Development of the chick - candling pics (day 1-21) video of hatching!

• 48 Replies

bantam novice

Absolutely fascinating!  :)
Many thanks Casey.  How may pullets did you have from your original hatching?
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Casey76

Which do you mean by "original hatching"?

Last year out of 6 bought eggs I hatched two pullets, both seen on the photo on the last page.  I bought the cockerel in.

This year I've had three hatchings, all about a week apart, with the oldest being 4 weeks old now.  They are still too young for me to be able to tell... however I'm guessing they are both pullets (now comb development yet) :D

bantam novice

Well good luck with them and thank you for the pics and video.  :)
It is lovely to see them start to interact even straight from the egg when the others give a curious peck.

rubenjohnson

i am waiting for your future uploads.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
Have just found time to follow the whole process and watch your videos - amazing!!  Thank you so much for taking the trouble to record it in such detail.

Would this topic be sufficiently informative to earn promotion to Poultry FAQs?
ManicMum

JaK

• Happy half plot.
This post is fantastic. So helpful that I now know what to look for when I have a go at candeling for the first time.

nickybriggs

Awwww i dont know about hens being broody but it sure is making me ha ha ha my babies have been in 7 days now i am having them hatched for me them photos are amazing and make me understand what is going on Thankyou so much x
Humans need to make an appointment animals are welcome any time ;-)

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Very informative - and lovely looking birds. Tell me, have they got feet or do they glide on castors under all that feather??   :lol:

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
That was amazing, thank you so much, loved seeing the progress  :D

rocker

• Rastus. Bearded, boot leg, Bantam
Thanks for the pics & info.
Since I have had my Bantams, from three months, I have been watching my rooster go about his business, & hopefully he will add to the flock, I have been candelling some of the eggs, in the hope.
Over this weekend, one of my hens has been on the nest more than usual,which has led me to think that she is about to produce, offspring. This morning, she came out with the rest, apparently very hungry, I took the opportunity to candle the egg she had laid,  I am pretty sure, it has the required tell tale signs of growth , as I rotated the egg, a darker spot appeared, and moved inside the egg.
After reading all the advice on incubating eggs I quickly returned the egg to the coop,  she was already back on the nest, I gently placed the egg back beneath her. If she stays on the nest, I am reasonably certain that she will produce,
Should I put any food or water in the coop, to help her ??????.

any advice would be very helpful, Thanks
Rocker
any advice would help please

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
No need for food and water in the coop, she will come out for a feed drink and poo.  You don't want her to soil her nest or spill water which will make it damp.

If she is sharing a coop you would be better putting her on her own in a broody coop.  I have 2 broody bantams at the moment.  Each has 6 eggs and I have separated them, one in a coop with run attached and the other I have bought a large secondhand rabbit hutch.  This stops them trying to steal each others eggs which can result in breakages.

Good luck with your hatching.   :) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

10tuppence

This is great !! You should send it too someone that makes books about poultry and hatching
Taylor :)

MrTwang

Great informative thread!

I now know how to make my own candler! I shall commence work tonight!!

Paul.

symonep

• Experienced Member
Our eggs went into the incubator today  :D

We have had chicks hatch before but never by incubating them ourselves so should be fun!
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

symonep

• Experienced Member
This evening one of the eggs had like bubbles of hard stuff on the shell, i had a quick look in the egg by candling and it looks like it is full of crystals. I had to wash the eggs off using the disinfectant  (as they were heavily soiled) that came with the incubator and  the instructions said that you had to fill one of the pots up with the disinfectant and not water. I wonder if this has affected the aggs?

xx
HATCHING TIMES FOR VARIOUS EGGS

Started by muntjac on Poultry FAQs and other Information

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 12:32
by Aunt Sally
xx
Things to consider before Hatching Chicks

Started by Foxy on Poultry FAQs and other Information

14 Replies
Last post June 30, 2010, 07:12
by joyfull
exclamation
Incubators and chick rearing

Started by Aunt Sally on Poultry FAQs and other Information

108 Replies
Last post September 29, 2020, 23:05
by polishbunnies

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 37 queries.