New coop - build or buy?

• 17 Replies

justasec

New coop - build or buy?
« on: July 03, 2017, 23:21 »
Hi,
Hoping some wise people can offer advice - I've had a hunt in the forums but can't find anything recent.I'm wanting to start keeping around 6-8 max bantams and first step is organising a coop. It's almost impossible to find one to buy locally within budget (around £300) that is easy to clean (I don't just want an ark) and not sure I'm comfortable attempting to build.

Any suggestions for how to find a reputable online company or super easy to follow instructions?

All help hugely appreciated!

LILLILEAF

Re: New coop - build or buy?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 05:55 »
Hi
If you are not confident about building a coop,keep an eye out on online auction sites for 2nd hand ones,it is coming to the time when people find they don't want to keep them in the colder months,or they just don't want them any more.
Or there is freecycle you may drop lucky and get one for nothing,check every day it changes all the time.
We have always built ours they have lasted a lot longer than ready made ones,my last one i had for 14yrs.
Hope you get what you are looking for be prepared to travel.Lillileaf

jededitor

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 22:31 »
My coops are IBC containers. Bought a second hand food grade one and steam cleaned it with the wallpaper stripper. Cut a chicken entrance on the front and a cleaning access on the rear and used the cut out sections as the doors,

Good and large and very easy to clean. Just clean out the old bedding, open the drainage tap and wash out the bits. Nowhere for the red mites to hide either.

grinling

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:39 »
bantams are cute but go broody very quickly and often, so not a lot of eggs. Have a couple of large hens for eggs.

My coop is from Ebay, but it has always been under a solid roof enclosure, the hens free range. I have had the coop for about 8 years.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:05 »
My coops are IBC containers. Bought a second hand food grade one and steam cleaned it with the wallpaper stripper. Cut a chicken entrance on the front and a cleaning access on the rear and used the cut out sections as the doors,

Good and large and very easy to clean. Just clean out the old bedding, open the drainage tap and wash out the bits. Nowhere for the red mites to hide either.

I had to look up IBC containers I did not know what they are. Can you get ones that are dark inside? Were you able to fit a roosting bar and a nest box above that? How were they fixed? This sounds like a great idea.  :D
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

jededitor

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2017, 23:04 »

I had to look up IBC containers I did not know what they are. Can you get ones that are dark inside? Were you able to fit a roosting bar and a nest box above that? How were they fixed? This sounds like a great idea.  :D

I have ended up cladding it in wooden strips off an old fence panel. Roosting bars are just wood strips fixed by screw from the exterior. Nesting boxes are just cardboard boxes stuffed with the obligatory straw though I might change then to a type mounted on the access door. I'll post a few images sometime this week.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 10:32 »
 It sounds great. Do keep an eye open for red mite behind the cladding.  :( :)

jededitor

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 22:43 »
It sounds great. Do keep an eye open for red mite behind the cladding.  :( :)

The gap between the cladding and the tank is to big for them I think as I have not seen a sign of the red mite in over a year. Mind you when I clean it out I also wash down there as well.

RichardA

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 17:38 »
There are plans out there for free especially if you google without being UK specific. WE have ducks so I am no expert on chucks but our ducks came to us as rescues so we had to act fast and we adapted a dog run. Be flexible in your thinking.
 Is there anyone near you or in the family who could DIY one possibly using scrap or salvage. Any retired folks with a kind heart and a few tools perhaps, shame you are so far away, or I would offer.
I have just sketched out a plan (by looking at what is being sold commercially) to use bits off an old summer house to build an arc  for 6 ducks with wheels (the arc not the ducks!!) so I can move it around the orchard and with a lift out side panel for cleaning out and checking for eggs.
Local buy and sell sites on facebook or ebay or gumtree or even a postcard in local shop or animal feed supplier might turn up a lead.
Best of luck

pekinpete

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 12:07 »
all my housing for my birds are 6x4 sheds just raised off ground about 6 inches to stop rats getting underneath it's easy to put in perches and dropping tray and for nest boxes any wooden boxes that won't tip over all these can be taken out to be cleaned i would apply a wood preservative that's safe for birds inside and out they look nice and last a long time   

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 17:57 »
Coops need to protect against very cold and very hot, redmite, fox safe, easy to clean out etc etc.  Omlet are ugly things but they are cleverly worked out and if you love your hens as we do you'll want to keep them for years.  Scour your neighbourhoood for a good second hand one and you'll sell it on in the future for what you paid for it.

This might cost a bit more but the pleasure you get/hassle you save yourself will be so worth it.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Mr R Design

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 08:48 »
I have just had a quick look on Ebay and there seem to be plenty within that price range that include free delivery.

Two tips:

1) If you go Ebay try and find whichever one takes your fancy on the internet and have a good read up first before buying

2) Where the adverts will say 'suitable for 6 bantams' read that as 4. Where they say 'suitable for 8 bantams' read that as 6 or for dead safety halve whatever the advert says

jcbuz1970

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 09:27 »
Interesting thread as i'm in a similar position, cleared some ground for a run and now thinking about buying\building a coop for about 6>8 birds. Should get it done over Christmas and the get some birds in the spring.
I wouldn't mind seeing some pics jededitor for inspiration.
Justasec keep us updated and a couple of pics of yours as well if you don't mind  ;)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 11:23 »
Have you found this thread jcbuz?

Unfortunately Photobucket's new policy on third party hosting means some of the pictures can't be seen now, but still lots left :)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73179.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:26 by New shoot »

jcbuz1970

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 14:09 »
Cheers New Shoot, should have searched properly my self  ???

thumbup
Coop Build from design to completion - With photos!!

Started by Diggit on The Hen House

90 Replies
Last post May 17, 2015, 21:28
by Diggit
xx
I want to build a run.

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 20, 2009, 19:34
by clairebeau
xx
I need to build a small hen house

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 03, 2008, 17:44
by Cruzio
xx
Total newbies - build thread

Started by Myv8growler on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 17:16
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 56 queries.