Bl***dy tomatoes

• 24 Replies

milkman

Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 21:20 »
Rugbymad sorry to hear about your toms - I fear you are simply trying far too hard and caring too much for your tom plants - much less effort required next year and you will be cropping well into autumn!  Good luck with your other veg in the show!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

lentil987

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.dancingbear.co.uk
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 21:46 »
aww Rugbyman thats awful. :cry:

I have just has a similar problem with my outdoor tomatoes. Thankfully I have harvested most of them but just the other day I noticed one or two plants not looking at their best and then blow me the whole lot are going the same way. I have managed to get most  of the crop in before the tomatoes were damaged - however I now have loads of green tomatoes that I am going to make green chutney with over the weekend!

I need loads of jars - any idea where to get them cheap?
Every child is born a naturalist. His eyes are, by nature,
open to the glories of the stars, the beauty of the flowers,
and the mystery of life.  
-  R. Search

puravida

• Experienced Member
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 22:03 »
Rugbymad - Really sorry to hear about your week!
What does blight look like?

I've a row of toms growing in grow bags - a couple of regular toms, a couple of cherry toms and a couple of plum toms.

Despite being the better looking plants early doors, my two plum tom plants have faired badly recently - one has got brown stalks and the fruit started to go almost grey. The other looks like the fruit has been eated by woodlive type things.

Either of these blight? Anything I can do??
Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 23:12 »
Lentil - try Ikea for jars.  They do 500ml kilner-type jars for a quid.  I've got quite a few, and they seem to be working very well.  There's bigger sizes too, also a grolsch type bottle.  I think they've just opened a shop in MK?

Mel

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 23:36 »
Oh I am sorry Rugbymad.  Some of mine are going the same way I think, and it could be because the polytunnel was very humid, as some of my brassicas in there went rotten.  

According to another website I just looked at, Blight is a fungus and is spread by spores in the wind or by aphids which have fed on diseased plants (and are then blown by the wind), so it could just be nothing to do with you, just one of those things, but I hope mine doesn't spread, I've still got LOADS of toms to ripen.

There are some pics and info on here....

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Potato_LateBlt.htm

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2006, 07:53 »
Thanks for all your comments and support.  We have been very carefull with watering and ventilation.  Opinion on the site is that I replaced half the soil this year before planting with a dodgy bag of compost from the garden centre. Someone else had a problem with a bag from the same centre I purchased mine from so I am leaning towards this idea.  Apparently if it is stored in damp conditions the spores can develop and by spreading it into the greenhouse I inadvertantly introduced it.

Lots of green tomatoe chutney and I think I have managed to stop it spreading to the yellow plum we have - they are delicious and plentiful.

Regards - Rugbymad.
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2006, 10:33 »
Bad luck, Rugbymad. Sometimes you just can't win can you?

Certainly been a bad year for disease - having lost so many of my onions this year.  Don't you feel that  someone up there enjoys pointing the fickle finger of fate at us?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

chutneymaster

Re: Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2006, 09:28 »
Quote from: "ytyynycefn"
Will my tomatoes ever ripen????  They are now quite big, and resolutely GREEN.  Should I dust off the green tom chutney recipes, or hang in there?  They're "Alicante" in growbags outside.

Any thoughts?

Mel

Picked all the green tomatoes from the greenhouse last weekend, left them in a carrier bag in the kitchen with the intention of making some green tomato chutney this weekend, opened the bag and........they have all turned red !!!........never been lucky.
Eagles soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

greenie

Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2006, 13:07 »
ytyynycefn,

I hope you've had some luck with the ripening. My toms took forever to turn colour (I sowed seed in April and planted outdoors in May). I finally got ripe ones at the beginning of Sept and they have been consistently coming on since then. I think I may have hastened the ripening process when I gave the plants a hard pruning at the end of August. I also noticed a difference with the re-emergence of sunny days after the wet cloudy Aug.

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
Bl***dy tomatoes
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2006, 21:34 »
Thanks for all your help and advice - I found my first red tom today  :D

I draped banana skins on the growbags, but I think it's the warm sunshine we've had over the last few days that has done the trick and started things off.  Waiting for my glut now  :lol:

Mel

clip
Odd looking Tomatoes

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2020, 12:37
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes

Started by dugless on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2012, 19:42
by dugless
xx
tomatoes

Started by colinc on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 29, 2011, 19:42
by mumofstig
xx
tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post May 12, 2021, 19:31
by Linnie

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 35 queries.