New Start Allotment - Questions...

• 12 Replies

NorfolkVeg

New Start Allotment - Questions...
« on: January 20, 2011, 11:52 »
We have just acquired our allotment, it has been unused for a year and I have a few questions in anyone can answer please.

The MUST have's are:
Carrots
Swede
SWEET potato
Runner Beans
Fine Beans (if poss)
Courgette
Onion
Red Onion
Parnisp
broccoli
Sprouting Brocoli
Cauliflowe
Cabbage

1. There are about 50 strawberry plants that are in their second year, a bit weedy around them and there is evidence of straw being placed around them in certain areas, they are uncovered.  What is best to do with them at this minute - I plan to cover before fruits come as one of the allotment holders told me the pigeons ate the lot last year!

2. The whole allotment is covered in ground weeds with some dead plantings from when it was last used - I plan to strim it this weekend and then rotivate it all (except the wonderful strawbs of course)- Is this the right thing to do.

3.  I want to start some planting asap, my Dad is going to start seeds in his greenhouse to help them start, is there anything that would need to be planted directly onto the allotment in seed form now for this years crops.

Thanks in advance to anyones help

NorfolkVeg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: New Start Allotment - Questions...
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 12:07 »
So much in one go!

Let's have a quick look.

1. There are about 50 strawberry plants that are in their second year, a bit weedy around them and there is evidence of straw being placed around them in certain areas, they are uncovered.  What is best to do with them at this minute - I plan to cover before fruits come as one of the allotment holders told me the pigeons ate the lot last year!

Weed them, try not to disturb the plants. Established ones don't like it. As you say, net when the fruit sets. It's the blackbirds that go for mine - the pigeons don't seem bothered oddly enough.

2. The whole allotment is covered in ground weeds with some dead plantings from when it was last used - I plan to strim it this weekend and then rotivate it all (except the wonderful strawbs of course)- Is this the right thing to do.

What do you mean by "ground weeds". If you rotavate and you have weeds such as couch grass & bind weed, (you won't actually see that at this time of year), you will chop the roots up and re-plant them, thereby increasing your problem. Rotavating is best done on weed free ground.

3.  I want to start some planting asap, my Dad is going to start seeds in his greenhouse to help them start, is there anything that would need to be planted directly onto the allotment in seed form now for this years crops.

No - too early for seeds in the open.

You can consider shallots in February, & onion sets in March. My earliest seeds are peas in late March and then carrots in April.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 12:16 »
In addition to DD's advice, I would suggest you try and assess what type of soil you have; although in time all soils can be improved you will have to be creative to grow straight parsnips in heavy clay, and equally brassicas (especially the tall ones) can be hard work in very light soils.

If your soil is a medium loam in good condition you can allow yourself a little smile of anticipation even at this early stage, unless of course by "ground weeds" you actually mean "ground elder!   :ohmy: :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 12:27 »
You also didn't say if you want to grow completely organic or if you are willing to go down the chemical route!
When i first started my allotment i used Glyphosate Systemic weed killer for my first year.
This killed off even the most resiliant weeds and then i rotavated.
You can remove the dead weeds after a couple of weeks and begin planting with no effects on your new plants as Glyphosate becomes inactive on contact with the earth.
Then you can be as organic as you wish.
That would be your easiest way.

The other way is to dig out all the weeds (very hard work) and then cover the ground until you wish to use it.
This will stop any new weeds from getting hold again.

It is a bit early to be planting anything yet another 4 weeks and you will be able to get things going.

Andy

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31 »
You forgot to mention, Stompy, that it's too early to use Glyphosate yet. Possibly another 3 months yet, at least until the weeds are actively growing.

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:32 »
I'm with stompy but I would hand dig and weed one area to plant garlic, onions etc before you can use weed killer.
Paul

stompy

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 12:37 »
Good point D.D.
I did indeed forget to mention that Glyphosate can only be used on actively growing weeds.

NorfolkVeg

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 13:20 »
Thanks all

So in short, I'll cover as much of the ground as possible with sheets this weekend to slow down.stop weed growth.  Dig over a small section, weed it, rotivate it and then cover it over ready for planting in a few weeks.  I can continue to do this for as long as i have the time.  Anything area I have left un-weeded, leave covered and then I could use Glyphosate in a couple of months (April time) and plant a few weeks later (may for example)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 17:40 »
"SWEET potato"

Not sure you'll get much crop in the UK as they need high temperatures to mature - but I haven't grown them myself

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 17:54 »
Regarding sweet potatoes, this thread is worth a read:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50097.0

Without wishing to dampen any enthusiasm, may I suggest it's not something to take on when new to growing. I'd cut my teeth on the staple crops first.

slowcompost

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 19:05 »
A tip if your netting over your straws. dont use too fine a mesh. I did last year and was told the poor crop was due the bees not being able to get to the flowers.
As the great Percy Thrower used to say
" OI THINK THE ANSWER LIES IN THE SOIL"

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 19:16 »
I just chuck some debris netting over mine (without supports to keep it clear of the plants).

But I don't put it over until the fruit has formed (the bird won't eat it unripe, they like ripe Strawberries just like the rest of us!)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 19:34 »
I do the same, but with Enviromesh, no problems.

xx
Where to start! So many Questions!!

Started by Benny130 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 18:39
by yorkiegal
xx
new allotment, few questions

Started by catweazle on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2011, 21:38
by millimole
xx
We've just taken over our new allotment - I have a few questions pls help!

Started by Folger on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 11:37
by bigben
xx
First allotment - a few questions.

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 12:52
by JayG

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 37 queries.