Building a log cabin on an allotment - breaking rules for foundations?

• 5 Replies

Fleur De Lys

Hi, we've just taken on custodianship of two long derelict allotments in Yorkshire ("before" pics are on my profile here) and whilst we're undergoing the long clearance process we're discussing what kind of structure to build now that the old sheds have been demolished.

I'd like some kind of log cabin with a porch to sit under and a wood storage area, but my husband says that on an allotment no structure with permanent foundations is permitted. But is that UK law or local council law? The allotments on which we have our plots are not council owned but private, and the plot on which we are planning to erect a structure is  unregistered and we plan to register it in 12 years (blimee I'll have my bus pass by then!)

The area where we are planning to erect a structure is fairly private so the structure would not pose eyesore problems (and anyway, as you can see from the pics on my profile, the ramshackle rotten structures which were on the plot until yesterday were already an eyesore!)

Any advice appreciated. I like the look of the log cabin illustrated at the bottom of this page; we wouldn't need the pitched roof, but it does have permanent foundations...
I like flowers

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
when you say your plot is not registered, do you mean that it is not registered to you, or that it is not registered as part of the allotment site?

Either way I would be careful about erecting any kind of expensive building with permanent foundations, even if it were permitted. What happens if you are turned off your unnregistered plot?

If your plot is not registered as part of the allotment then erecting any type of building could contravene planning law, depending on what the current use of the land is registered as.
I hoe, I hoe, it's off to weed I go.

madcat

Also if it is a private site - what does your landlord and lease have to say about a permanent building?  I think the Allotments Act applies to Local Authority sites, private landlords make their own rules.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

Fleur De Lys

when you say your plot is not registered, do you mean that it is not registered to you, or that it is not registered as part of the allotment site?

According to the government land registry, that particular plot is unregistered - this private allotment site dates back to 1910, many of the original owners have died, and many of the plots are now unregistered to any title owner.

Either way I would be careful about erecting any kind of expensive building with permanent foundations, even if it were permitted. What happens if you are turned off your unnregistered plot?

Well, as the plot is unregistered, and as, due to access problems, the land cannot be bought by a large development company and built on, it is highly unlikely that we will be turned off. Ultimately there will be far more man hours invested into tending the plot than financial input. We're hoping this structure won't be expensive; the idea is to use salvaged, recycled and reclaimed materials, which may not be possible with a log cabin of course! The log cabin idea is only the starting point of an idea...

If your plot is not registered as part of the allotment

Yes, it is part of the allotment site, just that particular plot is unregistered.

depending on what the current use of the land is registered as.

It is designated allotment land.

Also if it is a private site - what does your landlord and lease have to say about a permanent building?  I think the Allotments Act applies to Local Authority sites, private landlords make their own rules.

There is no private landlord or lease for the part of the allotment on which we plan to erect a structure, although we wouldn't want to do anything which the old timers on there weren't happy about. Their greatest wish is to see the allotments come to life again after 20 or so years of utter neglect.

HugglescoteGrower

• Experienced Member
your situation sounds quite a strange one. I'm guessing you have already checked with the land registry, who cannot find a registered owner?

registering the land may not be stright forward however.

Our church has been trying to register a strip of land along one edge of the property which has been used as an access road to a rear car park since at least 1879 without success. The title deeds, which are held by the baptist union are unclear about the boundary and depsite the fact that we have paid several thousand pounds in legal fees and search costs which have established the boundary of adjacent land, and still no owner can be ascertained, the land registry will not register the land as owned by the church, they will only register that a right of way along it has been established.

You could consider what kind of foundation you really need, if permanent foundations are worrying you. Rather than installing permanent, presumably concrete foundations, could you get away with building a wooden platform on piled timber?

My other concern would be desirability. If you make it too nice it could attract vagrants as a decent shelter.

When I took over my plot I wanted to build a shed cum greenhouse cum open shelter across one end of the plot but was unable to do so, based on the fact that it would comfortably exceed the maximum allowed size. Whether that size came from the allotment committee, the landlords terms and conditions, or local council regulations I'm not sure.

Fleur De Lys

Our church has been trying to register a strip of land along one edge of the property

...interesting, and such a shame...

You could consider what kind of foundation you really need, if permanent foundations are worrying you. Rather than installing permanent, presumably concrete foundations, could you get away with building a wooden platform on piled timber?

Actually HugglescoteGrower, my husband has just seen the log cabin link I emailed him and discussed it with me on the phone. He said "Looks great. But you've just looked at the log cabin and thought "That looks pretty" without thinking of any of the practicalities, haven't you darling?" and I had to answer "Of course, I'm a woman."

Apparently a log cabin would cost thousands of pounds, LOL, and even if we could afford that (we can't) he asked me how we would get hundreds of huge logs from the street where they'd be dumped down to our allotment. Er......

He told me he wants to do the foundations like he's done for his shed. A floor suspended on some kind of footings. Nothing permanent and no digging out. I feel a bit silly now :)

My other concern would be desirability. If you make it too nice it could attract vagrants as a decent shelter.

Well, they'll have trouble getting through the hawthorn hedge! But you're right, it should look "allotmentish" - I'm really not keen on pre-bought or kit type structures, I like the reclaimed-found-object structure approach.

Thanks for your advice, looks like I won't be being Mrs Yogi Bear anytime soon :S

xx
Foundations for my new shed

Started by landy_andy on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post October 31, 2012, 14:22
by Annen
xx
Shed Foundations

Started by MyAchingBack on Design and Construction

8 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 12:35
by Wavertree Red
xx
Breaking Down Pallets

Started by MidlandBrewer on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 22:43
by p6t6
xx
Greenhouse building

Started by Rich72 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2015, 20:06
by archibtbm

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 37 queries.