Help my chicken has a cold i think

• 18 Replies

robbiechick

« on: January 06, 2009, 14:04 »
Ive only had my chickens a week and today ive noticed that one of them has a slight runny nose only one nostril and is making a coughing sound. She seems fine in herself shes eating and drinking and running around the garden but i was wandering if there is something i should be giving or doing for her.The weather has been frozen here for a week so theyve had plenty of straw in there nest box and they huddle up together at night.I would be gratefull for any advice.

RC

babe

• elvis king of chooks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 14:19 »
hi robbie. phone your vet and get some auremycillin  (spelling? )or baytril.

goes in their water, and should clear up her sniffles and prevent the others from getting it

robbiechick

chicken with cold
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 20:26 »
Thanks babe ive got some batril in the fridge that i give to my other animals from time to time it seems to be used for alot of ailments in animals. I checked on bella my chicken before and she doesnt seem to have a runny nose or cough now maybe the porraige i gave her was to hot.

RC

karlooben

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 20:35 »
my girls had a  cold an the baytril seemed to clear it for a while but then they got hit again an they  are now on stronger antiboitics, be warned though 2 of my girls that got it the first time round are now suffering big time well one died the other day after her head bascailly swelled , she had what looked like pus coming out of her nosrtils etc , the one that is still surviving is on strong antibiotics so i am hoping we can save her  just keep a very close eye on them .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

robbiechick

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 22:26 »
Karlooben i hope your chicken is going to be alright .With all my other animals i dont worry to much when they get ill its straight to the vets but with chickens i just fell sorry for them outside in this weather and when they get ill there doesent always seem to be much that a vet can do for them.My dad has kept chickens  for many years and has never taken one to the vets and just laughs at the idea of me taking one s.omeone on a web site said there is a live chicken and a dead chicken theres no inbetween but i believe they have as much right to all the help that they can get the same as any other animal and there not JUST a chicken as some people might say. Good luck with yours.

RC

karlooben

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 16:26 »
i do have good news  the one that my farmer friend has is making a good recovery and i should be able to get her back the weekend , her face has gone down an the pus has all gone so yeh i am happy . but today i had another dead girl in my flock , i checked them at 10 am and she was just laying there in the nest box and i picked her up and she wass just solid no movement or anything i phoned my friend an he said she could of got cold from the other day were some got accidently locked out the shed in the cold for what could of been most the day { i was at work an never found them tell 4pm } i said to him i think she will be dead by this afternoon an yes she didnt make it  :cry:  but my friend keeps telling me that livestock means dead stock and i have to keep reminding myself of that , yes i have upset an gutted but she had a good life.

Vember

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 16:33 »
:cry:

Sorry to hear that Looby :(
Sending you a huge hug x

Good news about the other girl though, hope she continues to make progress :)

Sarah :)

karlooben

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 16:47 »
thanks sarah , i have had 2 just simply die on me now and its kinda making me feel like i must be doing something wrong , but micheal hes my farmer freind says that i will lose the odd few in the winter months especailly in this cold we have been having .

but i am very pleased with the other girl making progess wish i had got those antiboitics sooner then the other girl mite of made it , but each time something does go wrong i am learning from it and now i know what antiboitics to ask the vet for the next time they have colds .

Vember

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 16:57 »
It is very sad, but as you have said not only did they have a fantastic life with you but you too have also gained from the experience of having them :)

Poop happens :(
You have nothing to feel bad about, you are doing nothing wrong :)

Take Care

Sarah x

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 18:57 »
And they are ex batts aren't they so they had a pretty hard life until you got them. Don't think you have anything to feel bad about.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 19:28 »
thanks kate , well a fox will hopfully take her body tonite an not leave any edvience behind like the last time i got rid of a dead bird ..i know i am naughty doing this but i dont really have any other way of getting rid of them. there a big well overgrown bramble plot that we know a fox goes into.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 19:31 »
I just put mine in two plastic bags and into the bin :oops: .

karlooben

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 19:39 »
i would do that if i lived here alone but my parents would freak if i did that and i know my 2 dogs would never leave the bin if they got a smell of it . :lol:

Spadefighter

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2009, 11:43 »
Maybe not a good plan to give the foxes a taste of what they are missing though!

karlooben

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2009, 16:42 »
i know its not a good plan but there isnt anything esle i can do with it , the ground is to frozen to dig and after my last time of burying a smallish size pet { about 2 foot deep} the foxes came and dug it up an ate it  :lol:  :lol:  after it had been in the ground a month. poor guinea pigs  :oops: i aint really all that worried about the foxes in one way i have built my run so well that they havent even bothered to try and get in , i know they have been all the way round it as they have left me thier poo to clear up  :lol: but if they did attack then yes i will be upset but i also have to learn to live with them an keeping chickens its a part of life  the two go together in a  way .and so many ppl including farmers have all said that if the fox was going to get in it would of done by now .

xx
Any help with a chicken with a cold!!

Started by whiskygalore on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 21:57
by redjane11
xx
A Chicken with a cold ?

Started by whitley chick on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post July 02, 2009, 10:00
by Hensington
xx
chicken with a cold?

Started by wayne c on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 14, 2010, 21:19
by IMOmimey
xx
re my chicken with a cold

Started by wayne c on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post January 20, 2010, 21:20
by mrs.ploppy

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.