Any one got quail or had them ???

• 9 Replies

Lottieluv

Any one got quail or had them ???
« on: March 31, 2010, 18:52 »
Hi I was thinking of getting quail and wondered if anyone had any or has done before ??? I have had most other animals or (have ). Realy would like some quail only about 10 or so for the eggs few questions

1 are they good layers
2 do they go broody well like chickens

Any other info is greatly taken as haven't got a clue about quial

I know there maybe some coments saying I need to read up on the before getting and that's what I'm doing . Not planning to get any soon want to find out about them first . Many thanks

lucylou

• Experienced Member
Re: Any one got quail or had them ???
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 19:11 »
hi lottielov. Ive had quail in the past. there are different types you can get - the ones i had never stayed still for a moment as they were scared to death of me and fled whenever they saw me! they laid very well but the eggs would be laid anywhere in the run - they wouldnt lay in a specific area. quiite a few people on here have them and find them very rewarding, they certainly are gorgeous looking! - hopefully someone will be along to give you some decent info on them. good luck :D lucylou x

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 19:17 »
I've got three, hatched them from eggs.

Very flighty, easily spooked to begin with, but they seem to have got used to me now, and dont seem fazed at all when I nick thier eggs ::)

Two took a disliking to the third and turned him into a "naked neck", so I have had to seperate them :ohmy:

Don't fancy trying to re-introduce him as they really scalped the poor guy :ohmy: so will have to try and get him some good company.

The eggs are gorgeous, but tiny.

Other than fighting, they are great :)

Spider

Lottieluv

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 19:36 »
I was going to make 5 pens up in side as I have a 50 foot by 20 foot small barn witch is actaly not ring used it's all been set to a few offices and I have the heating running in there so thought in one of the rooms in there I could make a quail room with 5 pens in it I have a I'll room for chooks and ducks sleep in another and the end one is used by the goat and a odd hen that insists in sleeping on the goat ??? So spare room seemed a good idea for quial of I put trios on each pen yen hopefully will be able to limit the fighting . 

Was going to make the whole room a avery for them but now I know they fight won't do this idea 

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 20:35 »
Ive got quail which i hatched too. Coturnix they are. Excellent layers and pretty tame really, although would still fly off given half the chance!

I have never had any fighting problems, except for when there ended up being 2 males in there, then they can be vicious. I could see no problems with an all female group, or females and a single male.

Steve

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 20:51 »
Yes! I breed/hatch/keep them.

It sounds like you are looking to keep the Coturnix/Japanese quails if you are wanting to eat/sell eggs.  There are several other different breeds.  If you want to keep them in an aviary or together it is best that you put them all in at the same time - a bit like some tropical fish keeping - as they can be horribly territorial.  The worst problems are pecking at eyes and ears until they bleed, feather plucking until bleeding, and once there's blood I'm afraid it is quite possible that they will peck away until death.  These harsh problems are better overcome by not overcrowding (which it doesn't sound as though you will intend to) and also by either keeping all females (believe it or not for once!!) or by keeping male numbers right down in relation to females.  Different pages on the internet will give you an overall guide in general from people's experience.

I would suggest you look up a breeder/hatcher like myself for price and history/age of a bird as for one the breeder SHOULD know exactly how old your quail is by the hatch date and is often cheaper than the local pet store.  The problem that you should look out for here regarding bird age is that quail often only live for a couple of years.  Part of this reason is they are fast growing, being fully mature after 50 days of hatching and laying eggs at around 6 or 7 weeks.  You would hopefully be able to reliably buy from a breeder/person that hatches out a bird which was the age you wanted, perhaps at point of lay, and know that you were getting a fair deal.

They are ground dwellers, quite hardy and live happily amongst other aviary commuinity.

I'm wittering on a little as I've had a LARGE glass of red wine (it's been a very busy week  :) ) but I'm here if you want to know any more.

best regards, Amanda.X

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 21:11 »
Hi.... get some, get some, get some..... :D

I have loads and breed and sell eggs etc... and they are lovely :)

I keep two quads in each pen, so two males and six females.... and one pen has three quads in.....

The only problem i have had is with the Italian colouration....I find the hens to be a bit more  nasty than the other colours... but that might just be my bad luck :(

As others have said really..... easy, uncomplicated little birds :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Lottieluv

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 21:32 »
Thank you so much for all this info it's realy makeing me more confdent on getting some
how much ish are they. Cornex or Japanese. ??? And where a eath do I start to look for them I'm in norfolk we all keep cows pigs sheep goats chickens ducks and grow potatoes lol.   

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 23:02 »
Usually around £5 for a pol hen and half that for a cock bird... or if you are lucky, you might get one chucked in for free ;)

Shame you are so far away .... I cant move for them at the moment :)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 12:10 »
I am also about to start keeping quail and very excited about it.
A lovely person on here is sending me some eggs once the incy is free from duck eggs and then away we go!

House already built and run ready to go. Book read (twice, I'm a bit paranoid!). Food will be bought at the weekend. Only about 5 weeks before they hatch but I like to plan ahead!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

clip
Quail

Started by carl on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2013, 18:49
by carl
xx
QUAIL

Started by JANEVANS02 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 29, 2006, 10:46
by Tensing
xx
hi i new have quail

Started by dawn 11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:48
by Yorkie
xx
quail

Started by davidmostyn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 11:56
by mdueal

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 38 queries.