I'm a bit confused by contradicting info I've been given
A bit of good advice would be welcome.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 18:25 »
Here is the word from on high!

Not too late to chit your first earlies by any means. Chitting is the process of pre-sprouting a seed or potato to get it off to a faster start when planted. As others have said on here, you don't need to chit spuds. I reckon it does no harm and probably speeds things up a little.

First early is just the time it takes between planting and a usable crop. About 10 - 12 weeks. You don't really want to plant before mid-March anyway so you've plenty of time.

Mid-March is about the end to plant and get reasonable garlic, so get a move on and you'll be OK. If the weather is really against you, start them off in 3" pots undercover and plant out when the shoot appears.

You'll also read about sowing parsnips in February. BUNKUM! Sow in a cold wet February and wonder why nothing germinates. I sowed on 11th April last year and have a really good crop.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Novice

• Experienced Member
Too Late ??
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 07:32 »
Once again...thanks for your advice John
We've got the Outlaws coming up this weekend so I can at least sound a bit knowledgaeble in front of my ( keen gardening ) Father in Law.
Then when we've finished the Grand Allotment Tour, I'll take him to one of the seven - yes, seven !! - pubs in the village
No digging today methinks !!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 08:29 »
The only problem is that when you get three gardeners in room, you end up with four opinions!  :o

This 7 pub village sounds nice - whereabouts is it? We had a really nice pub near here. 30 odd real ales and great food. Then they changed hands. The food isn't a patch on what it was and you get the same warm plastic welcome you do in a McDonalds.

Glad I put both barrels on the paraffin heater last night looking at the frost. Brrrr.

Novice

• Experienced Member
Too Late ??
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 17:32 »
It's Toddington in Beds ( just off J12 of the M1 )
I fear that I made too much use of the pubs yesterday evening - today has been a total write off.
Father in Law has kindly taken my seed potatoes to chit for me, as we're a bit short of room, and he made me a nice dibber too.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 20:17 »
Area of contrasts as I recall - some really nice places but getting nearer to the big smoke and Luton.  Been looking at satellite photo's to see if I could spot any allotments there.

Try popping your address in Google maps it's amazing the detail you can see on the photos.

A 'good' hangover is like seasickness - it only makes you wish you were dying. The only real effective cure is not to drink the night before, so that's no use :)

Dibber is one of those much under rated but invaluable tools.  I have one for the leeks made from an old spade handle. Very useful.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 20:20 »
Tight link to Toddington

Thought you might be impressed!

Novice

• Experienced Member
Too Late ??
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 14:18 »
Excellent link John, follow High St thru village and it's then called Dunstable Road....just opposite Mount pleasant Ave are the allotmants, mine is six across the back, two along from where there appears to be a pond ?? It's obviously a couple of years since that was taken!!
Pots now at Father in Laws chitting away, and I've got some desirees on the spare room windowsill

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 14:56 »
Quite scary really... as you dig away some satellite taking your photo!

When the voice comes down from the sky - 'You, yes you on plot 28. Dig faster'

I have noticed that some areas have much higher resolution photographs than others. Obviously Toddington is more interesting than Crewe and Nantwich!

Novice

• Experienced Member
Too Late ??
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 07:34 »
Ha ha ha - maybe the resolution is higher because there's more crime to keep a close eye on, bearing in mind it's ( far too ) close proximity to Luton !!
Many a haapy evening me and Mrs.Novice have spent up on Dunstable Downs, watching the smoke rising from another burnt out car in Luton.

shaun

Too Late ??
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 19:22 »
great site
type in the post code and find a plot ,CH66 just a tadge north half way down the right hand side
i use a virtual mapping programme called "memory map" for my mountain biking its truly amazing (thought this was an allotment site) the detail on that is so good you can count your onions from space   :)
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Too Late ??
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 23:12 »
Nah, it's chatting on the plot for a reason.  I'm not bothered how far off topic we drift as long as everyone is polite and friendly.

I visit quite a few 'techy' forums and I hate the sheer nastyness you get on them. Plus the attitude of superiority towards those who know less.  I mean, what's the point of a help forum where they take the micky if you ask for help?

End my rant mode :)

mark

Too Late ??
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2006, 16:47 »
Thats why i like yours John. i'm a novice and i feel totally at ease here. I'm not made to feel like I'm asking stupid questions. :D

Novice

• Experienced Member
Too Late ??
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2006, 17:35 »
Ditto that - thanks for keeping the website going John, and to everyone for contributing.

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Just how late is too late?

Started by Parrot on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 12, 2007, 20:23
by Parrot

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 34 queries.