Growing > Growing FAQs and other Information

Aminopyralid - Persistent Herbicide In Manure Causes Problems with Crops

(1/11) > >>

Gwiz:
We get free manure at our allotment.
and usually it's all good stuff.
the latest batch, however, has some chemical in it which has caused wilting and dying off of my spuds.
we sent some of the spuds and manure off to wisley for analysis, who confirm it's the manure that has caused the problem.
the other plot holders who it has happened to, are displeased as well.....
oh well, still time to put in some extra beans, I suppose. :roll:

John:
I've renamed the topic because so many people are being hit with this problem this year and it will be easier to find.

Apparently some new herbicide is being used for dockleaves and other weeds in straw and possibly silage so it's getting into the manure and thence continues its work It seems to affect a wide range of crops, potatoes, beans, tomatoes.

One chap nearby to me says his plot is half dead. The half that was manured.

This is really serious for all home growers and ironically more so for organic growers who are more dependent on manure for their fertility.

There is another question - are the partially affected crops safe to eat?

Since most of us source our manure from normal farmers who could be inadvertantly supplying poisonous manure and the organic farmers don't tend to dispose of their manure we could all be having to think hard about how we grow now.

Anyone with more info (thanks gobs for your input) and suggestions how to handle this, please post.

Gwiz:
According to the farmers weekly, the chemical is called Aminopyralid. It is the active ingredient to: Forefront, Halcyon and GF839.

gobs:
Not at all, John, we were just starting to look into this when Gwiz posted, since then it got confirmed, someone spoke with the farmer, don't know the details yet.

The two active ingredients, aminopyralid or clopyralid seem to be different in consequences, or we just have more experiences of the latter? :?

Somewhat good news, Gwiz, if crop - if any - harmless, not looking tempting, mind. :shock:  :lol:

John:
I've heard 2nd hand that this chemical is a selective weed killer and that it passes through the cow and is present in the manure (poo rather than the straw)

Anybody else heard this? Anyone know if the soil association or HDRA have any info?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version