Moss in Lawn

• 8 Replies

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
Moss in Lawn
« on: March 25, 2010, 17:57 »
I know this thread has been raised before ::) But, my lawn has moss here, there and everywhere. Please what is the best treatment to eradicate the moss and get a half decent grass lawn?

Do I spread with moss and weed killer? Wait and then rake out the dead moss and weeds? Or do I purchase a scarifier and give the lawn a good going over?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Moss in Lawn
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 18:23 »
Moss is usually associated with poor drainage which can be improved by deep aeration and brushing sand into the holes. Scarifying will help any lawn but is hard work done manually and you still need to tackle the root cause.

My lawn is very mossy because although the soil is very free-draining it is also too low in nutrients to feed the grass, so moss tends to grow at the expense of the grass.
I can't use weed and moss killers on my lawn because I have a pond slap-bang in the middle of it, but find that frequent feeding of high nitrogen fertiliser during the growing season helps the grass get the better of the moss (eventually!)

Horses for courses, as usual!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 18:46 »
Thanks JayG. Sound advice :) :)

So, deep forking and an application of sharp sand it is. But, would you advise an application of moss and weed killer as well? I am talking about a lot of moss here :(

I am a complete novice with anything lawns. Up till now I just go up and down with the mower every week or so when there is a bit of growth.

But, now I realise that the lawn requires treatment and love and care :ohmy:

Thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 19:34 »
When I was able to use them I found that the 3-way treatments worked very well, but you are also right that a "perfect" lawn takes more effort than most people realise to keep looking good.

(Also be prepared for your lawn to look much worse before it starts looking better; the dead moss looks horrible and the grass initially goes a strange blue-green colour!)

londongarden

• Artificial Grass Supplier
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 12:08 »
Moss is usually associated with poor drainage which can be improved by deep aeration and brushing sand into the holes. Scarifying will help any lawn but is hard work done manually and you still need to tackle the root cause.

Hi, great advice, I will pass this on to a friend of mine who has the same problem.

pennsylvania planters

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 12:44 »
Sulphate of iron works well.

gypsy

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 13:43 »
How do you buy sulphate of iron and then apply it to your lawn? I presume it is from a garden centre in powder form to be diluted and applied, but never heard of it before.
Catherine

Glosterboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 13:44 »
Sulphate of iron works well.

More advice :)

Thank You.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 14:27 »
If you do buy or borrow an electric scarifier Glosterboy be prepared to be amazed at the amount of moss and dead grass you collect no matter how many times you go over it.

Moss is very hard to compost so would be better put in the green bin if you have one (unless you are thinking of starting a hanging-basket planting business!)

xx
moss in lawn

Started by Janeymiddlewife on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 29, 2012, 20:48
by sion01
xx
How To Get Moss Out Of Lawn?

Started by whitespirit66 on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post June 26, 2009, 12:58
by Stripey_cat
xx
Lawn Moss

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post March 12, 2012, 15:27
by muckyboots
xx
Lawn woes, moss

Started by AlaninCarlisle on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post October 09, 2017, 19:04
by muckyboots

Page created in 0.171 seconds with 35 queries.