you potato sacks their stock has come in), fleece if needed in very cold weather as a double wrap and keep checking them.  Rotten potatoes spread the mould to others, so you need to pick these out and bin them regularly  :)

harry

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 12:03 »
I buy brown paper potato bags from a local farm shop. I store the spuds in my garage and once a week  I empty one sack and check for any damaged ones which I chuck away. I was eating spuds until end of February.😀
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

BeardedDez

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 21:56 »
I have had them last through to April/May but they soften and they need the shoots rubbing off. Still usable though. I tend to leave the Mains longer.

xx
Potato Planting Times

Started by Robin Redbreast on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post January 17, 2009, 20:48
by richyrich7
xx
Potato storage

Started by Muddylou on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 16, 2009, 22:09
by Muddylou
xx
potato storage

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 28, 2020, 21:25
by Yorkie
xx
Seed potato storage

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 20, 2023, 18:41
by brownp

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 46 queries.