Leeks gone to seed

• 5 Replies

bigben

Leeks gone to seed
« on: November 09, 2009, 13:20 »
Hi - as someone who is new to growing veg - I grew leeks for the first time this year. I started them inside and was told I should have started them outside. They grew quite tall and I put them outside about March to continue. Once they got to pencil thickness I put them into my plot, into a bed I had put a fair bit of manure into. They started to look really good but sadly have now nearly all produced seed heads. What causes this? Is it starting them inside that confused them or could it be lack of water or something else?

HilaryG

• Experienced Member
  • l
Re: Leeks gone to seed
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 13:32 »
As far as I remember when they get stressed for any reason, probably water shortage, they think life is coming to an end and so put all their energy in to reproducing, hence the flowering.  Someone  else more knowledgable may elaborate for you soon!  I harvested the ones that had flowered and made celery (this was grotty too) and leek soup :tongue2:
The less time you have, the more becomes available.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 15:00 »
bigben

I think you answered your own question.

Leeks grow through the hardiest of conditions during winter. Why should the seeds need to be taken inside to germinate?

The most assistance, in my opinion, that you should give them is a cold frame or unheated greenhouse. You got yours off to too much of a flying start and they didn't stop.

There is no need to cosset a lot of the seeds & plants we grow. Please don't take this the wrong way, but so many think that by giving extra warmth to seeds they get an early or better crop. The reverse is true as you end up with weak plants.

When all else fails - read the packet. Did that say to start them off inside? If it did, tell me who packaged them and we'll have words.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Elcie

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 18:46 »
Sorry to hear that bigben.  You could look on the bright side though.  You will still be able to use the leeks, just cut out the middle stem.  Or you could leave them to flower, apparently they are quite spectacular.

DavidT

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 19:28 »
I agree with Dave, most veg are better off being grown cold, rather than under heat. :D

bigben

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 12:39 »
Thanks for the advice guys - next year they will start in the cold and I will be planting in a different place. Hopefully I will not see the same problem
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 09:05 by bigben »

xx
How to get leeks going from seed?

Started by fekq on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 18:17
by Kristen
thumbup
leeks all gone seed

Started by maizey on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 05, 2015, 17:38
by jaydig
xx
When do leeks go to seed?

Started by rainie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 17, 2012, 10:36
by Nobbie
xx
Leeks gone to seed

Started by belto on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 23:45
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 38 queries.