Too many treats

• 21 Replies

grumpydad

Re: Too many treats
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 11:04 »
i think i will buy mine, i am likely to leave the lid loose and they will be everywhere, then you will all hear the screams from my wife when she finds them out !!!!!!!!!

lol

martyn

ladyhotspur

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 20:43 »
oww, that sounds good. im gonna give it a go , my girls love meal worms , but they ar quite expensive for what they are i think...or is it just me being a miser? :blink:
No you arent being a miser they are expensive...but well worth it for the girls as an occassional treat  :)

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2009, 23:14 »
to those of you that breed your own meal worms yuk!! - how long does it take for them to change into beetles and then lay eggs and hatch out etc, and do they need to be in a warm place? ive got a few left over in a tub and was waondering if i could use them to start a new batch ? many thanks, lucylou

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:08 »
I think I might have a go too.  I have an empty biscuit tin from last Christmas that might be okay.  Guess I'll google it for the details.  It's got to be cheaper that £14.99 a tub of the little blighters!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

colliebird

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 13:25 »
I bought a handful of live meal worms from the local pet shop.  I put them in a large rectangular vivarium/aquarium with a cloth over it.
I put in wheat (cheap), half a carrot or apple (to give them the moisture they need to consume) a couple of egg boxes, and sometimes put in oats as well as wheat.
It takes several weeks when you first start, for the beetles to lay eggs then for them to hatch. 
I've forgotten a few times to cover the container with a cloth and they haven't come out at all.
The container should ideally be kept in a warm/ish place, kitchen is fine, but in a cold place
they don't do well.  Make sure the container isn't closed hermetically.  They need to breath!!

Hope this helps.
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

karlooben

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 19:40 »
if i started something like that my mum would freak  :lol: :lol:
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

chuckie.egg

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2009, 17:28 »
Is it ok the give a small amount of mealworms now & again to 1 week old chicks?  (dried or fresh)

xx
Treats

Started by cejx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 16:58
by jinty1911
xx
Treats and Veg

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 29, 2018, 22:09
by Tenhens
xx
Treats

Started by Fisherman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 24, 2010, 18:30
by chooksbury
xx
Treats?

Started by LadyPluck on The Hen House

62 Replies
Last post November 06, 2009, 09:36
by AmandaH

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 36 queries.