rhubarb leaves.

• 5 Replies

sprinkler1

rhubarb leaves.
« on: April 15, 2008, 20:34 »
I saw a chap on big dig making a liquid tea from rhubarb leaves to foliage spray his brassicas to deter cabbage white catterpillar.,but im informed that rhubarb leaves are poisonous,i was going to try it but im not sure now what to do,can any body help?
iii

gobs

rhubarb leaves.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2008, 20:48 »
I'm not certain if they deter anything, but are used by folks for all sorts of things nevertheless, which doesn't mean it works. I don't know.

They are not poisonous, they are toxic, contain oxalic acid in large amounts, you might not want to put it on leaves you want to eat row, cooking breaks it down and time of course, if you are keen to try.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
rhubarb leaves.
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2008, 20:52 »
I tried it last year and it had a big fat 0 effect, all it did was stink.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

digby

• Experienced Member
rhubarb leaves.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 18:47 »
I did it last year and it worked, also seemed to fertilise them, my sprouts grew brilliantly

gobs

rhubarb leaves.
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 19:05 »
Quote from: "digby"
I did it last year and it worked, also seemed to fertilise them, my sprouts grew brilliantly

I heard all sorts of claims about them before, never a fertiliser so far. When you say they  worked what do you mean? What 's your comparison?

Did you use them as above described, ie. foliar treatment, as that got washed away last season as soon as you put it on surely, anywhere, but especially in Gloucestershire. :wink:

Trillium

rhubarb leaves.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 20:09 »
When something is toxic, I'm reluctant to use it in any capacity. There's so much else that's better and safer, like comfrey tea, liquid seaweed foliar spray, manure tea, homemade concotions. The simple task of putting artemesia leaves around vulnerable plants works a treat. Discovered it when one swamped one of my roses, which didn't get a single worm on it all season. Read elsewhere where the French use artemesia cuttings as well. Simple netting will keep white flies off without resorting to something rather tricky as rhubarb leaves.

xx
Rhubarb leaves gone

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post December 11, 2009, 17:30
by Yorkie
xx
A use for rhubarb leaves?

Started by Goldfinger on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 09:55
by Goldfinger
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by pistonbroke on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 19:42
by pistonbroke
xx
Rhubarb leaves

Started by blackberryjam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2014, 22:39
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.392 seconds with 38 queries.