new chickens

• 8 Replies

Martyne

new chickens
« on: July 07, 2011, 19:35 »
I unfortunately lost two of my three Loman browns which were about 3 years old. I now only have one left and want to get more because she is by herself. A neighbour has Black Rocks and thinks that they are a bit more hardy than the Lomans. I know very little about chickens so I am unsure about this as well as their nature. The Lomans were very friendly so I do not know what would be the best type to get. It would be purely for eggs. The local poultry farm keeps Lomans, Black Rocks and Marans. Does anyone have any of these types that they could tell me a bit about?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: new chickens
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 06:47 »
I have a blackrock aged 5 and a English Cuckoo Marans aged just under 5, both are excellent birds, hardy and good layers. However my Cuckoo Marans (Brenda Lee) keeps gowing broody - at the moment she has 13 sabelpoot chicks to look after  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 09:17 »
I've read they are all very good for eggs (in the Haynes manuel) why not get one of each?

Shop Keep

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 10:31 »
I've read they are all very good for eggs (in the Haynes manuel) why not get one of each?

Nah, Two of each.  ;)

Dominic

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 12:21 »
I've got a black rock, she's no different than the other three breeds I have, very very friendly if they think you might have mixed corn, vaguely interested if you have cherries, otherwise, not interested at all.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 13:13 »
I've got 2 black rocks... lovely girls, very friendly, follow you about everywhere (in the hope of food I think). They're both good layers - I would recommend them.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

daisy1990

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 16:08 »
I agree with the suggestion of getting a selection of breeds then you can have all their many assets (and Ok faults!) it is nice getting different coloured eggs too and easier to tell the girls apart (although our Maran and Speckledy look like twins!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Martyne

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 20:17 »
Thankyou for your suggestions I think I may get a couple of each.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 23:10 »
We have 4 Black Rocks and 2 Bovan Goldlines.  I would agree that the Black Rocks are hardier breed they seem to cope a lot better with the rain.  I can tell which hen has laid which egg as they all have different characteristics.

I am sure you will get great pleasure from whichever breed you decide on.  If you are looking for genuine Black Rocks here is the link to the approved agents

www.theblackrockhatchery.co.uk/agents.htm 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Do you eat your chickens?

Started by khelashi on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 00:19
by khelashi
xx
Ain't nobody here but us chickens

Started by Helenaj on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 07:46
by joyfull
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 15:49
by Springlands
xx
New chickens

Started by Springlands on Chicken Chat

4 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 17:24
by Springlands

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 37 queries.