Are your logs cut ready for winter

• 59 Replies

Spana

Re: Are your logs cut ready for winter
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 09:14 »
.Is that a fordson major or 65x tractor

Its a 1956 fordson magor diesel.  OH paid £170 in1968, and its still used daily  :happy: He says it gains in value every day  :happy: :lol:

Mosslane, I love your new log burner :happy:

Mosslane

• andjakemakes3
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 11:51 »
So do I Spana, oven cooks stuff beautifully. Made casseroles and cakes and a rice pudding, all of which turned out great. Just have to watch the timing as it does get hot.
Total cost of fitting it here in Bulgaria £202. Same stove alone in UK £489 and thats before delivery. It is a Prity FG. We are very lucky because the factory is only 10 miles up the road and you can buy direct from there.
The reward of a thing well done is to have done it....

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 13:33 »
Finished mine about a month ago, my log store is about 180 cubic feet, it's packed to the roof even the cat cant get in lol.
Just got some more off freecycle last night and have some more to pick up later.
I split all mine with a maul, thought about getting a splitting machine then thought of the extra cost lol
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 13:39 »
I got OH one of THESE. We usually get our "logs" in 3 metre lengths of tree trunk and he uses it in conjunction with the splitting axe. Thinks its great and its all still exercise. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

compostqueen

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 22:06 »
 :D

I sometimes use a grenade to split logs but I often get it stuck  :D I once split apatio  paving slab though  :ohmy:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 22:16 »
:D

I sometimes use a grenade to split logs but I often get it stuck  :D I once split apatio  paving slab though  :ohmy:
:lol: :lol:
you dont use a stump ?

sion01

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 22:54 »
In compostqueens defence I've broken a large part of the patio even with a stump.I didn't notice with al the sawdust about :(

Trillium

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 04:22 »
We used to rent a splitter and always ended with terribly sore backs from all the bending up and down.

Now we try to stick with widths that will fit inside the burner with no splitting. Otherwise, I simply use the chainsaw vertically  8)

Gwiz

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 13:59 »
We had a customer order one of these a while ago, I thought it was a bit, well, you know....
But now having seen one demonstrated I'm kinda thinking where I could put one at home. :) ;)

alko-khs5200l-electric-log-splitter.jpg

Trillium

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 16:19 »
Interesting splitter, Argyllie. It'll keep you working even if the power ever goes out  ;)

sion01

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 21:43 »
We used to rent a splitter and always ended with terribly sore backs from all the bending up and down.

Now we try to stick with widths that will fit inside the burner with no splitting. Otherwise, I simply use the chainsaw vertically  8)

Be really carefull trillium .Most chainsaw chains are made for crosscutting wood.That is cutting across the grain of the timber.There is a special chain called a ripping chain for cutting along the grain.You can get away with useing a crosscutting chain for ripping timber but the chance of the chain snapping are greatly increased.The crosscutting chain can't clear the sawdust efficiently when ripping which effectivly is what your doing so the strain on the chain increases a lot.You're chance of kickback(chainsaw guidebar kicking upwards uncontrolably) are also greatly increased.If you insist on carrying on doing it make sure the chaincatcher is intact just incase the chain snaps and wear a helmet with with a visor at least that will slow down the chain in the event of kickback if there isn't an inertia brakeing system on the chainsaw.If there isn't a chainbrake with an inertia system on it buy a new one.I've worked in forestry/sawmilling for 20+ years and have seen what a chainsaw can do to flesh too many times if used incorrectly.Dont be complacent it only takes one mistake.

compostqueen

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2011, 23:08 »
I'm scared of power tools to be honest. A hatchet is a lethal weapon in my hands  :ohmy:

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
    • Recipes
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 23:22 »
I'm scared of power tools to be honest. A hatchet is a lethal weapon in my hands  :ohmy:
I've now got this vision of you as Lizzie Borden!!!!!!!!!!
Val
Recipes Galore!

compostqueen

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2011, 23:24 »
 :D  :D

Aled

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 09:49 »
Thought I'd join in here as (I know the thread has been quiet for a while), I enjoy cutting stacking and splitting my own logs. I don't do enough for the entire and winter, but it is quite satisfying to see a nicely stacked pile of logs drying nicely in preparation for the winter! Starting a pile now safe in the knowledge it will be at least 12 months before they heat the house!
Cheers
Aled

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 52 queries.