When to get back on the land

• 20 Replies

gorymorph

When to get back on the land
« on: February 01, 2010, 16:52 »
hi
   may seem a daft question but when should you go back on the land after all the snow and rain. I have heard people say that it will do more harm than good going on at this time of  year. But just when is it ok to go back on what sort of conditions should i look for.
im new to this only got allotment last april/ may time

crh75

Re: When to get back on the land
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 17:06 »
Good question.

If the soil is wet then walking on it will compact it ruining the drainage, squeezing out the air, and changing the structure.  The bacteria in the soil then respire anaerobically and produce acid lowering the pH of the soil.  

So try to avoid treading on the soil when wet. Using planks or boards help reduce the compaction while allowing you to work.  Personally I go down the allotment every weekend as there is always harvesting and tidying up to be done.  

If you need to dig it over you can still stand on planks of wood while doing it. But again dont' do it if it is too wet for similar reasons to above, also it will be very hard work!

The conditions will be very dependent on your local climate and soil type. I have clay soil at the top of a gentle slope. So I don't get standing water so just wait for a few days, perhaps a week, without rain and normally it is fine.
You will have to judge your's yourself. As long as it is not sodden it should be fine.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 17:10 by crh75 »

ex-cavator

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 17:44 »
Good question.

If the soil is wet then walking on it will compact it ruining the drainage, squeezing out the air, and changing the structure.  The bacteria in the soil then respire anaerobically and produce acid lowering the pH of the soil.  

So try to avoid treading on the soil when wet. Using planks or boards help reduce the compaction while allowing you to work.  Personally I go down the allotment every weekend as there is always harvesting and tidying up to be done.  

Presumaby, then, a good argument for raised beds?  :unsure:

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 17:45 »
hi
   may seem a daft question but when should you go back on the land after all the snow and rain. I have heard people say that it will do more harm than good going on at this time of  year. But just when is it ok to go back on what sort of conditions should i look for.
im new to this only got allotment last april/ may time

Well I did go to my veggie plot this weekend, to yank out the remaining cabbage stalks, hoe it over and stick a bit more topsoil down, but sadly it was frozen so solid I couldn't even pull up a cabbage stalk :)

gorymorph

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 14:24 »
i still have some ground to dig thats not been dug for a few years as i would be treading on compacted ground i presume i would be ok to dig this over as no damage would be caused? Or would it?

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 15:06 »
There's little point in working any soil now unless you've had great weather for a while. Besides struggling too hard now when it would be easier later, you'd not see any large weeds sprouting yet which you could remove in the process.
Wait until you see other gardeners on your site start to work; it pays to follow the lead.

gorymorph

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 15:12 »
many thanks for the advice

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 16:00 »
Went down last weekend, but I shouldnt have done realy as I made things 10x harder than it should have been and now I regret it  :(. Oh well you live you learn ;)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 16:27 »
I'm staying off the beds til things warm up a bit, but still have planty to do around the plot, tidying up the shed, cleaning and sharpening tools, constructing new planters, making bird boxes - in fact, anything that will keep me out of the OH's way  ::)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

diggerjoe

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 16:52 »
I went for the first time last weekend to dug up some more leeks and was astounded to find the ground very dry under the leeks. The plot is usually waterlogged as it is where this year I plan beans I am thinking now it will be too dry. Odd as only ten foot away the soil is wet and looks same - well thats nature for you.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 17:53 »
Not for some time. There is another snow warning. But that doesn't mean you have to wait. I have 6 tomato seedlings just coming through. 12 Broad Bean are soaking. Next I will start off a few parsley and spring onions in margarine tubs. The shallots are sitting on top of pots of soil. The toilet rolls are full of compost waiting for the parsnip seeds.

I am way behind with the digging, not for the first time, but I shall not rush into it. I haven't chosen my pen name without good reason. 8)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 18:45 »
I am way behind with the digging, not for the first time, but I shall not rush into it. I haven't chosen my pen name without good reason. 8)

and that's why I'm not dashing out in the cold ::)

blackbob

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2010, 21:47 »
if the soil sticks to ya boots,you shouldn't be walking on it.
plenty time yet to get started

zazen999

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 22:01 »
We've not stopped being on the land; we have been every week including the snowy weeks - always stuff to do.

We do have raised beds though - made by my own hands.........I rent the lottie all year round so make sure I am cropping all year round too.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2010, 23:15 »
Im working on the theory im going to dig my potato trenches in 3-4 weeks time.

xx
How much land do you need?

Started by Knoblauch on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 28, 2008, 12:49
by Eristic
xx
Land Cress

Started by spottymint on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 19, 2010, 16:20
by RichardA
xx
Virgin Land - now what ?

Started by gillej on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 04, 2010, 22:34
by viettaclark
xx
PREPARING LAND - HELP!

Started by benkelway on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 15, 2009, 22:42
by benkelway

Page created in 0.37 seconds with 35 queries.