How do you get beans on the outside?

• 3 Replies

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« on: March 14, 2007, 15:45 »
I'm fed up with growing runner beans, french beans etc on bamboo wigwams as lots of the beans hang down inside and stop the cropping because I can't find them. I don't have room for rows of beans and anyway don't wan't to grow tons of beans, one wigwam is enough. I've tried to find a way of doing the wigwam 'upside down' so that the canes slope outward but it can be pretty unstable. Does anyone have an idea?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 15:51 »
ok problem sorted make a T from a post and a cross bar . make a couple .make sure the upright is well down in the soil .then hang 5 strings from the top of the T and then grow the beans up them you can do this with your beans and they will hang nice.. also see my dog leg bean frame

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=2100&highlight=growing+beans
still alive /............

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 16:07 »
Can I have some strength details? Not an engineer and always make stuff too flimsy. WHat thickness would the upright need to be to take the crop weight do you think? Lovely idea by the way, and one of those that is so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it... although a bit worried may get up one morning before beans have grown and find some local wag has crucified a scarecrow on it.

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 19:59 »
3ich sq post for the upright 7ft long bang it in 12 / 18 inch or so 4 ft for the top cross bar /twine every 6 inches or so bury the twine in the ground under ya bean plants and they wil grow up it .width between plants depends on how many beans ya want.i want tons to freeze so i grow upwards of 100 plants

xx
bamboo frame for runner and broad beans

Started by Buddleja on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2013, 23:22
by Annen

Page created in 0.147 seconds with 35 queries.