Smart Meters

• 24 Replies

al78

Re: Smart Meters
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2018, 21:59 »
I have one, and have had no problems with it so far. It is convenient not having to periodically send meter readings to my supplier, sometimes I forget to do it (if I am going through a busy period), and then have to send one after I get an estimated bill. It is also nice to see what the worst energy guzzlers are in the home, so I know what appliances to try and limit the use of.

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 12:21 »
I assume the smart meter will be run on electricity which I will be expected to pay for no thanks.

Was talking to our supplier about getting meter read and they said that as pensioners we are entitled to have our meter read regularly.

Here's what used to happen meter due to be read so get an text to mobile phone that is very rarely switched on due to no signal at home, supplier has been told to remove but never happened.
Being alert I know when the bill is due so I check the meter reading and call in on the freephone number. After I have done the meter reader turns up to read the meter, tell him I have already done this ,but he insist he has to.

So now I ignore all messages to give them a meter reading & look out for meter reader to do the job which is good as it keeps him employed...Now that is smart.

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 13:19 »
At the moment I'm with Scottish Power and they regularly email me for a leccy meter reading (we don't have gas). As soon as I enter it on-line it shows the usage in my account. Whether I'll change in the future I don't know because the main ones all catch up with each other anyway.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 13:33 »
My online dual fuel tariff requires me to submit my own readings at least every 3 months to keep the 'bonus' payment going, which isn't exactly a lot to ask.

Once a year (don't know if it's a statutory requirement) the meter is read by a meter reader - I suspect the main reason is to check you haven't installed some 'interesting' additional gas pipe and electrical cable work of your own!  8)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

al78

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 16:03 »
I assume the smart meter will be run on electricity which I will be expected to pay for no thanks.

The amount of electricity used to power a smart meter is so small, you will not notice any increase in your bill. It is the appliances that are designed to generate heat which are the big energy guzzlers, powering a very small screen is insignificant by comparison.

Growster...

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 16:41 »
At the moment I'm with Scottish Power and they regularly email me for a leccy meter reading (we don't have gas). As soon as I enter it on-line it shows the usage in my account. Whether I'll change in the future I don't know because the main ones all catch up with each other anyway.

Of course, you are absolutely right, Goosers!

Surprise, surprise about the suppliers, they'll all be the same but several points higher soon, even trying to tell everyone that they're 'competitive'! It's not right that the more PC challenged can't get a decent deal, but of course, they're still paying the subsidies for the huge great windmills everywhere - nobody voted for that!

(You nearly got political then Growster, watch it..;0)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 20:34 »
Sticking with smart meters rather than windmills :) I don't see much reason to say no to them on an individual level and I suppose it would be interesting to see the power consumption shoot up when the kettle's on.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2018, 08:23 »
"The amount of electricity used to power a smart meter is so small, you will not notice any increase in your bill. It is the appliances that are designed to generate heat which are the big energy guzzlers, powering a very small screen is insignificant by comparison."

Yes I agree but why not have solar unit that will run it for free like the one in my calculator.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2018, 10:59 »
My online dual fuel tariff requires me to submit my own readings at least every 3 months to keep the 'bonus' payment going, which isn't exactly a lot to ask.

Once a year (don't know if it's a statutory requirement) the meter is read by a meter reader - I suspect the main reason is to check you haven't installed some 'interesting' additional gas pipe and electrical cable work of your own!  8)

I think you're right about the requirement to read them at certain intervals; think it could be at 2 year intervals max.  No idea if this will change post-smart meter
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Growster...

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2018, 14:58 »
The big fiddle is when the electricity companies deliberately confuse the issue by mixing two summers with just one winter one (18 month contract), then loading the future ones with 'projected winter' readings.

As before, they're all out to con you, forget the 'regulator', it's all a fantasy and only there to appease toothless gummint watchdogs!

I'm online for some time at the moment and getting so many quotes, it's a bit silly, but it's our pension, so at the end of the year I can honestly buy Mrs Growster a new hat on the savings!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 14:58 by Growster... »

xx
Electric and Gas Smart meters

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

11 Replies
Last post November 29, 2017, 18:55
by jezza
xx
Energy Bill/Smart meters ?

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 08, 2024, 22:16
by jezza
xx
Smart motorways.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post May 20, 2023, 07:54
by Goosegirl
xx
Smart meter on Economy 7...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 21:02
by Growster...

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 45 queries.