Poultry and Pets > Chicken Chat

Experience of broody hen

(1/4) > >>

Tom Parrot:
Hello readers,
Just like to say about my experience of my first broody hen.
I have had a few hens (for laying eggs) but at the moment I only have two (Hetty and Hannah).
I should point out that Hetty and Hannah are both hybrid Warren-Isa chickens, books telling me that they do not usually go broody. One of mine did.
On Thursday 23rd August Hannah got up late, about 12 noon, but had laid an egg of 52g. About usual size for her.
Later, about 1pm she was back in the nest. Kept an occasional eye on her not knowing she was ill. She seem ok, warmish.
Next day she was in the nest all day and I suspected she was broody. Had a read on this forum and a few books I have. Left her to it.
Meanwhile Hetty was getting a bit lonesome and moody.
On Saturday Hannah still in the nest. But Hetty was trying to get in the nest and Hannah was partly out. But there was an egg which I grabbed and another one had rolled out of the nest. Two eggs normal size for my hens. Later tried to give Hannah some food but she looked at me as if I was mad.
Sunday much the same she looked ok was bright and alert. So left her. 1pm she was out. Nest had one egg 62g possibly from Hetty that morning.
What a relief. For me anyway.
Another new experience from chickens.
More: 2pm Hannah has gone back to the nest. At 1pm she was drinking, maybe that's what she wanted. Also I found another egg 62g. So Hannah is not laying. Understandable.

grinling:
Why are you allowing her to be broody on non fertile eggs?

New shoot:
Broodiness is physically tough on a hen.  I turf mine out and close the coop up once anyone who is laying has done the biz.  They need to eat and drink.  We have had posts on here where hens have died from the draining effects of persistent broodiness.

I also have a puppy cage for the determined.  A few days in there cools down the most ardent nester.

Tom Parrot:
I'm allowing her to be broody partly because I don't know any better, also if that's what she want's to do who am I to stop her.

Tom Parrot:
I wasn't aware that the hen could die from being broody. Just thought she would come out of it when she was ready.
Meanwhile Hetty lost her head to a fox yesterday so I think I'll go and push her out of the nest and coop and into the cage only. She usually sleeps on the top of the coop so should be alright.
Think you for the comments. It does help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version