plants that devalue your house

• 29 Replies

greenfinger

« on: May 30, 2007, 10:52 »
thought this might be of interest - do people agree?
http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/Gardens.item/aid/588252LINK

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 11:02 »
I'd certainly go with Leylandii, and Wisteria can only be grown on a stately home. Ivy is a no no for me if on the house !

What plants would make you want to buy a house ?

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 12:51 »
A lovely old apple tree..... :D
"Every day's a school day!"

ORGANICally minded

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 12:58 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
What plants would make you want to buy a house ?
A wavy-grained sycamore tree, or a burred oak - they are both worth small fortunes for veneering purposes!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 13:11 »
I've got no hope then. Wisteria on the front, which flowered for it's first time this year after being threatened with being dug out if it didn't flower, And Ivy growing up the back wall. Which the hens get the blame for, as it was happily growing along the ground until they decided to eat it.

Plants that would make me more likely to buy.. an apple orchard would do for a start. :D

A wavy-grained sycamore tree, or a burred oak - they are both worth small fortunes for veneering purposes!
your not surely suggesting cutting them down are you WG !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Parrot

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 13:18 »
A mature Wisteria is stunning in my oinion,  if you can get it to flower that is.

Layandii`s are horrible things agreed and never been a fan of Pampass grass either.
Spring into Action with BTCV - 1 May - 7 June 2007. www.btcv.org/springintoaction
Help look after your local wildlife and green space - hundreds of fun and friendly eco-events across the UK.

Bagpuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 13:18 »
An oak tree in the garden of our house tipped the balance for us when we bought it. Like RR things growing up the walls would not put us off, the more plants the better.  We've put in loads of trees since we moved in last year, which probably barely compensate for all the trees everyone else seems to be cutting down along the roads  in order to make parking places for their cars!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Parrot

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 13:21 »
Quote from: "Bagpuss"
An oak tree in the garden of our house tipped the balance for us when we bought it.

Same here.  We are lucky enough to have two which overhang the river from next door.  The amount of wildlife that they pull in is very impressive.

WG.

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 13:30 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
not suggesting cutting them down are you WG !
No, no, no, no ...

(except maybe the sycamore; they are just weeds.)

liz from the fizz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 14:45 »
In this garden is a twenty-five feet high very old gnarled and bent apple tree, variety unknown, the flowers are the scent of heaven but through it grows a beautiful white rose with an yellow centre that smells divine then add to this the scented white jasmin the honeysuckle and the two clematis. Its heady to say the least, taken a life time to get this way and we are priveliged to be able to look after it for a while longer.

on the other hand we didnt buy a house because it had two very large wet growling snarling  dogs running free in the garden and the house beautiflly presented had the smell of wet dogs.
If you cant be a good example then you must  be a horrrible warning........

To sit on the fence is not an option

emmalm

• http://plot71.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 19:06 »
The smell of privet makes me feel nauseous when in flower, so that would definately put me off, as would ivy all over the front. Have to say I'd love a mature wisteria on an older property. I'd love mature fruit trees in the garden and a huge existing well kept veg patch.

Would do alright selling ours with good plants with roses and 12 different lavenders in the back garden.
Em x

not organic, but cutting down on the chemicals

brucesgirl

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 19:20 »
Okay, you are going to think I am mad, but for me it would be mature palm trees and banana trees. My garden has got quite a few in and I love them - global warming has helped

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 20:03 »

how can this beauty be a down side to the house.  we've had it flower twice a year at least for as long as we've lived here i think (10 years now)

sure it takes care and a lot of pruning but when it produces such beauty i think it's worth it

crowndale

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2007, 20:45 »
I had 5 leylandi removed before moving into my present house.  It was a term of the mortgage.  They were planted right up to the walls of the house, the nearest only 2.5 feet away!  They were about 40 foot tall when I had them removed.  That was 4 years ago, it has taken me that long to remove the roots and condition the soil for vege growing.  Didn't put me off the house though as the survey was fine.  I'd think twice about ivy on the walls, I personally dislike geraniums but would simply dig them out not  not buy the house!

For me a big turn off is badly maintained block paving (like I have).  That meant a reduction in the price but I still haven't really improved it!  It needs relaying from scratch but will have to make do with deweeding and a good scrub.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

ziggywigs

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2007, 21:00 »
I think if there was an orchard it would appeal to me...always dreamt of having an orchard of my very own and keeping bees in it.

I agree with the survey although felt that geraniums were a bit harsh....my last house had very large leylandii but were well away from the house and as they afforded privacy they seemed to be coveted by the neighbours and myself....noticed the house is on it's 3rd owners since i left and they still have those large conifers.

xx
House Plants

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post June 24, 2006, 16:43
by Oliveview
xx
Moving house & plants....perhaps?

Started by breton on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post October 14, 2013, 14:56
by sunshineband
xx
House / Office Plants

Started by TTG on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2010, 22:43
by cissie
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 35 queries.